FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Liquid Cooling

Post Date: 2008-03-26

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dawgs4ever View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dawgs4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Liquid Cooling
    Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 6:28pm
Other than price, are there any other drawbacks to liquid cooling?  Do you need to change the liquid or are there any other maintenance requirements associated with liquid cooling?
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 8:13pm

Nope, no maintenance other than checking for liquid evaporation after a few years. There is an internal reservoir tank which holds extra liquid. If you run low, just give us a call and we will take care of you.

Liquid cooling has become very mainstream and there are hardly any concerns behind using it.
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 8:16pm
What do you do to check the level in the reservoir? Is it like see though and you can just see that its low, or is it something where you gotta open a lid and check in there?

Ive been sorta curious about this myself...because living in arkansas, the late summers get pretty brutal and even with air conditioning this room isnt the coolest thing around. 80-85 degress usually, mostly thanks to the massive amounts of electronics i have in this room.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 11:48pm
Has liquid cooling really come this far? No maintenance? Isn't there any concerns with condensation still? What about leakage possibilities? I ask this because I'm considering having my next DSO pc overclocked and I know good cooling will enable the best results.

Originally posted by SunfighterLC

living in arkansas, the late summers get pretty brutal and even with air conditioning this room isnt the coolest thing around. 80-85 degress usually, mostly thanks to the massive amounts of electronics i have in this room.

d00d! Are you running vacuum tube amplifiers??? I know that's the only time my room has gotten that hot! LOL

Weasel View Drop Down

Quote Weasel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 10:24am

Since a few months ago I also have been interested in water cooling. The only drawbacks for me are price and worry of problems, but with as simple and some liquid cooling systems are becoming these days it's just hook up and go. Still looks like I won't be getting a liquid cooling system any time soon, but it will be good to look forward to.

Thank you SunfighterLC for giving me the assurance that Arkansas is not full of complete idiots.

probably the hottest my CPU has ever gotten would be 116 degrees (Fahrenheit) so that would be like 46.6 degrees Celsius, but I'm also using an old P4 3.0 GHz with stock cooling (and I think no thermal paste). That was in the hot days of summer and doesn’t normally reach that high.

I have had it reach about 116 degrees in the middle of winter only because I have the heater blowing heat in front of the intake fans (stupid me) but to fix that just move the heater and problem solved...lol

P.S. You may also know me from the Configuration Discussion as "Somebody".

Edited by Weasel - 28 Mar 2008 at 10:36am
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 7:13pm
Hey now, actually arkansas IS full of complete idiots. Im not a native, I moved down here about 3 years ago from Michigan. =P.

and to answer widdle, its a "bonus" room upstairs, in fact its the only upstairs in my house, its surrounded on all sides by empty attic space, and it basically comes with no insulation around it, and there is only 1 air duct to it even though its a fairly large room. If youve ever been in an attic of a house during summer youll know damn hot it gets up there, most that heat transfers into that room as well. And of course the electronics cook it even worse. Im thinking of maybe just keeping this new DS computer downstairs out of that hell hole.
Weasel View Drop Down

Quote Weasel Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Mar 2008 at 9:11am
Originally posted by SunfighterLC

I moved down here about 3 years ago from Michigan. =P.

Nooo!!!

Well, I thought there was hope... I'm not native either, lol, so i can't say much.

And yes, Widdle, attics in the supper get extremly hot in the summer.
ed1371 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote ed1371 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Mar 2008 at 2:16am
To all:

Liquid cooling has been pretty hands off for quite a while now. The majority of folks are still very leary of using it though because, well, hello, its not normal to mix electronics and fluid.

liquid cooling is safe and virtually maintenance free. Every once in a while check your fluid level (and yes, the resovoir is clear so you can see it)

Even if you somehow had a leak, the fluid is non conductive so you wont kill components.

Before getting my DS system I had already built puters with liquid cooling. After getting my rig, I can say they know thier stuff... it was done VERY well and you wont be dissapointed
Silverstone TJ-10
INTEL 4790K
16 gigs ddr3
ssd and such
liquid cooled cpu
2080 RTX Super
Joker3 View Drop Down

Quote Joker3 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 6:38pm
do you have to spend 649$ on liquid cooling to get cooling for your cpu and gpu or can you spend less for the more cheaper liquid cooling set up?
Dashuu View Drop Down

Quote Dashuu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 6:55pm
Just my opinion on the liquid cooling system we use.

The liquid we use for liquid cooling isn't even really conductive. I mean, it is in the sense that all liquid is, but I've seen this stuff drip onto an unprotected motherboard while in operation and cause no damage. The stuff won't fry out a system or anything just by leaking. The stuff we use is an oil that was invented for the purpose of liquid cooling a PC about two years ago, if I recall. (Fluid HP +) It's relatively maintenance free. You only have to add more fluid, provided there isn't a problem. However, liquid cooling does kind of require that you are comfortable using it. As you will have to drain the fluid for troublshooting purposes if there is a problem.

For instance, a person with two or three video cards in SLI. A card goes bad. Now you have to find out which one by running each card in the top slot to see which one fails to POST (or what have you). With triple SLI, you may already have a problem. Maybe your tubes won't reach, so you have to unhook a card. At this point you would have to empty out your liquid cooling, and then re-fill it to test the card. (Or put back on an AIR cooling block). When it comes to replacing or upgrading any hardware, you will obviously have to know how to remove and replace the liquid cooling. Or have us at DS do it for you.

So over all, our liquid cooling is safe, reliable, and maintenance free. But I still recommend it for enthusiasts. Just because you'll have to deal with the liquid cooling when you have to do any other form of in depth troubleshooting or upgrading. Unless of course you have the time to send it to us. We really don't mind doing upgrades or service. I'm just keeping the average customer's time restraints in mind. 
Kain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Kain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 9:04am

To throw a wrench in this... I have my DS machine coming in the mail within the next week or so.  I opted not to get liquid cooling because of recommendations that Stage 3 cooling should do the job just fine... AND more importantly because I want to upgrade the graphics cards down the road and that's really where liquid cooling doesn't pay off as much as air...too hard to do it yourself when you upgrade the graphics cards, etc.???

Tyler Lowe View Drop Down

Quote Tyler Lowe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Apr 2008 at 10:28am
An excerpt from Dave's post above:
Originally posted by Dashuu

However, liquid cooling does kind of require that you are comfortable using it. As you will have to drain the fluid for troubleshooting purposes if there is a problem.

For instance, a person with two or three video cards in SLI. A card goes bad. Now you have to find out which one by running each card in the top slot to see which one fails to POST (or what have you). With triple SLI, you may already have a problem. Maybe your tubes won't reach, so you have to unhook a card. At this point you would have to empty out your liquid cooling, and then re-fill it to test the card. (Or put back on an AIR cooling block). When it comes to replacing or upgrading any hardware, you will obviously have to know how to remove and replace the liquid cooling. Or have us at DS do it for you.

So over all, our liquid cooling is safe, reliable, and maintenance free. But I still recommend it for enthusiasts. Just because you'll have to deal with the liquid cooling when you have to do any other form of in depth troubleshooting or upgrading. Unless of course you have the time to send it to us. We really don't mind doing upgrades or service. I'm just keeping the average customer's time restraints in mind. 

The portions in bold represent the downsides to liquid cooling. These were precisely the reasons behind my suggestion to go with stage 3 air cooling. Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply