Post Date: 2008-02-28

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Taz View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Taz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for Advice
    Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 6:02pm
My old comp finally died and its to old to put anymore money into it.So,after a pile of research im here and need some input in a system.I do some gameing,mainly World of Warcraft and Silent Hunter 3 and maybe Silent Hunter 4.I dont need a huge high end system for what i do i dont believe.Im looking at the Stock AMD Pro  with a couple modifications.

I want to go with the 8600GTS  and gonna drop one cd drive and just keep one with a burner.Only other thing is i wont pick a OS due to i think i can use the one i got and just call MS and transfer it to the new system being the old one will be dissassembled..Only concern i have is the vid card,How is the 8600GTS,will it run moderate games smoothly?

Any input will be appreciated.Not haveing a PC is killing me,lol,and need to get the wheel rolling on a new one,its been a week without one and it has been a very long week.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 6:07pm
You will be better with a HD3850 or HD3870 or 9600GT as they are all the same price but perform better than the 8600GTS.
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Sharariebrum View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Sharariebrum Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 6:49pm
  3870 all the way------
I too would have to say that ATI and NVIDIA both have great cards. I work in a hospital and we use both and the monitors are all the same but when I look at the x-rays and other 3-d mri scans and the like on the computers the picture quality has ALWAYS been better with ATI.  I dont know what it is but ATI has better DEPTH of view.  Its like NVIDIA has always done great with the Imediate draw.  But when you really focus on whats happening farther back in a picture.....Its not good at all.
 Take into acount that I see a weird object in the back on one monitir got to see that area and its nuthing but look at the ATI side the same thing that is now focused on from the background to forground is just as good a draw on the ATI card farther back then the NVIDIA is showing me zoomed into frame.  So I have and will always go to the ATI cardded computers to view my 3-D Scans before I go to Nvidia.  I see the same thing in my games a weird Blurr and artifacting in the backgrounds Espesially 2worlds and elderscrolls4  I play at Native 1400/1050  ASUS LS201 20" Monitor on all my games.  (best non widescreen monitor there is 9H hardness glass and very well made for my kids roughhousing hehe)
If you Fail to Plan....Plan to FAIL!!!
The Past is History, The Future is a Mystery, But Today is a GIFT - That is why we call it the Present
SunfighterLC View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote SunfighterLC Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 6:58pm
Nvidia is known for better FPS graphic cards, ATI for slightly better picture quality. Im guessing most gamers go Nvidia because most graphic intensive games are focused around high speed action, so you need FPS more then picture quality on those.

At least thats my guess. I noticed a drop in picture quality myself when i went from ATI to Nividia with my current computer about 3 years back. Its not anything major, but once youve seen it, you realize its there.

Anyways, as skyr said, youd be better off with either the 3850 or 3870 or even possibely a 9600GT.
Taz View Drop Down

Quote Taz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 7:33pm
Ok,thnx for the replys everyone,ill do some reseach on all 3 and see what i can find.
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 7:38pm
ATI has better image quality.

Nvidia performs better in games because most games are optimized for their cards. You see the "Nvidia, the way it's meant to be played" on a lot of games.. =p
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.
Taz View Drop Down

Quote Taz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Feb 2008 at 8:24pm
Ya ive been a ATI fan for years.Ive been running a 9800 pro for about oh 3 years i guess now and it was a great card,well it still is i guess,it probably the only thing left in my old system that still works.But,i think i might try the 9600 out,dont ask me why cause im not sure,lol.I guess its only money,if i dont like it ill buy another ATI
 Post Reply Post Reply