FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loud Lynx

Post Date: 2022-03-02

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
the_bronze View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote the_bronze Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Loud Lynx
    Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 12:01pm
Hello,

I've not even had my Lynx for a full 2 weeks, but I have had an extremely frustrating buzzing/vibrating/humming noise coming from it. I spent about an hour on the phone with tech support, and while the guy was great, we were unable to solve the issue. He said he would speak to his colleagues to see if they have any ideas, but I am frustrated enough to make this post as it is hard to enjoy my PC while it's making irritating noises constantly.

I was so positive when I opened the ticket that it was one of the front 3 fans, as that's where the noise is heard the loudest. When I use the Digital Storm remote to turn the fan speed up and down, the noise varies in annoyance level and the sound. Sometimes it's a buzz, and other times it sounds like a fan hitting something. HOWEVER, even after stopping all the fans in the system (aside from the PSU fan), the buzzing noise remains.

Here's what we tried:
-Turning off all the fans individually (aside from PSU)
-Turning off the exhaust fan and the 3 front fans together
-Cutting a loose zip tie near the fans
-Ensuring that all other wires are away from fans

None of this altered the noise coming from the PC.

The annoying noise is only gone if I have the fan speeds at the highest setting regardless of whether or not the fans are spinning, but of course that creates a different noise issue since the fans are on full blast.

My wife got almost the exact same build delivered a couple of weeks prior (with the only difference being the GPU), and hers is ultra-quiet. When I first turned on my PC I immediately noticed the noise, in stark contrast to when we first turned hers on and heard nothing.

Please shoot any ideas my way!

Here is my build:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx - Level 4 (MPN-LV4-10700F-B560-3070-V4)
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7-10700F (4.8 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 2.9 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS / MSI / ASRock (Intel Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 700W Digital Storm Performance Series
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Digital Storm M.2 Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: Wireless Connectivity (Supports 802.11ac) (Integrated Motherboard Wi-Fi)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 3070 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 1: High-Performance Copper Heat Pipe Cooler
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Software Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home (64-Bit)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-10 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Quote the_bronze Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 12:19pm
Just after posting this, I went back through and tested each of the fans again. When I unplugged the 3 front fans and the back exhaust fan, the noise goes away. If I plug in any of the individual fans by itself, the buzzing noise comes back.

Is it possible that all 4 fans are faulty? Or is this a separate issue altogether?
JamesAstro View Drop Down

Quote JamesAstro Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 3:47pm
One more fan to consider is the fan inside the power supply, and also the fan on the video card. I'm not sure how you could test those fans though. Maybe you could watch them using a bright flashlight, and see if you can detect any change in those fan speeds when your are doing your sound tests.
Velox, Intel Core i9 11900K, ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Hero
32GB RAM, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVME
RTX 4090, 38" Ultrawide LG-38GL950G
Noctua NH-D15S cooler and NF-A14 fans, Corsair AX1600i PSU
Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:25pm
Following out of curiosity hoping a Forum member has the answer. I had a quiet new system then after a month I had a weird noise coming from by AIO pump. The Forum members suggested setting it to 80% and the noise went away. The fans on the radiator compensated for the lower pump speed. Temperatures were steady. :-)

I don't think my issue is anything like what you are facing but just letting you know between the Forum members and Digital Storm they should get your issue figured out quick.
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/

Quote the_bronze Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by JamesAstro

One more fan to consider is the fan inside the power supply, and also the fan on the video card. I'm not sure how you could test those fans though. Maybe you could watch them using a bright flashlight, and see if you can detect any change in those fan speeds when your are doing your sound tests.

I appreciate your input. I turned the PC on its side and listened closely to the PSU fan to see if that was the culprit and I didn't hear anything. The only time it is not buzzing is when the 3 front chassis fans and the exhaust fan are all turned off.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 5:21pm
That is a strange problem.    Electronically it makes no sense.   The only thought I have is to make sure the covers, especially the front is hooked, mounted correctly and not vibrating when the fans are on.   Hold the covers in to see if the noise changes.   My old 2013 DS system had a weird noise, a buzzing sound, that turned out to be one of the covers vibrating.

Good luck.    

Edited by bprat22 - 02 Mar 2022 at 5:46pm
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 10:18am
This is a strange problem... I had a similar problem as what bprat22 described in my previous DS system. After many years of quiet use, my system developed a noisy buzzing rattling problem...would start right after start up and sometime go away. I localized it down to the top fan...but the fan was quiet if I pulled it out and ran it outside of the case. I found one of the screws / offsets failed and it would not let the fan sit tightly in the case...if the RPMs hit a certain amount then the buzzing / rattling noise would happen.

I think you may have something loose in the case that is keying off the vibration of fans connected to the case / chassis in some way. Try removing the fans one by one and see if you can localize the issue.

Good luck!

KK

Quote the_bronze Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by KKrusher

This is a strange problem... I had a similar problem as what bprat22 described in my previous DS system. After many years of quiet use, my system developed a noisy buzzing rattling problem...would start right after start up and sometime go away. I localized it down to the top fan...but the fan was quiet if I pulled it out and ran it outside of the case. I found one of the screws / offsets failed and it would not let the fan sit tightly in the case...if the RPMs hit a certain amount then the buzzing / rattling noise would happen.

I think you may have something loose in the case that is keying off the vibration of fans connected to the case / chassis in some way. Try removing the fans one by one and see if you can localize the issue.

Good luck!

KK

I think you and bprat22 have the right of it. It's likely something else in the case that's buzzing due to the fans running. I will try to isolate what it is.

Digital Storm has already agreed to ship me 4 brand new fans as well, so I will also do what you've said and take each of them out individually and check all other possible loose parts to see what the issue is when I have an opportunity.

I'll report back when I have some news!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:21pm
Good luck.   

Onkel_Ken View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Onkel_Ken Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 2:45pm
Velox X/AMD 5900X/MSI X570 Pro Carbon MB/32GB DDDR 3600 DSPS/850W PS/500GB Samsung 980 Pro/1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus/500 GB HDD/Sound Blaster AE-7/EVGA FTW3 Ultra RTX 3080 10GB/Liquid CPU cooler AIO/
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 03 Mar 2022 at 4:18pm
This is a trick I recently used to track down an intermittent clicking sound. Use a long stem screwdriver and while holding the hand part on your ear touch the tip to different parts/fans of the pc . You'll hear the sound real loud when you find what causes it. If you concentrate you can sort of track it down. Two people are better since your head has to be sideways. (Better yet is a stethoscope with a long tip.)

BTW I did find what was causing the clicking sound. It came from inside the gpu so...
KKrusher View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote KKrusher Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 10:13am
Good luck!

Sincerely,

KK
 Post Reply Post Reply