FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking For Configuration Advice

Post Date: 2018-05-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pjk2018 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote pjk2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking For Configuration Advice
    Posted: 29 May 2018 at 1:42pm

Hello Gentlemen,

New to Forum.

While surfing around, looking for a new PC to purchase, I came across the Digital Storm site and thought this could be a great possibility to get a new custom PC for myself and particularly a gaming PC since I'd like to get into a bit of gaming again. Happily, while navigating the DS site, I stumbled onto the DS Forum. And I am getting a great education reading the many informative posts.

It was inevitable that I would use the Configurator to assemble a made-to-order PC, so please find below my configuration for such a PC. Please note that I have eliminated the items that do not apply to the PC I'd like to have built. Additionally, I have high-lighted in yellow (if it shows up) the particular items that I have questions about. In order to contain initial costs, I have purposely selected the lower level GTX1060 Nvida GPU and 16GB Ram and the Lower end of the New Intel X series CPUs with the idea of being able to upgrade in the future rather easily.

I am not a stranger to personal computers; I started with an AppleII Euro Plus years ago and had various Macs before moving into PCs. However, this gaming thing and the endless array of options has me a bit bewildered, but it is great fun getting “booked up” on it all. Thank goodness for Youtube and forums like this.

So, if you would be so kind as to look at my configuration and make any suggestions you think would help with this endeavor of mine, I would be most grateful.

I hope this post is not too long. Thanks again. Pjk2018 (aka Meatball)

Condensed Configuration:

Configuration Code: 1938800

Total Price with Instant Savings: $2,760.00

Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos

I would like to change case to Cooler Master's H500P MESH or H500M (2018 update) Is this possible. I'll check directly with DS to see if they could order a case for the build or I could purchase the case and send it to them.

Comments?

Processor: Intel Core i7-7820X (8-Core) 3.60GHz

possible future upgrade

Motherboard: MSI X299 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel X299 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)

System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Digital Storm Performance Series

Power Supply: 1000W EVGA GQ good into future or overkill?

Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Samsung 970 EVO) (NVM Express)

Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba)

Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)

Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (VR Ready) later upgrade to new nvida cards

Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio

Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H100i GTX - 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance) Better H110iGT?

Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Blue - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)

Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans Upgrade fans later when I know what I want? (RBG?)

Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)

How does this work with other RGB fans if some are purchased later?

Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking

Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)

Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)

Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Meatball
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:13am
Hi Meatball and welcome to the forums.    

I would change the cpu and associated chipset to the 8700k setup.   It outclasses the 7800x in most areas. 7800x does have quad channel and ram and more pcie lanes for graphics cards but those benefits aren’t useful for most.    Unless you plan on 3+ graphics cards the extra lanes don’t help.     Upgrading the cpu is a dream most will never do. By then all new architecture might be out.   But, up to you., plus I heard rumor the x series might be fazed out.

A 750 watt psu, maybe 850watt is plenty for today’s cards unless you plan on sli.

Either cpu cooler work. I just ordered a rig with H100i so the 240mm rad might fit on the top.   Not sure what DS will do, but we’ll see.

The gtx 1060 is good for 1080p screens. It won’t max everything but still decent.   I also went with the gtx 1080 instead of 1080 ti , with the extra saved for new cards later this year if needed.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:16am
I believe DS will special order the case you want for extra $. If they don't do that anymore, they have always allowed the customer to do it. You have to ask.

bprat22 is on the money. The 750W is plenty. I recommend you stay with MSI for your mobo if you switch to 8700K. Cooler's fine. 16 GB of ram for gaming will be plenty for a looong time!
pjk2018 View Drop Down

Quote pjk2018 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 2:13pm
bprat22 and Cretae,

Thank you very much for your input, it is much appreciated.
I thought a 1000W psu would be overkill, so I'll go 750w or 850w.
I sent a query to the Sales Manager, John Singh, regarding the Cooler Master
500m case or the H500P MESH case. I hope they will consider my request.
You know, before I found Digital Storm, I was considering Alien Aurora or their Area51, both with 8700K CPUs. Also I was looking at HP Omen desktops, both with 8700K CPUs. Then, during research, I learned that Intel released the Xseries chip and so I thought I would get a lower end Xseries CPU and down the road, if necessary, I could easily upgrade the CPU since it is sitting in a x299 mobo with the proper socket and new chipset. I am surprised that a i7-7820x does not outperform an older 8700K and even more surprised that rumor says they may already be on the phase out list. Maybe the 7820x is out performed by the 8700K because 8700K is top-level for the existing i7 family and the 7820x is at the near bottom of the X series range. My plan was to  get the low range X-series and later on go up to an i9 chip..which, in retrospect, is probably overkill for my needs. I'm happy that 16GB is plenty for gaming. My other uses for the PC are fairly light. I will be getting back to trading the stock market so the displaying of lots of live streaming stock graphs notwithstanding, the computer will not be pushed hard at all outside of the gaming realm.
Finally, as you looked at my configuration, is there anything you think I forgot to include that you would suggest adding to the build. I want to do a little RGB stuff but not too crazy!
Anyway, again, thanks a million for your time and expertise. I'm sure I'll be back frequently asking for advice and asking questions. I'm glad the forum is here! Big%20Smile
Best Regards,
   Meatball

Meatball
Tomsal View Drop Down

Quote Tomsal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 3:55pm
I concur with the other guys...750w PSU is plenty, GPU of GTX 1080 (IMO - especially with mining prices) is the best "high end value" GPU option as of right now...6 months from now who knows...but NOW (Late May 2018) yes. Also for CPU i7 8700k is the king (again NOW as of literally MAY 2018) for gaming centric builds. I personally am not sold on the 299 platform in general and flat out I think its kind of silly to invest in for games. That platform is more sensible for data crunchers...photo editing perhaps, intensive data analysis applications, etc.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 May 2018 at 11:33pm
Tomsal states pretty well the consensus opinion here regarding the two Intel platforms.

Gaming calls mostly on the first core and sometimes the second of the CPU. With the 8700k, those "turbo" when called upon to 4.7 and 4.6 GHz respectively. That's very fast, and will never bottleneck you. Almost all the heavy lifting in games is done by the video cards which often come with billions more transistors than the CPU!

Thanks for the kind words, and come back any time. If you're okay with the 8700k switch all else looks good to me.
 Post Reply Post Reply