FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a Gaming Computer

Post Date: 2020-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
8pointorbetter View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for a Gaming Computer
    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:59am
Hello! I am looking for a gaming computer for my 14 year old son. I am sure it's too late to configure one and get it by Christmas? I am new to the computer gaming world as is he and I would like a set-up that will be good for a couple years and work for what he wants to do. He plays first-person shooter games and some sports games. I was thinking the Lynx Ultimate although we did configure some that I believe would be better, but again, I would like him to have it for Christmas. Also, if I went with the Lynx Ultimate, what type of monitor should I get?
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:06am
Hi - I think I can say confidently your only chance at getting a PC by Christmas would be to go with a pre-build. The backstock on parts is still very limited worldwide - so you'd be looking at a much longer time to ship. I think the Lynx Ultimate would be more than enough for your son to game competently, based on those needs.

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:26am
Do you think I would have to do any upgrades by this time next year? Do you happen to know the lead time on customer build?
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:32am
As long as your son isn't looking for the best possible performance out of the most demanding triple a games, or isn't concerned with 4k video editing or high-productivity tasks you shouldn't need to upgrade for a few years.

Build times vary wildly - but any build including the Nvidia 3000 cards, or Ryzen 5000 series will be heavily delayed - likely a couple of months. Other builds, with less rare parts may be earlier but wouldn't expect anything custom until the new year.

There's also a factor of what resolution monitor he is playing on. If he is on a 1080p the GPU will hold up for quite some time.

I'd recommend waiting for our resident expert Cretae to drop in and share his two cents on this.
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:33am
P.S - sports, and FPS games aren't generally considered triple A

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:51am
He currently doesn't have anything for PC gaming. I am unsure of what type of resolution and fps a monitor should have.
grasoline View Drop Down

Quote grasoline Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 9:53am
1080p, 144hz+ gaming monitors are the standard. Especially for competitive gaming. Anything more in terms of resolution - you're paying for the pretty picture, not necessarily performance. I believe even now around 70% of gamers are gaming on 1080p.

There are many very good affordable monitors fitting this spec.

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:14am
Is there anything else I would need for him to start gaming? I have a keyboard and mouse picked out through DS.
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 2:51pm
Steam gift cards.... lots of Steam gift cards...   
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids

Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by Snaike

Steam gift cards.... lots of Steam gift cards...   

Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 3:49am
I agree down the line with grasoline on this. It is a total crap-shoot with a custom build right now, as to when you might receive it. Parts shortages are rampant, and it could be two months. It would definitely be around 5 weeks.

The Lynx Ultimate is a very capable build for several years of solid gaming without touching a thing. Right now, you can get one before Christmas if you buy 3 day air delivery. It is hands-down the best price/performance you can get here, and makes a great first rig with a very attractive look.

The monitor you want is a 1920x1080, 24 or 27 inches that refreshes at 144MHz or better. Look for "IPS" for best color, and "G-Sync COMPATIBLE" for compatibility with both Nvidia and AMD graphics cards. DO NOT get G-SYNC ONLY! The video system will handle that at high or better settings on every game. there are plenty of those available under $250. It's pretty easy to Google reviews for your selections.

I don't think you will have any regrets. Steam, by the way, is the premier game purchase and download to your computer platform, if you didn't know.

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 4:35am
Thank you all for your responses and help. It is greatly appreciated. I have decided to go with the Lynx Ultimate, will be ordering shortly. Thanks again for all of your help.

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 6:28am
Should I get a curved monitor?

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 6:36am
Would this be good (1)?
LG - UltraGear 27" IPS LED FHD G-Sync Compatible Monitor with HDR (DisplayPort, HDMI) - Black
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 3:17pm
If it's the one that's $103 off at Amazon, I think it's excellent. LG actually manufactures the panels others put their names on. Can't go wrong for that price IMHO.

We are all happy we could help!

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 12:21pm
Not sure if anyone can help but I placed my order on December 16th and upgraded my shipping on the 17th to ensure my kid would get his machine by Christmas, which I was told a few times he would. Spoke to a lady at 9am (PST)this morning and she said it still hasn't shipped for some reason and is going to escalate it up to the managers. I still have not heard anything and I am worried my kid will not get his machine on Christmas day. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Dec 2020 at 12:23pm
And I was on hold for a while at 12pm (PST) and then was told I can't hold anymore due to the volume of calls and was disconnected.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 4:12am
Jeez, doesn't look good does it?

Maybe she's mistaken.

e-mail this guy:

[email protected]

Quote 8pointorbetter Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 1:36pm
No it doesn't.
She was/is correct, it's still supposedly sitting there.
I e-mailed Alex, no reply. I left a message for some guy at extension 237 (don't remember his) name, no reply.
This sucks. I have no idea what to tell my kid tomorrow other than give him the spec sheet and tell him when DS decides to send it, that's when he'll get it.

Thank you for your help!

Happy Holidays!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 3:09am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 12:28pm
Sorry to hear, our team did upgrade your shipping to Overnight for you and emailed the tracking number yesterday, but it looks like it won't be coming today. I just emailed you back as well. Even though it's only another day or so away, I completely understand how it feels if it's not there on XMAS day.
 Post Reply Post Reply