FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

<2200$ Build Advice

Post Date: 2015-08-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OoTrillionoO View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote OoTrillionoO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: <2200$ Build Advice
    Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 1:19am
Budget:
2'271 U.S. excluding additional accessories. (My budget is 3000 Canadian dollars, but the Canadian dollar recently tanked.)

Expectations:
I expect the computer to run at 50+ fps on higher graphics settings.

Usage:
Mainly gaming, alongside light 3D-modeling and rendering.

Special Needs:
I do not care about the sound of the computer, I live in an area that remains generally cool, and there doesn't tend to be a lot of dust.

Saved Ticket #:
I was thinking of something like the Apollo L2:1265528
Or Perhaps the Vanquish 3 L4 with an additional screen: 1272043

The difference in cost between these in canadian dollars is about 500$, but if that were an issue would it be better to go with the Apollo L1?(1272045)

I have no experience with PC building, I've been gaming on a laptop and console for years. I got into 3D graphics, but as it turns out my laptop is far too weak to handle it so I thought I'd upgrade. Any advice is hugely appreciated.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 11:45am
Hi OoTrillionoO........Your monitors resolution will make a big difference in the graphics card you need.  If it's a 1080p, then a gtx 980 will play great and you wouldn't need the Titan.  

The Vanquish level 4 is the best bang for your buck and will have about the same performance as the Apollo lvl 1 as-is for a lot less money.  Actually a little better by 15% or so in games with the gtx 980 over the 970.  Skylake does add a little performance over Haswell 4590k  but I'm not sure how much in games.  Some say up to 10%.    Your 3D modeling would like it. 

But, the Apollo lvl 1 does have the recently released Skyklake build, the i7-6700k and its Z170 motherboard.  It does have features over the Vanquish cpu/mobo but not so much for gaming.  Storage, USB, etc.   If you wait a few weeks I'm sure DS will be upgrading the Vanquish with the newer chips/mobo as their supply of the old whittles down.   The Apollo also has a better power supply.

The custom config you put together has Skylake, more ram, a better mobo and psu, etc.   

It really depends what you want and for how much.  For gaming straight up, the Vanquish lvl 4 is tough to beat.  The other builds do give you more options in psu, mobo, added ram, etc.  Vanquish is pre built and as-is, and the Apollo allows a ton of options.

Hope this helps.  Big%20Smile

Edited by bprat22 - 29 Aug 2015 at 11:45am
OoTrillionoO View Drop Down

Quote OoTrillionoO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 12:26pm
Ok, thanks for the advice. I think I'll be going with the Vanquish Level 4. I don't see myself needing more ram, better psu, or anything better than what the Vanquish currently offers. If there's a time in the future where I do need such things, I could always purchase the parts.

Once again, thank you for the help. It's very much appreciated!

(Btw, your post count is perfect)

Edited by OoTrillionoO - 29 Aug 2015 at 12:27pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2015 at 12:43pm
Didn't notice the post count. 12345 for anyone that follows since this post will mess it up.

Yeah, the Vanquish 3 or 4 is the best deal around. DS is giving customers a dynamite build for the money. Adding, upgrading would be very doable.

Good luck and stay in touch with the progress when you order.
 Post Reply Post Reply