FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liquid cooling leak soaks computer

Post Date: 2009-06-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CJ1984 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CJ1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Liquid cooling leak soaks computer
    Posted: 05 Jun 2009 at 11:36pm

I've had my DS system for two months and generally been very happy with it... until it started repeatly crashing and then refused to start altogether.

I opened the side panel and lo and behold, there's dripping coolant from seals on the cooling mount above the CPU. Sticky blue coolant had covered the video card, streamed down the motherboard and created a small pool on top to the PSU and bottom of the case... Exactly what I was afraid of when making the jump to liquid cooling!

Has anyone else had this happen? With only a 1-year warranty and an issue like this already, I'm really worried about the long term reliability of my cooling choice.

(As an aside, I did call to request an RMA and was told that since I'd had the system more than 30 days, I'd have to pony up all the shipping costs there and back. Really? I can understand that policy for the many types of user-realted software issues that might result in service calls, but this seems like a clear cut manufacturing issue with DS's vaunted "frostbite" system. Read the fine print on your warranty folks!)

(Update 6/9: DS has since suggested they would refund the shipping expenses if, after they had a look at the system, it turned out that the leak was due to a manufacturing problem. My system's scheduled for FedEx pickup tomorrow - hoping for the best...)

My system:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm 950Si
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 6GB DDR3 1600MHz Corsair Dominator DHX (High-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Corsair HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (500GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-ROM/CD-ROM (DVD Reader 16x / CD Reader 40x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Video Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 295 1.792GB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Sound Card: Asus Xonar D2X (PCI-Express Slot Based) (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 3: High-Performance Liquid Chilled FrostBite System For CPU
Liquid Color: UV Blue: Medium Glowing Non-conductive Fluid (Requires H20: Stage 3 & UV Lighting)
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (UV) (Creates Glowing Effect For H20: Stage 3 UV Fluid)
Chassis Mods: 950Si Case Only: Processor & Video Card Area: Drill and Mount Two Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Holes

Edited by CJ1984 - 09 Jun 2009 at 5:16pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 12:40am
yes you have to pay shipping but that is all, btw the warranty is 3 years how did you endup with 1 year?

this is not normal just so you know.
CJ1984 View Drop Down

Quote CJ1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 12:54am
Double checked my reciept and you are correct - the warranty is indeed 3 years not one.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:48am
yup well things go wrong from time to time, that is why we get the warranty and love the fact that DS gives us 3 year warranty so we are covered in such cases.
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 12:09pm
i think ppl really go LC for the looks like myself that and it is probably gonna be the cooling of the future once higher end processors and graphic cards come out
memory running at GHz not MHZ processors running at THz not Ghz lawl cant wait
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 1:18pm
the answer to its is nope. i mean thinking about it u cant really create game for em till their up and running so once they're out we'll start seing games for em in like 3 years. THats probably how long it'll take to use 295's in quad sli to its full potential 3 years
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by inferno23

i think ppl really go LC for the looks like myself that and it is probably gonna be the cooling of the future once higher end processors and graphic cards come out
memory running at GHz not MHZ processors running at THz not Ghz lawl cant wait

I believe that the look of liquid cooling is a major selling point. I mean, it looks freakin awesome, especially when the case is lit up.

As for cooling of the future, I personally believe that there will be other refinements and different cooling techniques that will be mainstream and the current liquid cooling methods will still be enthusiast gear. Speed upgrades tend to follow smaller, more efficient layout of architecture and hence run at similar temps to their predecessors, or slightly hotter. There is simply too much fear of liquid cooling and electronics for most people to accept it. That is akin to enthusiasts who dream about phase-change cooling or even LN cooling, but stick to liquid cooling. It's all about extremes and what the individual is comfortable with.

Cooling with air is still practical for OCs as proven with the new Athlon II x2 and Phenom II x2 cpus coming out. They're stock clock is around 3 GHz, but they OC on air around 4 GHz. 2 cores may not be enough for some people, but most games still can't utilise more than 2 cores and the majority are still running on a single core. IF you run apps in the background while playing, however, 3 or more cores will help. Also, there are only a handful of games that actually use 3+ cores, but I don't really think there are any games that demand 4 cores yet.

Point is, liquid cooling isn't truly necessary for a good OC if you're willing to shop around. I would say that even if you're a pro gamer, you can get by without it. Some of the best cool with air still. Perhaps there's a fear of leakage during competition. I dunno. I always get taken in by the cool factor of liquid cooling and the efficiency factor, but I am a firm believer in keeping things simple. Fan, radiator, coolant, reservoir, and pump, vs fan and heatsink... more to go wrong means increased risk of failure.

BTW, while I understand your frustration, I would simply clean everything up, tighten the connections, buy a bottle of fluid xp+ and refill your system. Clean as you go until you've solve the leak issue. After all, that's cheaper than shipping both ways. If you give up on the fix, then send it in for them to work on.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 1:53pm
wow the amount of false info here is amazing, so LC is does not help oc and temps ha?

and games don't take advantage of quad core either?

so then how is the above chart showing a huge difference between i7 quad core and the e8400 dual core?

this forum is beginning to be full of misinfo lately.

how about instead of sharing our opinions, we share actuall facts and not what we prefer.

does the science that says liquid dissipates heat better then air just goes out the window?

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Jun 2009 at 1:28pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 1:59pm
actually i heard that alot of computers shipping out in stores actually have 1 of those asetek coolers inside i was thinking about using it as an option and they said there were some computers shipping out on it. it's effective it was just i think that there was no liquid to see really. its not like haveing frsotbite tech with 1/2 inch tubing and ultraviolet liquid in it. While thinking about do they have in pulsing UV lights that would be the shiznit lol
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:05pm
dood what is with you and this false info hoshposh. its a forun were here stating OPINONS none of us are COmputer authorities - DS techs  not even u. Mayber some things said arent 100% correct. I dont think you even read ppls entire post u see something and litteraly jump down ppls throats. ppl ask for opinons so they give them if their not entirely correct or misinfo you can always ask DS the ppl who are Certified to do so. i mean Jesus none of us are jumping down your throat everytime u post something questionable
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:10pm
"dood" as you put it, its called science, water dissipates heat better then air, its not a matter of opinion, science already has an answer for it.

I'm here to pass on the facts to the poor users that come here for proper info.

and just to be clear, I'm just correcting false info, I'm not jumping down anybody throat.

but you have tried to jump down mine, its just that you are wrong so you don't' succeed

me and justing have continuously corrected you here on this forum.

a quick search of the forum shows the threads me and justin have corrected your false infos.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 2:16pm
CJ1984 View Drop Down

Quote CJ1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:18pm

@harleyman

Thanks for the kind offer to help, but I’ll likely just send it to DS in case a component needs to be outright replaced.

My system arrived from DS with a 3.47 overclock, and I’ve regularly seen higher on these forums for an i7 chip on air. So, I have to agree with your philosophy in retrospect – liquid looks “neat”, but from everything I’ve read recently, it seems to have a lot less influence on your ability to achieve a reasonable overclock than does the quality of the individual chip itself.

I’m not unhappy with the overclocking on my machine, but I think I’ve learned my lesson. Shipping the system back and forth to DS to fix the damage and the leaks won’t be a small expense… I’ll opt for air the next time around all things considered!

I’m in NC (Raleigh) myself as of about 4 months ago – moved here from New York. I’ve got to say, the folks here genuinely are friendlier. Maybe there’s something to that southern hospitality thing after all.

@widdlecat

I’ve tried cleaning it a bit to mop up the worst of it (partly so more blue goo doesn’t leak on the carpet!) – been getting “F6” and “F3” post code errors. Those aren’t defined in the EVGA manual, but from reading EVGA forums it likely has something to do with the video card – which has been sponging up the drips.

