FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to buy a new gaming rig

Post Date: 2015-08-15

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
HypeFree View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote HypeFree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking to buy a new gaming rig
    Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:12pm
So pretty much what the subject says, I'm looking to buy a new gaming rig. I've switched builders quite a few times in the last mont but I think that DS is the way to go.

My budget is $2200-2750 (however going slightly over isn't a huge deal). I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers already, however I do have a new Keyboard and Mouse I plan on getting after I get my new PC.

I want the build to be able to run modern games High-Max on 1080p at 60+ FPS (BF4, Witcher 3, Modded Skyrim, the new NFS, Mirrors Edge, Battlefront, Assassins Creed etc.) and originally I had set out to build something that as of today would be considered overkill for the current market of games.

I plan on using it primarily for gaming, no real video editing or anything. The only other thing I would be doing is basic computer things such as web browsing, watching movies, listening to music and that sort of stuff.

As for special needs I don't think I have any other than to take into consideration that I have a massive Steam library of games (2.1TB all together) and I have some serious problems with a single 1TB HDD right now (constantly below the 100GB mark so I'm always trying to find something to delete) so 2-4TB is preferred.

My current build that I'm looking at right now is as follows (config code:1262082):

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Corsair Obsidian 550D
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0GHz (Codename Skylake) (Unlocked CPU) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z170XP-SLI (Intel Z170 Chipset)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 2666MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series
Power Supply: 750W EVGA SuperNOVA
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital - Black Edition)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Western Digital/Seagate/Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: RAID 0: Striping: Performance, But No Data Fault Tolerance Protection (Requires 2 HDDs)
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB (Includes PhysX)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex 120mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler (High-Performance Edition)
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Chassis Fans: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: Noise Suppression Package Stage 1 (Optimized Airflow & Fan Speeds Only)
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows CD)
Virus Protection: FREE: McAfee AntiVirus Plus (1 Year Service Activation Card) (Not Pre-installed) ($35 Value)
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Portable Gaming: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Edited by HypeFree - 15 Aug 2015 at 12:53pm
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:52pm
Just a tip although it might be removed by the time you see it, you might want to remove the other competitors names
"Captain Sirius Black"
Storm Trooper
i5 3570k

Ordered: 11-27-12
Stage 1: 11-29-12
Stage 2: 12-2-12
Stage 3: 12-2-12
Stage 4: 12-4-12
Stage 5: 12-4-12
Stage 6: 12-10-12
Stage 7: 12-12-12
HypeFree View Drop Down

Quote HypeFree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 12:53pm
Removed them, didn't realize it would be an issue. Thanks for the heads up.
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 1:14pm
Hi HypeFree,

A good gaming build. Some of my thoughts.

1. If you plan on adding a second 980Ti in the future you may want to consider a 850w PS.

2. I wonder about the RAID "0" setup with two 2Gb drives. With RAID "0" if one HDD fails you lose the data on both drives. You will need a good back up system to protect the HDD data. If it was me, I would add a 256Gb 850 Pro SSD and go with a single 2Gb HDD. With the SSD you can move currant games in/out of the HDD.

3. I see you selected one WD Black edition HDD and one that could be anything. If you meant to get two WD Black edition HDDs then you need to change the option for HDD two. This assumes you are sticking with the RAID "0" setup.

Good luck with your build. You made a good choice with Digital Storm.

Frank
HypeFree View Drop Down

Quote HypeFree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 1:20pm
Thanks for the ideas, I assumed that with the two drives if one failed you only lost the data on the one that failed. So I should probably do Raid 1 then?

Also I was avoiding SSDs due to the fact that there are some games on Steam (Saints Row IV for example) that don't actually run properly unless Steam and the game are on the same drive as the OS so it kind of scared me away from SSDs but I will definitely take it into consideration and read into it more for both pros and cons. As for the PSU I didn't even really connect the fact that I would need a better PSU in the future if I wanted to SLI 980Tis so I'm glad that you pointed that out. Thanks for the response!

Edited by HypeFree - 15 Aug 2015 at 1:21pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:18pm
I would drop the RAID and get a big SSD (250GB+ or even 500GB) and go with a dedicated hard drive. All games should work fine this way, perhaps there were bugs early on with a particular game... but I'm sure they were resolved by now.
HypeFree View Drop Down

Quote HypeFree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 4:53pm
So if I grabbed the 500GB SSD what exactly would I be putting on it other than the OS? Would you recommend games from Origin/Steam? And also would the SSD actually help with loading times on games? It does cut the cost down a little bit which is nice but I also lose 1.5TB of space and I don't know all that much about SSDs other than they're helpful for boot times (although with Windows 10 boot times are super short already).
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:37pm
Hi HypeFree,

If you go RAID 1 you will only have 2Tb of data with two, 2Tb HHDs. If you drop one of your 2Tb drives and add one SSD your will still have 2Tb plus the SSD.

Frank
HypeFree View Drop Down

Quote HypeFree Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 5:49pm
Oh so by mirror it means literally mirror data. I assumed it had something to do with saving data to the other drive in the wake of a failure or something. So then if I went with the 2x2TB then no raid would be the best overall.

So then the question of what exactly the benefits in this build would be from having the SSD over the other 2TB HDD still stands? In your guys opinion is it worth giving up that much space for a $40 difference and a slightly increased speed boost to certain games/programs and launch? Or are there other pros to having the SSD that I'm missing?
 Post Reply Post Reply