FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for advice on my first DS laptop buy!

Post Date: 2012-07-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
A Modern Myth View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote A Modern Myth Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for advice on my first DS laptop buy!
    Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 12:23am
Hello! I am looking into buying a laptop that I can use to game, make music, and multi-task on for long periods of time. I have chosen the xm15, but am not sure whether to choose LEVEL 1 or LEVEL 2. Here's the main info of my needs, followed by some questions!

Budget:
$900 - $1100 or so (teenagers and their budgets, right?)

Expectations:
Able to play games such as Guild Wars 2 on high settings or Assassin's Creed 3 on medium settings

Record and perform music(have multiple software synthesizers, etc. open simultaneously)

Usage:
Music recording, editing, etc.; Gaming(mostly MMO's); Multi-tasking; Web surfing

Special Needs:
Able to run well for long periods of time
Able to have multiple applications open at once

Question 1: The extra HD space on LEVEL 2 isn't a factor for me, but the processor is. Is the i7 so much better than the i5 that it is worth another $93?

Question 2: Are the thermal module(+$38) and the Wireless Card(+57) worth upgrading, or will the stock ones be OK? If so, which is more important to upgrade between the two?

Question 3: Will upgrading the resolution to 1920 x 1080 (+52) make a noticeable difference in graphics or the performance of the laptop?

I am trying to keep the price on the lower spectrum of my range, so if you don't think an upgrade is worth the cost, I'd appreciate your advice!

Thank you for your help and I hope to join your ranks here at DS very soon!

- Ian
Orange7 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 7:20am
Hey A Modern Myth. Welcome to the forums. As far as your questions go, here are some answers:

1) The i7 has a much larger cache and two extra cores.

2) The thermal paste will depend on your own usage. If you are using it for web browsing or Powerpoints, or MS Word, you can stick with the lower one. If you are programming, plan to have many (20+) windows open at once, are editing video, or are doing any other labor intensive thing, you should probably upgrade the thermal paste. Judging from your needs, I would probably advise the upgrade, although I have never had the opportunity to measure the thermals side by side of two xm15's, one with and one without. If you wanted to save a little cash, a laptop cooling pad would probably be more effective, and it would probably cost about $25 for a decent one.
As far as the Bigfoot card goes, your card will probably never be you bottleneck, so the upgrade doesn't matter much. I really like mine, but looking back, I don't think that it was worth the upgrade cost. I would advise the thermal paste if you were going to choose one, but I don't think that you should expect to see any dramatic improvement from either.

3)The 1920x1080 will make it look much better. Also, as far as graphics performance goes, the 630M will not get you much, no matter what resolution you have, although it will be slower on the 1920x1080 I don't know what the exact statistics for those games are, but I have gotten better performance on some with the integrated graphics, so if you are looking for gaming power, you should be looking at at least an x15 (preferably, if you could swing the money, the level 2).

Edited by Orange7 - 15 Jul 2012 at 7:25am
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
A Modern Myth View Drop Down

Quote A Modern Myth Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:38pm
Thanks Orange7 for the speedy reply! I would step up to the x15, but that's just not worth it for the video card to me... I'd be satisfied with lower settings. Your insight on the thermal module and the and the wireless card will be a big help in saving some money! I think I will just upgrade the thermal module, screen, and hard drive. I will then look into upgrading the video card down the road, if possible... Thanks again!
Orange7 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Orange7 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 4:49pm
You're welcome, and congratulations on the laptop.

Along the lines of the video card upgrade, however, I do not believe that DS can upgrade that card, and its placement is very inconvenient within the chassis.
DS xm15 Stage 4
i7-3820 (2.7GHz/3.7GHz)
16GB 1600MHz DDR3
GT 630, 1GB
240GB Intel 520
 Post Reply Post Reply