Edited by CJ1984 - 06 Jun 2009 at 2:21pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:22pm
@CJ1984 not so fast, this is how it is, the OC depends on the CPU, in other words, 2 920 chips don't' OC the same, one might do 3.8 on air while the other might do 3.4 on air.

so first and foremost OC depends on the chip itself.

now if you have 2 identical chips that OC exactly the same, and you put one on air and the other on LC, and both are OCed to 3.8GHz, then the one on LC will have better load temps while the one on air will have a higher load temps.

you can read a bit more about it Overclocking Core i7: A Tale of Two Retail Processors its about 2 i7 920 processors that OC differently on air.

so in short that same exact 920 you have, if you remove the LC and put it on air, your load temps would be higher then they are now. Now if those load temps on air are too high then you could not even have the 3.47 oc speed you have now.

so you see LC is picked or used because it looks cool or anything like that. Don't get me wrong it does look cool but it has actual benefits.

I hope that clears it up.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 2:41pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:40pm
sigh whatever dood. i only respond 2 u after u say i've been giveing out bad info constantly and suggesting bad builds to ppl like the last thread u accused me of wasting some1s money. How am i wasting some1s money its his not mine its not like i have his money and bought a system for him lawl. i gave my opinon and i think the 1st amendment gurantees my freedom of speech i might add. FOr example i told the guy u might as well get 2000 mhz memory of 12 gigs of 1333 memory. u stated im prone to waste his cash and 2000 mhz memory has no performance diffrence which is false being able to read/write 5 gb/sec faster is definatley a diffrence las time i checked. i dont think corsair and other would waste their money developing and selling faster memory they know no1 would get b/c 1333 mhz memory was the absolute best out there( not to mention 2 other speed were devloped beftore 2000). so ive never jumped down your throat only defending myself from your accusations. you're the 1 acting like the majority of us are mindless zombies who sole purpose in life is to give others bad info and spend all their money on 6 grand computers that we think would be funny for them 2 have. ONce again we state our Opinons not facts so yes some of it wouldn't be entirely correct especially since most say this is what i THINK not what i KNOW, thanks
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:47pm
first off you were refering a 2000MHz ram to a person that wanted to game, and I said in gaming it makes no difference using the same website you refered to and at the end he same website you referred to in their conclusion said:

and finally here is what the article you have referred has to say in conclusion of all the tests they did:

The Verdict,

Reality check -- for me it is very hard to justify the price tag of the memory shown today, I mean it's trivial really.

See, synthetically we can show you the massive bandwidth the kit offers. It's exactly there where we can show you the scrumptious timings and effect of low latency high-frequency memory. In the real-world gaming experience things are however much different. See, Core i7 and X58 doesn't really have any negatives in it's baseline performance already. With default components it already is really -- really good. On top of that, we assembled our primary test-pc in such a manner, that we would not have any bottlenecks for a long long time.

So yeah, it is really hard to justify a purchase like this from the price point of view.

those are the conclusions the same article you are referring to came to, not my words but their own.

so the same site says the difference after all the testing and a little faster speed of read and write is trivial.

if its a big deal then why is the website you referred to saying its trivial.

they also said:

benchmarks are synthetic and thus may not tally with real-life performance.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 2:59pm
<8) slunK parade View Drop Down

Quote <8) slunK parade Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by harleyman

It does happen from time to time..You can fix it your self actually..Not a big fix by any means....

I never recomemd water cooling for any computer just for an OC...I tried to turn folks away from it till I just gave up argueing about it..

I am of the belief that it is NOT needed for a midly OCed machine.It generally will not lower temps, and sometimes gives problems.

Most machines can and will OC very high and stable on air...

You do NOT get a higher or more stable OC with water..It was developed for EXTREME OCers that really push the limits..And those extreme OCers dom NOT leave their machines OCed like that for geneal everyday use.Just bragging rights.

Those limits are not going from ...Lets say

2.5  to  3.4  on a dual core chip

2.8  to  3.8  on a good quad chip

2.8  to  4.0 on a good i7 chip

All that can easily  be done all day on air..And very cool too I might add...

