FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for the 4k 17" Laptop

Post Date: 2019-01-30

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ZadaGrims View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ZadaGrims Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for the 4k 17" Laptop
    Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:44am
Budget:
Below 5k each (qty:6 to 8 )
Would like to get them before spring/summer.

current pc are HP z840
two xeon cpus at 2.8ghz
64 G ram
500G ssd with 1t back up hard drive.
quadro M5000 GPU

Expectations:
Laoptop 17inch 4k

We had gotten one last year to test with and beside a windows update that killed the system for a week. (finding the problem trying to save all work --fix was to scarp all files and bios and reinstall to default. 3 weeks and no problems) tested for 2 months beforehand.

The 17" no longer shows up on the website only a low end 15" and sometime a high end 15".

Usage:
(used for BIM work Large scale projects)

AUTO CAD, RIVET, NAVISWORKS, UNITY, 3d large room scan (over 5 million dots).

Special Needs:
As much power we can get in laptops.
Fast single core speeds.

Specifications:
i9 or i7 with fast single core above 4.5ghz.
rtx 2080 or 2080 ti
64G raM.
500g OR 1T OF M.2 SSD (FASTER THE BETTER.)

Thanks
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:02am
There are no mobile 2080ti as far as I know and only a few even have the 2080 mobile gpu yet. Absolutely none are using non maxq variants. Your best bet is going to be probably the Alienware 51m that is coming out or the Acer Zephyrus (one of the only on market with a 2080 mobile so far) you are going to be getting mobile CPUs too so 4.5ghz on a single core is extremely unlikely or will burn the laptop to death if it can be overclocked at all. Also for storage you want M.2 NVME, caution because there are m.2 SATA. Also as for the 64gb of ram, not many/if any laptops offer 8 slots... You are asking for desktop specs from a laptop and a 5k desktop with no screen at that... Just the RAM (~$700) plus i9 (~$1,000) plus 2080ti (~$1,300) already puts you at about or over $3,000...

Edited by Psyoshi - 30 Jan 2019 at 8:04am
ZadaGrims View Drop Down

Quote ZadaGrims Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:38am
we have already bought a laptop from DS that we like just unable to order more of them.
(DIGITAL STORM HARKER 17) max trubo 5.0ghz

our workflow needs the speed maybe every 10-mins so over heating wont be a problem.

The below is from a company out of Canada. its basically what we wont they dont ship to the US and we buy from US when we can. just want to know when/ if DS may carry them.

Thank you for you input by the way.
some parts maybe off did it quick.
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:43am
Ahh Sager, forgot about them, and sorry if I came off rude at all, weird they won't ship to the US. That is more or less a desktop replacement at that point and seems like it might have a desktop(custom) motherboard. What are the dimensions of that thing? But yeah as for DS IDK why but they are down to one choice right now, was 3 iirc at the beginning of January.

Have you any experience with or read reviews of the 20xx series in laptops though? It's not very pretty currently, lots of issues with heating or bad performance compared to a 10xx series laptop.

The Zephyrus is the best currently available in the US if I'm right and they have some good other options. One actually has a detachable keyboard and is kinda like a super surface. They are kind of the lead builders in mobile right now with very clever heat dissipation techniques.

But the Alienware 51m that is coming out soon is actually an impressive piece of tech. It is full serviceable, customizable and upgradable, without having to send it in for repairs. Has great specs and it is liquid cooled on the CPU and GPU if I'm not mistaken. Plus they miraculously kept it small.

So unfortunately at present DS doesn't have what you need, IDK about if something is planned soon though. Most recent system reveal they did was the Spark which uses the Nvidia mobile gpu, but it is a shoebox desktop.

Edited by Psyoshi - 30 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:52am
I just checked they do ship to US. Just not their special ground options.
ZadaGrims View Drop Down

Quote ZadaGrims Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 5:52pm
a ok I must of missed it on the shipping.

The company I work for likes buying US only and since we already have one of the DS laptops they want to keep the one company for all of the high end Laptops.

Did not know the rtx had problems.

the ones you said are great for normal gaming and light work loads. but with what we do creating large scale building model . etc hospitals, College building, and normal k-12 schools. those would not last long and the ram would be eaten up in know time.

The desktops we have have 64G of RAM and on a daily I can use it all up withe all the models and files open. I could close the models down to free up space but then would have to wait 5min everything to be able to use it.

Well thank for you input. I may pick up the new areo 15x this year. Need that SD slot and none of the other got it haha.

Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 8:56pm
I have a 2 year old ********** laptop and it has NVME slots so it is possible. Best of luck on the hunt, maybe reach out to [email protected] and see if they can customer make something since it is a large order.

... removed competitor's name ...

Edited by Snaike - 06 Feb 2019 at 10:49am
Bootystank911 View Drop Down

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:16am
Bro i just spent 2200 over at *********** for a rtx 2070 laptop. Well worth it, cant wait for DS to get their laptops up and running. My old DS laptop just doesnt cut it anymore for Esport titles and MMORPGs
Tracer 3R Extreme 17 VR800
I7 8750H
Nvidia rtx 2070 desktop gpu
512 970Pro 3500/2400 read/write
240GB Western Digital SSD with Optane 4x
16gb g.skill ripjaw 2666mhz RAM
1080 143 hz screen
Screen calibration

Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by Bootystank911

Bro i just spent 2200 over at *********** for a rtx 2070 laptop. Well worth it, cant wait for DS to get their laptops up and running. My old DS laptop just doesnt cut it anymore for Esport titles and MMORPGs
Tracer 3R Extreme 17 VR800
I7 8750H
Nvidia rtx 2070 desktop gpu
512 970Pro 3500/2400 read/write
240GB Western Digital SSD with Optane 4x
16gb g.skill ripjaw 2666mhz RAM
1080 143 hz screen
Screen calibration

The OP is requesting and needs 4k not 1080p. Running pretty tight on storage there I see though and what on earth do you mean by SSD with Optane 4x lol, picturing running 4 sticks of intel optane lmao. Big issue is optane is worthless on a SSD let alone a nonboot drive.

Bootystank911 View Drop Down

Quote Bootystank911 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 7:21am
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/gaming-laptops/20-series/?ncid=em-ded-rt-73124&deliveryName=DM28404

Go all the way to the bottom and select system builder then you can configure to your hearts desire after selecting a company
BootyStank911
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:25pm
We'll be adding our laptop line back within the next 1-2 weeks with NVIDIA's new graphics cards.
ZadaGrims View Drop Down

Quote ZadaGrims Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by Alex

We'll be adding our laptop line back within the next 1-2 weeks with NVIDIA's new graphics cards.

Thank you for the update Alex.
ZadaGrims View Drop Down

Quote ZadaGrims Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by Alex

Its been almost a month and still no update on them. Would you be able to give an update on when they will be coming out.

Thank you.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Mar 2019 at 6:47pm

Um.....Sager is generally the supplier of DS laptop models....so when the newest DS 17” RTX model laptops finally arrive around the end of March, DS will just add the optional items to finish them.   Patience peeps....lol.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Mar 2019 at 9:56am
Clevo was our actual supplier, other companies like us and the ones mentioned use their chassis as a barebone.

However, we're no longer doing this.

Our team is working with a manufacturer on our own laptop design and it will be epic. The price and performance of the laptop will be a great value. We should have this on our website by end of March or early April the latest.
ZadaGrims View Drop Down

Quote ZadaGrims Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Mar 2019 at 4:40pm
Thank you for the update.
 Post Reply Post Reply