FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking At Options

Post Date: 2020-11-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SparkyR59 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SparkyR59 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking At Options
    Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 8:24am
Hello all,
 Right now I'm currently looking into buying my 4th DS System. I would say my first one was way back about 15 years ago right around when the Dell/Gateway bubble pop.

My next one was the Hailstorm: Black ops Edition back in 2011 with the Intel I7 2700K and twin 960TI. I did do at the time the liquid cooling option and there will be people on here to cringe at this, but I change the coolant on this this once about 7 years ago and I can say that my laziness from this the guys at DS built a top notch machine to handle what I thru at it so far with no overheating issues. The sad part now is that this rig is starting to struggle to keep up with today's games and now showing its age. All that's left now is some more talking to the wife to get a much needed upgrade for me after I bought her a DS laptop 2 years ago for her and I figured its my turn.

so what Im looking at now is, this machine #3551015

Chassis
Chassis Model: Aventum X
Exterior Finish: Black Metallic Matte Finish

Core Components
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X (12-Core) 4.8 GHz Turbo

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 1200W Silverstone / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)

Storage / Connectivity
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)

Storage Set 2: 2x Storage (4TB Western Digital / Seagate - Ultrastar Data Center / IronWolf)

RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance (Requires 2 Identical HDDs)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics / Multimedia
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready)

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Digital Storm Engineering
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)

HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Digital Storm Thermal Management Control Board & Software

Digital Storm TwisterBoost Technology
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Software
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)

My Plain is to be able to do mostly gaming with some light hobby photoshop work and something that will last like the last machine did.

looking for ideas or improvements an anywhere you can see. now i just have to talk to the wife about it lol
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 1:54pm
I'm going to tell you the same thing I said to the fella right below you.

"Since you went AMD, you may want to look hard at the Radeon 6800 XT coming out tomorrow. I'm not selling the card, it's just that the 3080s are quite backed up supply-wise everywhere. The two cards are about neck and neck, just in slightly different ways. When DS gets a batch of those, they may be able to supply you faster. IDK, but they should cost about the same."

One more thing! Since you got the 5000 series CPU, the 6000 series Radeons are specially designed to provide a little extra in synergy with the CPU.

The other thought I had was the Storage 2 RAID array is a little old-school. These days, it seems to me you could get way better performance from a SATA SSD or two and just back it up to an external when you need to. You must need an awful lot of storage. If you want large SSDs, they price out better online.

You been around awhile, but you DO know the Aventum can weigh in the triple digits? Same rig in a Lumos would save you about $700. And then you could get them purty fans.
SparkyR59 View Drop Down

Quote SparkyR59 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Nov 2020 at 6:44pm
how are the Radeons cards? never ran with one I always used NVIDIA.

I'm not to worried about the weight of it but I'm sure that the glass panels add to it and if you ever seen the Hailstorm Full tower that thing is about 65-80 pounds

I have 2TB for storage now and ate about 75% of that now so....

when i do buy tho it would be in the next few weeks
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2020 at 3:31am
"look hard at the Radeon 6800 XT coming out tomorrow"
Find out. You may be surprised.

You can double that weight.

SATA SSDs are up to 10 times faster than mechanical hard drives so... up to you.
 Post Reply Post Reply