FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liquid-Cooled CPU Overheating

Post Date: 2021-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nathanisaacson View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote nathanisaacson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Liquid-Cooled CPU Overheating
    Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 7:34am
Hi everyone,

I have a very old Digital Storm computer (purchased directly from the company in 2014) and with good maintenance it has lasted me this long with no problems. Yesterday, it forced shutdown because the CPU (Intel Core i7-4700k) was overheating. Upon restarting, I checked the temperature and it was idling between 70-90 degrees C. I don’t push the computer at all, so I rarely check the temps, but it seems unlikely that this just suddenly occurred last night (it might’ve been happening for a while, unbeknownst to me). This being said, the CPU only feels mildly warm when I opened the computer (although I might not be a completely accurate gauge of this)

This unit is liquid cooled (Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler) but I can’t find any instructions on how to fill up the reservoir, or at least see if fluid levels are normal so I can rule this out. Every forum post I can find for this ancient piece of tech say it shouldn’t require any maintenance, ever.

Any advice is very welcome. It might be time to buy a new computer, although if I can avoid it for a couple more years, I’d prefer that.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 9:52am
My old Digital Storm that I am using is 12 years old. I only had to replace a CPU air cooled fan in all this time. I decided to upgrade and ordered my new beast which should be here Saturday I hope.

If nobody in the Forum responds with a solution to your issue I would call Digital Storm and ask for advice. They always are there to help their customers new & old.

Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:11pm
Sorry you are having this issue.

Is the radiator clean? And if so, then the only other issue to increase temps and have a thermal shutdown is the pump failing. AIOs are sealed and cannot be refilled with coolant.

You can call DS to verify.

Quote nathanisaacson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by hoserator

Sorry you are having this issue.
Is the radiator clean? And if so, then the only other issue to increase temps and have a thermal shutdown is the pump failing. AIOs are sealed and cannot be refilled with coolant.
You can call DS to verify.

The radiator/fans look pretty clean, but I’ll clean them again just in case. If this doesn’t fix the issue, will replacing the entire cooling unit fix the potential pump issue? I can buy the same radiator/liquid cooling system for $70 from Best Buy. Or do you think it’s time to get a new computer?
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 3:34pm
A new Computer is pretty nice even for me a 69 year old Gamer!

But I intend to keep the old beast for server purposes.

My suggestion would be to see how much it would cost to fix your current system then fix it if reasonable then decide about getting a new screaming fast Digital Storm Beast to Game YEARS into the FUTURE!!!!
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:30am
The all-in-one liquid coolers are meant to last 5 years+, and then be replaced. You've gotten very good service from yours. Time to replace. If you ask Best Buy, they will probably install it for you at a store if you buy it there. It's a little daunting to DIY, but not too complex. Look for some You Tubes to see if it's for you.

Right now is a pretty expensive time to buy a new rig. There are parts shortages all over and GPUs cost over double MSRP because of crypto mining and supply problems. There is a lot of talk online about these issues being resolved in the not-so-distant future. If your rig still suits your needs, I'd wait a bit.

Just FYI, 70-90C is not yet dangerous, but there is something wrong. Your CPU is designed to shut down before it can fry.   

Quote nathanisaacson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Cretae

The all-in-one liquid coolers are meant to last 5 years+, and then be replaced. You've gotten very good service from yours. Time to replace. If you ask Best Buy, they will probably install it for you at a store if you buy it there. It's a little daunting to DIY, but not too complex. Look for some You Tubes to see if it's for you.

Right now is a pretty expensive time to buy a new rig. There are parts shortages all over and GPUs cost over double MSRP because of crypto mining and supply problems. There is a lot of talk online about these issues being resolved in the not-so-distant future. If your rig still suits your needs, I'd wait a bit.

Just FYI, 70-90C is not yet dangerous, but there is something wrong. Your CPU is designed to shut down before it can fry.   

Thanks for the response! I’ve already spoken to the DS tech and bought a new cooling system as well as thermal paste and will be installing it with my friend this weekend. My computer might be old but it definitely still fits my needs and I’m eager to fix it before shelling out the money for a new one. Hopefully this solves the issue; I’m not sure what else it could be.
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 4:17pm
nathanisaacson.

As I mentioned earlier my, the 12 year old DS system I am using is still a great machine even after all these years. I think you did the right thing since your Digital Storm system obviously has several years of productive life yet.

But with time, let's say 12 years, it is just about the right time to upgrade like I did while still having a nice back-up system.

Quote nathanisaacson Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by Onkel_Ken

nathanisaacson.

As I mentioned earlier my, the 12 year old DS system I am using is still a great machine even after all these years. I think you did the right thing since your Digital Storm system obviously has several years of productive life yet.

But with time, let's say 12 years, it is just about the right time to upgrade like I did while still having a nice back-up system.

Agreed! I just got all the parts today, so I’ll let you know if this works out. Thanks for the response!
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2021 at 5:26pm
 Post Reply Post Reply