FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for input on my plans.

Post Date: 2009-10-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bluedog View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bluedog Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for input on my plans.
    Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 1:20pm
Specifications:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm HailStorm
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Interior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: XFX X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1200W Digital Storm Certified (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible) (Silent Edition Highly Recommended)
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (1.5TB Seagate Barracuda (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: !CLEARANCE HOT SELLER: 2x SLI Dual (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 1792MB (Includes PhysX Technology)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Razer Barracuda AC-1 (Recommended)
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: V8 Cooler Master High Performance Cooler (Compatible With ONLY i7 Processors)
Liquid Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a H20: Stage 3 Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Upgrade Chassis With Zalman Performance Fans (Up to 6 Fans)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: LCD Temperature Display & Fan Controller (Requires Chassis Airflow Upgrade)
Chassis Mods: 950Si Case Only: CPU Processor Area: Drill and Mount a Side Window 120mm Fan Blow-Hole
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock the processor between 3.3GHz to 3.9GHz (Requires Air Cooling Upgrade)
Boost Video Card: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-Bit Edition)
===========================================
I plan to use my computer for the next 4 years or so. I'll use the computer for gaming and a little bit of audio design. I'd like to stay in the 4k price range. I'm trying to max out the system's capabilities because I don't intend to upgrade any internals through the computer's life.

I'd appreciate feedback and tips from the forum regulars. DST4ME, what do you think? Thanks in advance for your anonymous beneficience. :D
MyNameisBrian View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MyNameisBrian Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 3:09pm
With air cooling, I would go with the HAF instead of Hailstorm.

Get the 920 as a processor instead of the 950; if you overclock it will be the same thing.

Don't need 12GB of ram, go for 6.

I would drop to the 1000w Corsair PSU.

If you want more longevity for the graphics, I would go with the 5870 instead.

For the CPU cooler go with the Noctua instead of V8.

Don't really need the fan upgrades if going with HAF.

Chassis mod you selected is only for the 950si apparently.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 11:56pm
what resolution will you be gaming at?

its a bad idea to max out now cause things like gpu its much better to get what you need now and then upgrade to the then new cards as they will be more powerfull then the current ones.

also please post your ticket number
venom View Drop Down

Quote venom Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Oct 2009 at 1:11am
Processor: Intel Core i7 920 2.66GHz (Quad Core)
Motherboard: EVGA X58 3X SLI (Intel X58 Chipset) (Supports Triple SLI or CrossFire)
System Memory: 12GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified by mushkin enhanced (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: Corsair 1000W HX1000
Card Reader: Internal Digital Media Card Reader (Black)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 2x (1TB Western Digital Black (7200 RPM) (32MB Cache) (SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Set 1 Raid Options: Configure HDD Set 1 to a Raid 0 Config - Stripe Performance (Requires Two HDDs)
 Post Reply Post Reply