FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for any advice on current build

Post Date: 2021-03-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
xcman04 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote xcman04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for any advice on current build
    Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 12:23pm
Just looking for any thoughts from way smarter people then me on the build below. Touch choice between the GTX 3070 vs. the 3080 but I feel the 3080 is probably more future proof. The AMD Ryzen 5 5600X has great reviews. Everything else is just about standard.

Any thoughts, suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated - thank you!

Budget:
Around $3k

Expectations:
Would like to be able to play games in 4K reasonably well

Usage:
90% gaming
10% other

Special Needs:
N/A

Saved Ticket #: N/A

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X (6-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo <br><strong></strong>
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P / MSI X570-A Pro (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Digital Storm Performance Series (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (1TB Samsung 860 EVO) <br><strong></strong>
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless PCI-E (Supports 802.11ac) <br><strong></strong>
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3080 10GB (Performance Edition) (VR Ready) <br><strong></strong>
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes) <br><strong></strong>
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 3:42am
Not a bad job. A huge error at Storage set 1. You selected a SATA SSD when the M.2 NVMe 500GB Firecuda is 5-10 times faster operating from the PCIe Generation 4 bus. An absolute must-have game-changing replacement.

For gaming, you will not see any benefit for the extra 16 GB of RAM. You're better off going for the 860 EVO for your games library at Storage Set 2.

If you could manage it, I would suggest you go for the MSI Gaming Pro Carbon motherboard for another $118. The Ryzen 5 5600X is a great choice to keep cost where you want, but the better board will give you a better platform should you want more CPU power in a few years. Just plug in a 5800X. If that's not something you might consider, the standard boards are fine.

The two swap-outs I suggest keep you right at about the same price point.

3806086     ($3075)   "Load Config"   
xcman04 View Drop Down

Quote xcman04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 5:45am
Thank you so much Cretae! That build looks awesome, and I really appreciate your comments/suggestions. I should be able to fit in all of your suggestions into my budget.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 3:05am
My pleasure! Hope it all goes well.
xcman04 View Drop Down

Quote xcman04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Cretae

My pleasure! Hope it all goes well.

Thanks Cretae! Question for you, if you don't mind - if you see this, and if its not too much trouble for you, any chance you could help review an Intel build I just came up with? Not 100% sure on the processor or motherboard, otherwise I'd assume everything else would be the same as what you suggested.

I just read about the issues someone is having with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800X CPU/GTX 3080 combo from DS, and seeing as the build we were looking at above also has an AMD CPU and GTX 3080 (although my CPU and MB are different), it has me thinking about what a similar Intel build (performance wise) would look like.

Config code:      3832989
Price (pre tax/shipping) = $3,341

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 3:50am
That's $266 for nothing. The extra cores don't do a thing for gaming. You even sacrifice the SSD at Storage set 2. The Intel build is based on the obsolete PCIe 3 platform, and I've not been recommending it since the AMD 5000 series became available here last Fall.

You read about issues one person is having with that CPU/GPU combo. What have you heard from the hundreds of buyers with that exact same combo? Either no complaint whatsoever (because there's nothing to complain of), or extremely high praise. That's not the CPU you're ordering, anyway. Your reluctance for AMD is based upon a single glitch among hundreds of shipped builds. Can you Google it and find numerous same reports?

It was going to be the case that the new Intels with PCIe Gen 4 would be available by month-end, but we have heard from another purchaser that he was told by DS Sales the launch is delayed. I haven't confirmed that, but I have no reason to doubt what he said. If you are set on the concept Intel never fails because you know of one case where AMD might have, I suggest you ask about the delay. I am not going to recommend a PCIe Gen 3 build, but don't bother with the 10 cores, they are a waste of money.

xcman04 View Drop Down

Quote xcman04 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 4:23am
Thanks for the input! You're absolutely right, of course - one bad example does not instantly make all AMD/3080 combos unreliable. I woke up this morning and was like, yeah, I didn't really need to post that lol. I did do some Googling and, as you predicted, nothing really came up - a few scattered issues that weren't consistent with each other.

I definitely appreciate the advice - I think the anticipation of having an amazing new computer, coupled with the slight anxiety of spending so much $$$ (though I did actually do a budget, reviewed current finances AND cleared it with the wife before pulling the trigger) sometimes makes it a bit difficult for me not to worry - its a big purchase, and one I absolutely can't wait to get .
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 3:33am
I think we all know by now that electronics can be finicky for lots of reasons, and sometimes no reason at all(?). One of the things that separates DS from the crowd is that they actually do torture-test every build that goes out the door. That is not fool-proof, either, but adds a layer of assurance to the process that has always meant a lot to me. Shipping mishaps that mess with it after it leaves are no more than about 1.5%, so it's ~67 to one you will get a working machine out of the box. I'm 3-for-3.
 Post Reply Post Reply