BTW...If you live near me I will be happy to fix it for you..I'm in North Carolina

yea but watercooling loops look so coooool
:D
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:12pm
see thats exactly what im talking about. 1) i never said 2000 mhz memory is better for gaming i simply said it was better. u always putting word in our mouth no 1says. for example harleyman stated u can get the same stable OC on air as LC and less goes wrong with it. every1 was cool 2 u came and said its amazing the false info being spread acting like harleyman said air rox and LC sux and air gives the better temps no such thing was even said he even stated LC was used on extremely high oC and said nothing of temps.2) i can remeber some 1 stating (that person being u) when i said the phenom 2 has similar performances as the i7 in gaming and posted a chart u said that no1 just uses it just 4 gaming and that the i7 was better for multi tasking and whatnot which had nothing to do with what i was talking about. 3) if ure going to post a quote pls post all of it the end part stated that yes it probaly isnt worth the price to normal gamers but would definately be something for enthusiast. WHich is y we are here we're at DS for top fo the line products at great deals from a great company that produces custom GAMING computers. Truth be told no1 neads an i7 or a phenom 2. ex. widdlecat has an older athlon and plays games fine at high quality. we get them b/c we want the best and if we have the extra cash most of us will get the best. or else wed go to best buy and get an i7 gaming cpu from best buy for a lot less, with less performance cuz it cheaper and will perform with games regardless.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:15pm
correction, user said:

Originally posted by insignia

Here is my config. 

My computer will be mainly used for hardcore gaming.

to this user you recommended 2000MHz ram.

so not body is putting words in anybody's mouth.

as for the rest I'm not wasting my time, I already explained, the reader can come to their own conclusions.

and I posted what the conclusion of the article was, their conclusion included all their test, quotes and etc, and at the end their conclusion was, that no matter what kind of a system you have their conclusion is that the difference between 1333MHz ram and 2000MHz ram is trivial and can't be justified.

their words, not mine

on top of that they recommended that if you are gonna spend that much money for that little performace then do so in a system with... well let me quote again:

If you can spend a thousand USD on a processor, 400 USD on a Rampage II Extreme motherboard and 800 USD on GPUs, you surely will spend this kind of money on 2000 MHz CAS7 Blade DDR3 memory.

so in short they are recommending it for a high-end system with a $1000 CPU (975, 965), $400 mobo(rampage, classified), $800 GPU, (sli 275, 285, 295).

and if you look around the forum you will see for people who want to go with i7 965, I have recommended the 2000MHz ram, but not to people who just want a gaming system like the member "insignia" whom I quoted at the top of this post.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 3:39pm
CJ1984 View Drop Down

Quote CJ1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:17pm
@DST4ME
Sounds logical. The question is how much difference liquid makes at a relatively modest overclock. If I require liquid cooling to achive a 3.47 with my particular chip, but could have achieved a stable 3.4 on air... I'd think twice about going with liquid cooling given the apparent risk.

Interesting article, thanks for the link.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:26pm
My pleasure you can see why I get a little ticked when I see false info being passed around, if I didn't mention it, you would have left here with misinformation.

OK the difference is not known unless we take your system and remove LC and put it on air. like I said if your load temps are too high on air then you won't even get the current OC you have.

what are you load temps now? (temps after playing games for an hour)

as for apparent risk, there is no apparent risk, be careful who you believe around here, take a look at the forum and see of all LC people how many have the same complaint, you will see that out of thousands you are probably the 3rd or 4th person.(not counting mishandling by shipping), so there is no apparent risk, otherwise DS would lose lot of money paying for shipping back to you and spending time fixing LC system all the time, but no such thing is happening, and there is no apparent risk, I mean if out of every lets say 5000 systems one leaks, would you call that apparent? I don't.

I have been here over a year and I don't recall many people having this problem.

but I can understand you having a bad taste in your mouth, I'm sorry this happened but please understand its not normal, just think, if you were one of the guys that has a high OC on LC with much better load temps then guys on air, you would be thinking differently, so don't' let this one instance give you the wrong idea.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 3:27pm
inferno23 View Drop Down

