Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CarlAllen View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote CarlAllen Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for a quality PC
    Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:15pm
Beginner Sewing Machine Use: How To Sew With Invisible Thread

If you have been quilting for some time now I bet you have heard some things like this:

Invisible thread damages your machine! It will ruin your projects! Don’t let children come near it! Don’t even waste money on it! Don’t you ever think about it! I have been using invisible thread for quite a while now and so far, nothing bad has happened.

In case you are curious about budget-friendly sewing machines for newbies, see here: Best Inexpensive Sewing Machine For Beginners to choose the best starter sewing machines available on the market.

Maybe some people have experienced these incidents, but it does not happen to everyone using invisible threads. Many quilters I know have been using it for years and produced beautiful projects without a single mishap.

I am sure you, the invisible thread is merely a tool like your sewing machine or your scissors. You use the right techniques and it will enhance your projects.

Here are some tricks and tips on using invisible threads:

Stick To The High-Quality Invisible Thread

You get what you pay for so stay away from the cheap. The thread you want should have a brand name stuck to it. It should be as smooth as your hair. The one I love comes from YLI. Another quilter I know and trust recommends Sew Art.

The YLI thread is nylon and it has been doing its job fine. Some quilters I met online were concerned about the low melting temperature of nylon and decide to use polyester-based thread instead.

I always use low heat so the melting problem never happens to me. If you have the same concern, go ahead and use polyester.

Back in the day, invisible thread tended to turn brown after some time in use. It’s not the case anymore. If you stick to high quality only, it will never change colors.

The invisible thread comes in a number of varieties but the clear colors work on most projects. Smoke color works well on dark fabric but it’s advisable to stock some clear variety.

If you listen to me and use high quality only, even the best inexpensive sewing machine for beginners can handle this delicate thread.

Adjust Your Sewing Machine Tension

When using invisible thread, you want to adjust the upper tension of your machine, especially when you are using a basic sewing machine for beginners, to achieve a better result. Stock pieces of scrap so that you have something to test on. Test until you are happy with what the sewing machine produces.

Switch To a Smaller Needle

Most invisible thread varieties are very thin so you should pair it with a smaller needle. My favorite is a 60/8 but sometimes I prefer a 70/10 for free-motion quilting.

As the eye of the needle is so small, you want to thread the machine by yourself even if your entry level sewing machine has an auto-threading function.

The invisible thread is, well, invisible, so some may have difficulty seeing them. If you have this problem, try coloring the tip of the thread so you know where to lead it to. When you are done threading, you can always cut off the part with color.

If you want to find good basic sewing machines, see here Best Basic Sewing Machine For Beginners.

Don’t Use Invisible Thread For Your Bobbin

You can use invisible thread for your bobbin but it will add extra workload for you. I prefer regular thread in the bobbin and if it shows on the upper side, I will color it to hide it.

Watch Out For The Thread Path

Here is what you should do if the thread gets tangled on the thread path:

If the thread is tangled on the bottom side of your project, it’s probably because your bobbin case has a burr. This tiny piece of metal catches your thread and makes it tangled. If you are using cotton or polyester thread, it’s not a problem as these threads are too big to be stuck there. While with invisible thread, they are too small to escape. You may think of your pantyhose torn up a little bit because of a hangnail.

If it is the bobbin case, you can take it to a mechanic so that he or she can remove the burr for you. A cheaper option is to buy a new bobbin case for this particular job. This is not weird at all. I know many quilters and sewists keep separate bobbin cases for small and fine threads like silk or invisible thread.

In basic models, the thread path is visible so detecting this problem will not be a problem.

Understand when to use invisible sewing thread

When To Use Invisible Thread

Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the ditch is a tricky task to master as you just need to be a little clumsy and you will go off course. If you use a regular thread on the ditch, everyone can see your mistakes. While if you use the invisible thread, no one can notice them unless they look really close.

With this task, I usually use a 60/8 needle because it allows me to go close to the ditch’s edge.

Free Motion Quilting

The invisible thread will come in handy in free-motion quilting, especially the places you don’t want the color of the thread to pop out. It is also useful when your fabric has different colors and patterns and you don’t want the thread to ruin the harmony you have created.

Of course, I don’t say that you should use it for every spot on your project, but it’s great for some special areas. I love to use invisible threads for appliques’ edges as they will emphasize the contrasting colors.

My sewing machine is especially easy when it comes to free-motion quilting. Find the best rated sewing machines for beginners and they will help you sew better and more productive.

Newbies beware

Many quilters will tell you that invisible thread is suitable for beginners as their mistakes will be hidden well.

However, I oppose this opinion. Beginners haven’t had a feeling for stitch length as with the experienced yet so it’s easy to go wrong. Instead of invisible thread, use a light color thread first, and then when you have had the hang of it, switch to the invisible thread. Visit CraftsSelection.com for more beginner sewing machine reviews and sewing guides. Enjoy stitching!

Edited by CarlAllen - 31 Dec 2023 at 5:46pm
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by CarlAllen

I'll be working from home and I'm going to have to really edit videos a lot, so I'll be rendering a lot of production, I'd like to order a new PC set, instead of using my current Macbook. I want to buy a good performance monitor and CPU, quality keyboard and mouse. Please suggest to me where should I order?

Do you know what software you'll be using? That might help us recommend the best hardware.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Sep 2021 at 4:44am
Welcome.

On this Forum, you will only be advised to order from Digital Storm. It's why we're here.

The software you'll use is a big help, but we also need to know your monitor resolution and how much you have to spend. Higher-end video editing will not come cheaply. You will want as many CPU cores as you can afford, a good helping of RAM, and quite likely a very expensive video card. Having said that, with modern computer parts, even a relatively "budget box" can outperform high-end video editing/rendering from just a couple of years ago.
 Post Reply Post Reply