FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to build...

Post Date: 2019-01-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Smurfgirlz View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Smurfgirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking to build...
    Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:27am
So due to something going weird somewhere in the process, my Adventum's motherboard won't be available until the end of the month. As the arrival of the motherboard will only put me at the tail end of Stage 3, I'm looking for a lower end system that I can use in the time being. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I don't expect to do any of my CAD work on this system, nor video editing. I will only have a single monitor attached (Samsung ultra-wide curved screen, 2k - I have no clue what the model is tbh, it's about 3 years old now though lol). This system will be given to my son to use once my Adventum arrives.

Budget:
Preferably under $3000 but this is flexible.

Expectations:
A rock-solid build that will last for years to come once it's given to my son.

Usage:
Not much, basically just lots of gaming and some video watching.

Special Needs:
An easy, fast build if possible.

Saved Ticket #: I was hoping for some recommendations as every build I make becomes a bit ... excessive lol
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Jan 2019 at 11:49am
This ought to play nice and snappy, look sharp, and the stage 1 over clock is free while you wait on the big Aventum X Smurfgirlz!
Config # 2192478 ($3110)

If you need to trim the price a bit, just drop to the RTX 2070....still a good card!

Edited by HockeyBuck - 05 Jan 2019 at 11:52am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 7:03am
Solid build. I have a couple of observations.

The MSI Gaming Pro Carbon is a better choice for me as it's a great board, and if you ever need customer service, Asus is known for being quite bad at it.

I have been informed the PRO line of Samsung NVMe's is not really intended for general consumer use. I'm recommending the 970 EVO instead because there's such a slight performance difference you'd never notice it, but you get the same top line maker and the same 5 year warranty.

The RTX 2070 is considered to be the right choice for 2K gaming. It will hit the desired settings/framerate sweet spot in 99% of all games, and will be solid well into the future. Some folks like to hedge their bets going forward and get more than needed, but IMO the price/performance spread isn't there. Much better to pocket the difference now and upgrade to the correct choice if/when that becomes necessary. That way, you stay in the sweet spot instead of always paying so much extra for little gain.

You definitely want one of the Corsair AIO coolers for the brand name, and especially for the 5 year warranty. DS branded parts are only warranted for the one year DS coverage.

Hope it helps.
Smurfgirlz View Drop Down

Quote Smurfgirlz Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Jan 2019 at 10:51pm
Thank you for the advice! I will probably be ordering within the next week. Just need my son to start behaving and clean his room before I can hit the buy now button with a completely clear conscious. lol
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Jan 2019 at 12:24am
I'd say the young man is extremely lucky to have such a parent considering a nice quality rig for him, and DS doesn't deserve as forgiving a customer as you are at the moment....ordering another DS rig before they have completed the rather BIG delayed Aventum they still owe you Smurfgirlz. Think you earned the right to leverage your premium level business with DS for all that you deserve from them. Love to hear how this goes....lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply