FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for suggestions on this build

Post Date: 2022-09-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
utbigred View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for suggestions on this build
    Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:10pm
I've been pretty active in terms of builds lately due to the upcoming new graphics card of the 4000 series for Nvidia.

My budget is around $3500-$4000 though I'm trying to keep it on the lower end as much as possible. I know I could save a bit on switching graphics cards but I really want this one to last quite a bit. I'm not too familiar with the motherboard so I'm looking for suggestions if I need to change it. Thank you!

txfeinbergs View Drop Down

Quote txfeinbergs Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 6:52pm
Surprised they are allowing orders for the 13th gen Intel processors. You realize you will have to wait until the end of October before they even start building your system right?
MrCheetah View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote MrCheetah Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:32pm
Originally posted by utbigred

I'm not too familiar with the motherboard so I'm looking for suggestions if I need to change it.

Not in my opinion.

As for the remainder... I only have one notation:

While I don't see a problem ordering a new system with Windows 10 (installed), you'll probably want to upgrade to Windows 11 sooner than later.

Performance Hybrid Architecture in 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Platforms Using Windows® 10 | Intel
Originally posted by Intel

Summary
Explains performance hybrid architecture in Windows® 10 and Windows 11* for 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Platforms.

Description
Observing a lower score on 12th Gen Intel® Core™ Platforms with performance hybrid architecture using Windows 10

Resolution
While Windows® 10 performs great with 12th Generation Intel® Core™ Processors with performance hybrid architecture, upgrading to Windows 11* will allow your system to use the full capabilities of Intel® Thread Director to send the right workload to the right core at the right time.

Intel Innovation 2021: Introducing Intel Thread Director | Intel Newsroom (YouTube)

Innovation 2022 Demo: 13th Gen Intel Core Desktop Processors | Intel Newsroom (YouTube)

* I've tried Windows 11 for a short while and will be avoiding it for now. I didn't have any problems, simply not ready to force myself to adjust to the new UX. Fortunately, none of my hardware strongly benefits.

Originally posted by txfeinbergs

Surprised they are allowing orders for the 13th gen Intel processors.

Agreed. DS got on top of that quickly.

You realize you will have to wait until the end of October before they even start building your system right?

I've never been part of a big enough SI to have direct/wholesale connections, but assume DS could receive at least some new hardware batches early (though seemingly can't ship PCs with the new hardware until the official launch date).

Originally posted by Digital Storm

Estimated Ship Date: End of October

Edited by MrCheetah - 29 Sep 2022 at 7:34pm
• Ryzen 5600X, ROG Strix B550-I, RX 6900 XT, 32GB Vengeance, 960GB MP510
• be quiet 500DX, i7 11700K, ROG Strix Z590-E, RTX 4080 ProArt + RTX 4070 Ti ProArt, 64GB HyperX Fury, 2TB SN850
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 1:23pm
Apologies. I'm a little tardy today from battling a hurricane, and my power remains off. I'm trying to reply on my phone, which I've never done before.

Aside from what MrCheetah has had to say, I'm wondering why you are fine with an end of Oct. ship date with the RTX 4080 due in November. If I read you correctly, you are over-reaching a bit for a 3080 Ti instead of waiting a week or three for the 4080. Nvidia declares the 4080 to be 2-4 times faster than that very same 3080 Ti. It's priced at $899. The card you've ordered is coming in around $1500. Now I can't predict what DS will ask for the 4080, but I do know that double the performance plus all the latest tech upgrades in RT and DLSS to name two might just be worth waiting to find out. If you want a card that will "last quite a bit", I'm betting on the 4080. I may well save you some cash in the bargain. Just sayin'.   
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Cretae

Apologies. I'm a little tardy today from battling a hurricane, and my power remains off. I'm trying to reply on my phone, which I've never done before.

Aside from what MrCheetah has had to say, I'm wondering why you are fine with an end of Oct. ship date with the RTX 4080 due in November. If I read you correctly, you are over-reaching a bit for a 3080 Ti instead of waiting a week or three for the 4080. Nvidia declares the 4080 to be 2-4 times faster than that very same 3080 Ti. It's priced at $899. The card you've ordered is coming in around $1500. Now I can't predict what DS will ask for the 4080, but I do know that double the performance plus all the latest tech upgrades in RT and DLSS to name two might just be worth waiting to find out. If you want a card that will "last quite a bit", I'm betting on the 4080. I may well save you some cash in the bargain. Just sayin'.   

That's the weird thing. I've been paying attention to the prices lately and I did notice a drop across the board for 3000 series. Part of me thinks that even with the 4000 series, their pricing wont change and probably charge the 4000 series higher than msrp.

Of course if the prices for 4000 is cheaper or about the same price, then sure I'll make the changes.

As for the13 series. They changed the selection because one of my previously saved build had the i7-12700k and now it's not there anymore :(

Edited by utbigred - 30 Sep 2022 at 3:56pm
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 3:56pm
Here's an example.

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4367031
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 4:00pm

Surprised they are allowing orders for the 13th gen Intel processors. You realize you will have to wait until the end of October before they even start building your system right?

Unfortunately they changed the processor selection because I originally had Intel Core i7-12700K as a selection and now it's not there as an option
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2022 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by tcv21

NVidia RTX 4080 with 12GB starting at $899. 16GB will be $1,199.
RTX 4090  with 24GB starting at $1,599.
Available October 12th

From a thread in the General section. Numerous vids on the new cards. Beware of the 4080 12GB. It's more in line with what a 4070 should be, compared to previous releases of cards.

So you are looking at $1200.oo for the 4080 16GB card. You can use that to compare to what you will pay for any 30 series card, but also compare performance gains with that also.

Best of luck with your configuration. Hoping you get exactly what you need and want, at a price that doesn't make you need a second job!! ;-)

And to Cretae............ man I hope all is well other than power being interrupted. Daughter had a narrow miss in the Tampa Bay area.
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 8:54am

That's the weird thing. I've been paying attention
to the prices lately and I did notice a drop across the board for 3000
series. Part of me thinks that even with the 4000 series, their pricing
wont change and probably charge the 4000 series higher than msrp.
Of course if the prices for 4000 is cheaper or about the same price, then sure I'll make the changes.
As for the13 series. They changed the selection because one of my previously saved build had the i7-12700k and now it's not there anymore :(

Here's another weird thing: DS is offering the 3080 Ti for $1204 above whatever they're selling the 1650 for. I can only speculate why. I figure that total cost to you is around $1500. The 4080 12GB is set at $899 by Nvidia. I can only speculate what DS will charge above that for procurement, expert installation, and rigorous testing, but I'm willing to bet it won't be $600. Even if it were, it would be vastly superior tech and up to 2-4 times as fast per Nvidia. You really want to overpay for the older card, do it.

Since the 4080 12GB won't be out until sometime in Nov., and your rig is set to ship in Oct., you may not have the option to change your order in time. My advice, since you have to wait anyway, is not to order just yet and/or inquire of DS when they expect to offer the 4080. In my experience, they are pretty tight-lipped about such things.

By the way, getting a cutting edge CPU just as it hits the market with much better performance than the one you had your eye on isn't much of a frowny face IMHO.

@fwfdfireman: I can't agree the 4080 12GB is some kind of dog. It's a freaking monster IMHO. I'd prefer to think of the 16GB model as the Ti version.

Thanks for your best wishes. I'm in Tampa Bay as well, on the Gulf side not in a flood zone. We dodged another one that might have been a pretty total wipeout. Power's still out 'til tonight, but it's a cheap price to pay considering what might have been.    

Edited by Cretae - 01 Oct 2022 at 8:56am
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2022 at 12:06pm
Good to hear all is ok, other than power. Daughter is in Spring Hills.

I sure don't mean the 4080 12GB is a "dog". I just mean that based on performance gains vs pricing, it falls in line with what the previous new gen cards offered in the XX70 series lineup. BUT, at XX80 series pricing. Some even wonder if a 4070 will even be released since the 4080 12GB if filling that niche, and if they do, what is going to be and at what price.

You know better than I, I will give you that. Just expressing my thoughts.

Here is an article utbigred discussing with charts, "relative" performance of the 40 series cards over the 3080ti. "Relative Performance" I guess means plug nvidia's numbers in and see what pops up, since NO real testing by 3rd parties has been done yet.

https://fossbytes.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-vs-3080-ti-specs/
Old Gamers Never Die!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:11am
Power's back! The link didn't work so here it is for those who want it:

https://fossbytes.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-vs-3080-ti-specs/https://fossbytes.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-vs-3080-ti-specs/

I actually was looking at this very article yesterday, but I couldn't figure out how to copy and paste the link from a phone. There's some good info here to support my point. I'm going to address the 12GB model as I'm more sure DS will price it lower than what they're currently asking for the 3080 Ti.

Have a look first at the clock speeds. That's only part of the 4080's superiority, but it's a massive 56% base clock over the 3080 Ti. If you find an across-the-board comparison between the cards, you will find sometimes the 4080 has less of one quality or another from the previous gen, but the drop from 8nm fab to 4nm cancels out all those differences and provides enhancement of every measure. Note the 4x performance Nvidia boasts of is in Ray Tracing performance. Also note the card draws significantly less power than either 3080, so fears these newest cards would pull far more power are not confirmed.

Bottom line, the 4080 is worth waiting a couple extra weeks IMHO. If DS treats it like the new Intel CPUs, you may get pricing and order capability by the end of the month in advance of the 4080 release.

If you insist the 3080 Ti is your best option, I wouldn't buy it here. Get your rig with a 1650 and shop the market for the upgrade, then sell the almost new 1650.

Hope it helps.    
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 5:23am
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

I sure don't mean the 4080 12GB is a "dog". I just mean that based on performance gains vs pricing, it falls in line with what the previous new gen cards offered in the XX70 series lineup. BUT, at XX80 series pricing. Some even wonder if a 4070 will even be released since the 4080 12GB if filling that niche, and if they do, what is going to be and at what price.

I'm a bit baffled by the dual branding and the lack of a "Ti" designation. I'm expecting the 4070 to be THE killer card for all gaming 1440p with overhead to handle AAA games well into the future. And at decent price. For 4K, I wonder how one would need much beyond the 4080, but some gotta have the top dog just to be sure they're squeezing every last drop.

I'm pushing 5 years on my current rig, and I'm going to be looking at a step up to 1440p. I'm anticipating if they ever produce a 4060 Ti, it will suit me to a T.   
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 9:04am
It's going to be interesting to see what nVidia does after the 4080s and 4090 release.

IF it were me, I would wait to see what is what after real benchmark testing is done. I sure wouldn't rush out to buy an older gen. card, even if the price dropped. But that's me.

IT's up to utbigred to make the decisions, based off all our back and forth (lol), links and his/her own research to decide what best suits their needs/wants and makes them happy. They happy, I happy.
Old Gamers Never Die!
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by Cretae

That's the weird thing. I've been paying attention
to the prices lately and I did notice a drop across the board for 3000
series. Part of me thinks that even with the 4000 series, their pricing
wont change and probably charge the 4000 series higher than msrp.

Here's another weird thing: DS is offering the 3080 Ti for $1204 above whatever they're selling the 1650 for. I can only speculate why. I figure that total cost to you is around $1500. The 4080 12GB is set at $899 by Nvidia. I can only speculate what DS will charge above that for procurement, expert installation, and rigorous testing, but I'm willing to bet it won't be $600. Even if it were, it would be vastly superior tech and up to 2-4 times as fast per Nvidia. You really want to overpay for the older card, do it.

Since the 4080 12GB won't be out until sometime in Nov., and your rig is set to ship in Oct., you may not have the option to change your order in time. My advice, since you have to wait anyway, is not to order just yet and/or inquire of DS when they expect to offer the 4080. In my experience, they are pretty tight-lipped about such things.

By the way, getting a cutting edge CPU just as it hits the market with much better performance than the one you had your eye on isn't much of a frowny face IMHO.

@fwfdfireman: I can't agree the 4080 12GB is some kind of dog. It's a freaking monster IMHO. I'd prefer to think of the 16GB model as the Ti version.

Thanks for your best wishes. I'm in Tampa Bay as well, on the Gulf side not in a flood zone. We dodged another one that might have been a pretty total wipeout. Power's still out 'til tonight, but it's a cheap price to pay considering what might have been.    

Thank you and everyone else for the replies! I was testing the water for now because I'm not familiar with a lot of the more recent releases. I am going to wait until the 4000 series will release and in hoping DS will drop the prices for the 3000 series.

I just want to see if now would be an optional buy due to how crazy it gets with DS when the holidays come around.
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Oct 2022 at 10:04pm
@fwfdfireman My thinking is that I don't need that powerful of a graphics card especially in the current market of games. However I do want something to last quite a while and can handle games at max settings. For now I will wait and see what DS does.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Oct 2022 at 4:24am
I think that's the right choice. It's our pleasure to help.   
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Oct 2022 at 7:03am
@utbigred : Sound thinking. Like I said, YOU decide what will make you happy and serve your needs. Information is all anyone can provide you to help in your decision making.

Like you said, wait and see what DS does. AND, also wait and see what everyone else does too. With some patience, you can position yourself to have tons of options instead of limited options.
Old Gamers Never Die!
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 8:21am
Quick update but what's the recommended PS if I decide to go with 4090? is 1000W PS good enough?
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 8:28am
New config:

https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=4522530

What do you guys think of the new rig? I want to take advantage of the promo and I know it's going over the $4k but I feel this will set me for like 10 years lol

Edited by utbigred - 20 Oct 2022 at 9:13am
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 10:29am
That looks like a nice machine! Personally, I would upgrade the 2TB storage to a Samsung 980 Pro. That would give you double the performance for $91 more. However, you may not need the extra speed.

You can use this website to predict your power usage:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I ran the numbers for you, and it says you would need 867 watts for your PSU. It sounds like your 1000 watt choice would be good.

I always go overkill on the PSU, but mainly because I'm obsessed with having a quiet machine. The more powerful PSU's tend to have lower fan speeds. However, that's not a priority for most people.

Overall, I think you have a nice build there.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by JamesAstro

That looks like a nice machine! Personally, I would upgrade the 2TB storage to a Samsung 980 Pro. That would give you double the performance for $91 more. However, you may not need the extra speed.

You can use this website to predict your power usage:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

I ran the numbers for you, and it says you would need 867 watts for your PSU. It sounds like your 1000 watt choice would be good.

I always go overkill on the PSU, but mainly because I'm obsessed with having a quiet machine. The more powerful PSU's tend to have lower fan speeds. However, that's not a priority for most people.

Overall, I think you have a nice build there.

Thank you for the suggestion!! I will definitely bookmark that link for the calculator.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 5:14am
I'm not entirely comfortable with your PSU at ~85% utilization. You might want to consider the 1300W PSU for Titanium quality and about 33% overhead. It will run cooler as JamesAstro is saying. The less your PSU is stressed, the longer it should last, and the the other parts as well.

You might get DS to weigh in. I would trust what they tell you. I don't think they will try to upsell you without reason, it's not their style. Just being cautious here.   
Stellar View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Digital Storm Employee

Quote Stellar Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 9:59am
Hi!

Perfectly comfortable using 1000W with the 13900K + 4090.

I believe 1000W is the minimum you're able to select on our configurator when selecting the 4090.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2022 at 1:35pm
Thanks for commenting, Stellar! I will be advised from now on. Very good to know.   
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 1:15am

Cool
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 3:30am
Except for my purchase with DS, I always went overboard on two items due to heat. That would be the MB and the PSU. In those two areas, for me at least, it seems to give me peace of mind. You can get a base model MB but moving up in specs means you get better thermal management at the very least. I always compare what each MB selection offers and select a higher grade MB.

Same with the PSU, better heat management if it is not stressed pushing wattage close to it's peak. I like headroom. I realize it's a ME thing and that's ok.

I tend to steer away from "Minimums". lol
Old Gamers Never Die!
utbigred View Drop Down

Quote utbigred Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 11:01am
I actually thought about pushing it 1300 PSU but I figure if I need it, that can be easily upgradeable. Thanks for the tips guys!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 9:21pm
 Post Reply Post Reply