FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Long time Lurker/Drooler, now with $2.5k!

Post Date: 2016-09-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sarpedon View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Sarpedon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Long time Lurker/Drooler, now with $2.5k!
    Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 9:05pm
Budget:[$2-$3k]
Expectations:[Desktop, Longevity]
Usage: Games, digital design, remote work]

Team D-S,

Hello from Bali! Long time lurker getting ready to pull the trigger on black friday (been travelling around the world for the last 6 months and make landfall back home in the States for November).

I have about $2-3k to spend, in total on a monitor and new tower. I've built my won PCs before, but with so much going on and starting a new job right away and being a doofus about cable management- seriously have frankenstein type things going on with my homebuilt which is somewhere in storage right now. Would rather get the warranty and support with DS right now.

-I don't plan to ever SLI
-Looking for quiet system (with wife in the house and all)
-Not a big tinkerer, but am handy enough when I need to be.

I was looking at the Apollo and Bolt "Best" builds, but leaning towards Apollo to get similar performance while saving some scratch since space is not a dealbreaker.

BUT- I can't shake how I can go balls to the wall for the Vanquish Ultimate build and put a 1080 in there for under $2k. It's needling my brain. I know I get general upgrades throughout the Apollo and Bolt, but to put a 1080 in either of those "Best" builds means a $1000 dollar difference from the $1890 Vanquish Ultimate. Anything I am missing here?

Would love any advice. I'm a pretty meat-and-potatoes guy when it comes to these builds and longevity, accessibility and versatility are what is important.

DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2016 at 11:28pm
Longivity means picking your own parts like mobo/psu and etc, so vanquish can't be that.

quiet is not really possbile, I can bs you and tell you to get the noise package but really you need to decide if you want quiet or performance, both can't go and to get true quiet we need to go lc and custom fans and etc, which is all out of your budget.

Most of your noise will come from the gpu fan or the cpu cooler when under full load.

It does not matter if I stick 2000 horse power engine in my race car if the max it need/can use is 1000 horse power engine, in other works a 1080 is great but if your monitor is 1080p or 1440p then congrats you have wasted your money.

That brings me to this point, you want your money's worth in performance? Then build your pc around what your monitor needs.

Now you also mentioned something about digital design, what does that mean actually? for certain things more cores is better while in gaming 4 cores is the sweet spot. Also more cores = more $$

For gaming pc once we figured out what your monitor needs then we build a pc that can max that monitor in games, after that we recommend a gpu upgrade every 2 to 3 years to keep the system maxing the games on your monitor, after 6 years or so its time for a new pc.

So first figure out what monitor you want, Go here and look at the specs, look at Resolution, Panel Type, Response Time, Viewing Angles and Refresh Rate, and then look at the rest.

then you should want an ips panel monitor but you have to decide what resolution you want (1080p, 1440p or 4k), if you choose 4k you are choosing sli or titan. then you also need to pic if you want 60hz or 120/144hz monitor, once you have figured those out, then go look at the monitor.

Once we figured out your monitor then we can figure out what you need to run that monitor.

Edited by DST4ME - 30 Sep 2016 at 11:30pm
Sarpedon View Drop Down

Quote Sarpedon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 1:30am
Thanka for belping me think about in the right way. I like the analogy, I was thinking about it backwards- so much for the 1080 I think then. Going with 1440, so I think that clinches it and knocks out all around sacrifice for the sake of the vanquish 1080.

By design, I mean having multiple programs running at the same time- no single huge draw, but needing something from a number of applications when designing marketing materials for my job. Another notch for the processor power in the Apollo. So the ancient question of noise vs wife. We all know how this will turn out... look for me on match.com within the year!

In the meantime I will look at monitors and get back to you...many thanks.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 2:39am
Ok if you know you want 1440p then we can config a pc for that.

Click Image To Go To Configuration Page

Bit of info:

1. Do not install Mcafee , instead get a lighter better anti virus like ESET ( number 3 on the list ) Or any other good light Anti Virus will do.

2. The warranty here is 3 year labor and 1 year parts so if you want higher part warranty be sure to raise the warranty level to the desired level.

Or you can go vanquish, not my cup of tea, I like to know exactly what parts I'm getting and I'm not crazy about the cooler either. Ticket Number: 1497884

Edited by DST4ME - 01 Oct 2016 at 2:39am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 9:21am
Bali .... /sigh/ Yep, still on my bucket list.
Sarpedon View Drop Down

Quote Sarpedon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 3:49pm
Many thanks DST. Appreciate you taking the time to handhold rubes like me.

Snake, it's incredible here. We have been living here for a month in the North. People are warm and friendly, especially when you try to speak their native tongue- Bali has a separate language from Indonesia- and we have a home for about $20 a day. While many gringos come here and spend 20x that, a few beers, good food and accommodations are very budget friendly.
When we want to surf or get radical we just drive a few hours south. Hell of a flight, but very worth it and I hope you are able to swing it sometime.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2016 at 10:05pm
My pleasure You have anymore questions let us know
Sarpedon View Drop Down

Quote Sarpedon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 11:14am
I pulled the trigger yesterday! Went with Slade because I liked the minimalist design. Thanks everyone and happy thanksgiving!
Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING (Intel Z170 Chipset) (Up to 5x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) (Internal)
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (512GB Samsung 850 PRO)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (1TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1070 8GB (ASUS Turbo) (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i - 280mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stage 1: Overclock CPU - Up to 4.4GHz (Depends on Cooling and Motherboard)
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Nov 2016 at 1:02pm
Congratulations, that is a nice system. Awesome
 Post Reply Post Reply