FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for Upgrade Advice!

Post Date: 2015-10-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
STiROCKET06 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote STiROCKET06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking for Upgrade Advice!
    Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 1:43am
Hey everyone, I bought a Digital Storm Vanquish II Lv. 4 close to a year ago now. I'm now looking for advice on what components I should be looking to upgrade first. Whether RAM, CPU, GPU, etc. for a noticeable boost in performance while gaming. This is technically my first powerful gaming PC and I'm nervous about what to do first and soon. Any suggestions? I am also looking for specific parts, not just someone posting, "I think you should upgrade your RAM as soon as possible."

Well thanks in advance, everyone.
Digital Storm Vanquish II Lv.4
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 2:17am
DDR3 2x8GB RAM will double your RAM found here.

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-Desktop-Memory-CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10/dp/B006EWUO22    (Remember you only have 2 DIMM slots to work with.)

MSI gtx970 Gaming 4G GPU found here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127832

These are my two upcoming upgrades that I really, REALLY hope to have installed before the magic happens on 11/10/15.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Oct 2015 at 2:40am
Snaike is right on with upgrading the video card.   Being only a year or two old rig, doubtful you need anything else.

I have the MSI card he linked and it's awesome.   Fans stay off until about 65c and when they turn on I don't even hear them.   I look up under the card on occasion just to see if they're on.

Quote STiROCKET06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 9:33pm
Thanks for the input! My Vanquish II came with the EVGA gtx970 4gb, so it seems like the only thing I should look into for now is upgrading my RAM from 8gb to 16gb. Sound about right? I also can't wait until 11/10. The day can't come quick enough.

Edited by STiROCKET06 - 19 Oct 2015 at 9:34pm
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Oct 2015 at 10:22pm
do you need more than 8GB of system memory?  what are you showing in Task Manager during gaming or work tasks? i never go above 6GB myself.  i have also encountered compatibility/instability problems when adding memory to an existing set.  even though you buy the same kit, they're from different sku/batches.  since then i always just buy complete kits of whatever capacity i think i need. 

also, you can use task manager and a gpu monitoring program to tell if you need to upgrade a cpu or gpu with the games you're playing.  if you see the cpu with 70-100% usage across all cores and the gpu isn't being worked near as hard (i.e. in the 30-40% range), you need a cpu upgrade.  if you see the gpu being worked really hard and you're getting artifacts, low fps, lag, etc. then you need a gpu upgrade.  this is a general guide as there are games (like Shadow of Mordor) that don't task the cpu at all and are considered "gpu bound", and there are games that are more "cpu bound" or cpu intensive (like Far Cry 4). 

if you're fine regardless, then there's no need to upgrade at all.  unless you intend to move up in resolution.   
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 5:03am
The Vanquish 2 level 4 (Ultimate) was sold with the GTX770. (I'm looking at mine.) If there was a time that they sold it with the 970, I was not aware of it.

This is why I mentioned upgrading to the 970.

Quote STiROCKET06 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Oct 2015 at 8:16am
Yea, I got my Lv.4 last November. I'm not sure when they switched from the 770 to 970. I'm assuming around late September, early October 2014.
 Post Reply Post Reply