FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for input on build before ordering!

Post Date: 2023-08-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cardbinder View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cardbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for input on build before ordering!
    Posted: 08 Aug 2023 at 8:15pm
Hey everyone! I've been a DS customer since 2015 with my first build, which has been a wonderful, wonderful machine with only minor issues over the years.

Due to life circumstances, I've decided to give it up to a friend of mine who has no gaming pc and wants one to play older games. I've also been wanting to upgrade to a completely new system that'll hopefully last as long as this one.

I've been out of the loop on PC components for a few years now... and while I feel close with my current config, but i'm not sure if the motherboard and power supply are the right choices. Really looking for advice on the machine overall, though.

Budget:
$3,500 - $4,000

Expectations:
I'd love to have it support either a dual-monitor set-up or even an ultra-wide monitor down the road. I don't want to do 1080p gaming anymore. I'd love to be able to play games on high/max settings with strong FPS depending on the type of game at 1440p or 4k.

Usage:
I would use this primarily for gaming (Starfield and other AAA games), watching videos, surfing the web. I'd like to dabble with video game editors, such as UE5, from time-to-time to mess around but nothing super intensive.

Special Needs:
No real special needs but having it be quiet and handle heat well would be nice. Computer would be near a sliding glass window so airflow would be abundant.

Saved Ticket #:4738140

Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Velox
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-13700KF (5.4 GHz Turbo) (24-Thread) (16-Core) 3.4 GHz (Raptor Lake)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z790-P D5 (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z790 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI) (DDR5)
System Memory: 32GB DDR5 5200MHz Kingston FURY Beast
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Semi-Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 980 PRO) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 4080 16GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black (Extreme Performance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Turbo Boost Technology
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system

Edited by cardbinder - 09 Aug 2023 at 6:37am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 4:18am
13600KF is all you will ever need for processing. I don't think there is a compelling need to overspend on any parts today. Assuming you know the 3090 Ti was the top of the heap just a few months ago:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-4070-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3090-Ti/4146vsm1818101

Over$500 more doesn't seem necessary. So now all you need is an 850W power supply. Get the Corsair.

It's your money, but IMHO you're not getting enough for that nearly $700 dollars extra that you will ever miss.
cardbinder View Drop Down

Quote cardbinder Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Aug 2023 at 7:22am
Thanks Cretae

I didn't know about the 3090 Ti being at the top so recently. For my original PC I ended up buying the 980 TI only months before the 1xxx series was announced so I was trying to avoid being caught out. I remember the performance spike from that generation being massive.

Thank you for recommending the i5-13600KF - it seems like a nicer pairing with the 4080 for solid 1440p. With that said, would that also be enough for solid 4k gaming?

Thank you for the input!!
 Post Reply Post Reply