FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Looking to upgrade old DS system

Post Date: 2023-05-20

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Baby_Bobo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Baby_Bobo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Looking to upgrade old DS system
    Posted: 20 May 2023 at 1:51pm
Budget:
~ $500-700

Current Spec
Case: Cooler Master HAF 932
CPU: i7 950
CPU Cooling: Noctua Dual 120mm Fans (I think NH-U12P)
Motherboard: EVGA x58 SLI
PSU: TX850M Corsair
GPU: GeForce RTX 2070

Computer Usage
Mostly gaming MMO's, 4x strategy games, etc and of course generic use such as web-browsing MS office usage etc.

Expectations
Hi, built a DS machine awhile back now and have made a few upgrades throughout the years (GPU/more RAM/PSU). Currently, I am looking to upgrade my CPU since it is quite old and my MB seems like it will need to be replaced to handle new CPU sockets. I was looking at the i5-13400F as a very solid upgrade for a modest price but am open to other suggestions ofc.

I am quite lost on selecting a motherboard (the price of them seems to have gone up significantly) and there are so many variations it is quite confusing.

Also, I am unsure if my PSU needs to be upgraded as well or if it can handle a new CPU. The CPU cooling noctua that I have also from my research doesn't seem to be compatible with newer CPUs sockets so I assume that will need to be replaced as well to keep a new CPU at lower temps.

Any advice or help would be appreciated. If you need any other info let me know.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 May 2023 at 6:40pm
Good solid proc. I would stick to the tried and true DS parts wherever possible. The ASUS Prime B760M-A AX D5 is good enough for them, should be good enough for you, and take the guesswork out. Shop around, they go for around $160. That's a DDR5 RAM board so you need DDR5 RAM 16 GB is fine. Shop that. RAM is a commodity, doesn't have to be a top brand name to be good. Getting a DDR4 version of that board wouldn't save enough to bother with.

If the power supply isn't ancient, it's more than enough for your needs. I honestly don't know about old air coolers fitting new mobo/cpu configs, but it seems reasonable that an old one would NOT do. I'd get another Noctua, and the dual 120's is plenty for that proc.

Your new board will have two M.2 slots for super-fast NVM Express storage. I like a 500Gb Samsung 980 PRO for your boot drive. Spaceous enough for the OS, all your apps, maintenance software, browser, etc and several games. If you want to, get a one or two TB for the other slot to be your new games library. It doesn't have to be as fast as your boot drive, so you won't have to spend a ton on that.

A reminder, if you want to go this route, DS provides lifetime labor-free upgrades. You will pay what they charge, and you'll have to ship your chassis to them, but the re-build will be expert, and tested like a new one.

Hope it helps.   
 Post Reply Post Reply