Quote inferno23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:51pm
you know what dood you're always right u know im tired of arguing about trivial stuff. i feel like a little child (a geek at that) arguing with another geek about something stupid like which apple is redder when their both red. you'd think we were arguing over something that matters like will AMerica go to war with IRAn and the lives at stake something where such a debate would be expected. bottom line DS is top of the line no matter what a person gets a 2,000$ cpu vs 6,000$ cpu with whatever specs he or she chooses. I really feel stupid arguing and defending myslef against some one who really doesn't matter in my life just some1 on the same forum (stalker,billionare,actor, or scientist whatever) in the end ill still post whatever i want to post, when ,and how i want to post it even if i have to state this is simply my opinon, and what i think u, can do whatever u choose though so. just the diffrence im not going to waste my time with arguing about tidbits ( like benchmarks, test,etc) like i've been doing with you since i entered the forum. yet since ure still entitlted to your opinon you can post whatever u like without a response from me thanks!Ermm and have a great dayBig%20smile
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 3:59pm
thats the problem, the difference between 2000MHz and 1333MHz ram is hundreds of dollars, and to me and the user that does matter, tho obviously to you the user's money does not matter, that the difference. telling user insignia to spend hundreds of dollars on ram that he wont' see no performance gain from is a big deal. which is why I speak out, if it was not a big deal you wouldn't hear me say sh*t.

but ya inferno23 we agree that DS is a great builder for sure

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 4:02pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 4:01pm
@CJ1984, sorry to hear about that leak. That's the first time I heard of one in ages on a new system. We are going to have to re-build the unit and analyze the leak. If it was because of the unit was built from us, we will re-fund you any shipping costs you have paid.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Alex

@CJ1984, sorry to hear about that leak. That's the first time I heard of one in ages on a new system. We are going to have to re-build the unit and analyze the leak. If it was because of the unit was built from us, we will re-fund you any shipping costs you have paid.

Did I mention how much we love DS, and things like this is one of them you won't get this kind of customer service any place else
tman5890 View Drop Down

Quote tman5890 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 4:06pm
Exactly what I expected to hear from Alex. Rock on!
CJ1984 View Drop Down

Quote CJ1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 4:30pm
@Alex
I'll make the shipping arrangements. I'm fairly confident it's not leaking because if anything I've done, if only because this is the first time I've opened the case since the day after receiving the system.

Thank you for your quick response.

@DST4ME & tman5890
Absolutely, thumbs up on the DS customer service! Ouch

Edited by CJ1984 - 06 Jun 2009 at 4:42pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jun 2009 at 4:39pm
One many reasons why I spend so much time on this forum, cause DS deserves it, absolutely hands down the best overall builder I know and I know them all, well as far as I know , but I do know a lot of builders.

Edited by DST4ME - 06 Jun 2009 at 4:40pm
Doc View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 10:18am
Originally posted by harleyman

HeyFrom West Virginia of all places...

This can't be true, I happen to know for a fact that I'm the only guy in WV that has a PC and its not me.Smile
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 11:46am
Originally posted by DST4ME

wow the amount of false info here is amazing, so LC is does not help oc and temps ha?

and games don't take advantage of quad core either?

so then how is the above chart showing a huge difference between i7 quad core and the e8400 dual core?

this forum is beginning to be full of misinfo lately.

how about instead of sharing our opinions, we share actuall facts and not what we prefer.

HM does not like LC so he says it makes no difference, so then I guess the sience that says liquid disapates heat better then air just goes out the window.

To use your tone, you're full of sh!t DST4ME. First, I did NOT say games don't take advantage of quad cores, but rather they don't fully utilise them. Even with some of the most demanding games, the fourth core is nearly idling during the majority of the time. Also, your example is not of a typical game system. Not everybody runs 3-was SLI... Smile

I suppose next you're going to tell us that at least half our games NEED a quad core to make us uber pro gamers like you! Oh yeah... I forgot. You don't even game. You fold... gee! Maybe you should put your folding money where your expert mouth is and actually buy a computer from DSO? Yeah, once again, your high opinion of yourself and degrading of all the other posters remind me of why I left this board a while back. Since I'm not into benchmarks and more into playing games, I guess this board and DSO aren't for me. I'll catch ya all later! Good luck listening to the almight word of DST4ME. Remember, only HIS opinion matters! He is your GOD!  DST4ME must = Alex IMO.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 12:36pm
the chart shows system being the same sli or not the difference is that the quad core is doing 50% better then the dual core.

the chart is not a synthetic benchmark its a real life performance of fps in games, as clearly shown the dual core is getting 50 fps across the board while the quad core is getting 50% more fps in the game, thats actual game play.

lol if games don't utilize all cores then where the heck is the 50% extra performance coming from? both systems have similar setup, both are using Tri sli 280, both using 1333mhz ram, both have similar setup, so if its not the cores, then what magic is producing 50% more performance?

also when you say don't utilize then what do you mean?

and let me remind you, you said:

Originally posted by widdlecat

but most games still can't utilise more than 2 cores and the majority are still running on a single core

correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like not only are you saying that games don't really use/utilize quad core but you are inferring that most games are running on one core.

BTW its not my chart so I can't be full of sh*t, don't hate the messenger, I'm just pointing out the facts based on quality real life performance show by guru3d, and just about any other site.

---------------------------------------------------------

as for 1600MHz being best ram:

I don't know why you guys keep on insisting that ram or its timing make a big difference in games they don't:

the above show that same speed ram with the same cpu but different timing has little difference if any.

below you see how little difference ram speed makes in games:

Crysis Warhead DX10:

Far Cry 2:

above charts show the 2000Mhz with better timing and of course its faster then the 1600MHz ram, still the difference between the 2 are trivial.

however if you have the money nothing wrong with a good pair of 1600MHz ram with good timings, it won't make much of a difference but if you have the money nothing wrong with it.

the charts point to facts, site like guru3d are quality sites, you want to go by what your perception of performance is go ahead, rest of us like to see facts from actual tests and not just one person's perception.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Jun 2009 at 1:34pm
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 1:29pm
DST$ME, it would be helpful if you could you attribute the sources when you post these charts and graphs? Often, I'd like to go see the original article.
3.6 GHz E6850,       4 GB RAM, GTS 250,   TJ9, Win 7 64-bit
4.4 GHz i7 3930K, 16 GB RAM, GTX 670, 550D, Win 7 64-bit
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 1:38pm
@Bill the Cat I love to but, most of the charts I have are saved while I was surfing during my free time, so I don't have link, I have the chart, however most of my charts come from guru3d which is a reputable site.

the 2 last ram charts above are actually from guru3d also.

but I'm not saying anything new here as far quad core vs dual core in gaming, tyler and skyr both have posts regarding this issue in the forum, since we all discussed this already and they agreed also, as far as I remember.

why the $ in my name?

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Jun 2009 at 1:39pm
sdelu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sdelu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 1:43pm
lol, he was probably holding shift to get the rest of your name in caps, and hit the 4 still shifting.

everyone's so jumpy here!
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jun 2009 at 2:01pm
lol I didn't mind it either way, I was just wondering, since it reminds me of when I do m$

@ bill I went back and looked for the link for the ram article its here

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Jun 2009 at 2:13pm
easytarget View Drop Down

Quote easytarget Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Jun 2009 at 9:35pm
No one should be surprised by what DST4ME posts, just click on the guys name, then click on "find member posts", and viola, you've got yourself a veritable river of opiniated non-sense presented as facts.

Can't for the life of me understand why DS tolerates having this guy as unofficial advisor and de facto moderator, I just assumed they couldn't afford a real one and decided this loser who stalks their boards from his mom's basement for free would do in a pinch.

Anyway, once you do the search, you'll see he always says the same things, never listens to anybody, isn't carrying on a dialgoue with anyone so much as a monologue where he says the same things over and over, always posts the same evidence to back it up, and among other things, always pushes water over air.

Noobs to either this forum or custom builders would do well to ignore him, but often don't.  Given how wide open the internet is in terms of information on building systems, I'm constantly astonished how often people actaully get into dialogues with the guy about builds.

If my buying decision for a custom system was based on forums (and given that DS lives and dies on the internet, that's something they should given more thought to), DS would definitely NOT get my business just based on this tool being given free run of their forums.  Not a professional image the company is putting forth with this character as thier representative.

Edited by easytarget - 08 Jun 2009 at 9:37pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>