FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

<$600 Gaming PC What do I look for?

Post Date: 2018-06-19

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Free View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: <$600 Gaming PC What do I look for?
    Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 1:58pm
I am trying to buy a new pc with a budget of $600 dollars. I don't know what to look for or what all the parts exactly mean. I don't know if I will be ripped off buying a computer because I can't compare or contrast it to anything due to my lack of knowledge on the topic. I am an avid gamer looking to get a pc that can run decent graphics and a good enough processor to keep up with it to minimize lag.
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 3:55pm
If you know a nice $600 budget pc please let me know all about it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:18pm
For your budget, the only pc here that fits is the Vanquish level 1 for $699.   It’s an entry level pc that games well depending on your monitor resolution and the games you play.

It does allow for upgrading later if needed.

Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:21pm
so if I were to get that pc and I do not have the best monitor i should probably invest in one?
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:23pm
Do you know if that PC's processor can keep up with the graphics it is putting out because that was a problem with a lot of PC's I have come across
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:40pm
It all depends on the monitors resolution and what games you play.   

When buying a gaming pc you need to decide what monitor will make you happy, like a 1920x1080 resolution as an example, and match the pc to it.     

The cpu in the level 1 is matched to its integrated graphics , both being on the same chip.    The level 1 doesn’t have a separate graphics card.   For that you’d need to move up to the level 2 which is a huge bump in performance. But, your budget, and I do understand a tight budget, restricts you to the level 1.

Edited by bprat22 - 19 Jun 2018 at 4:41pm
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 4:45pm
Originally posted by bprat22

It all depends on the monitors resolution and what games you play.   

When buying a gaming pc you need to decide what monitor will make you happy, like a 1920x1080 resolution as an example, and match the pc to it.     

The cpu in the level 1 is matched to its integrated graphics , both being on the same chip.    The level 1 doesn’t have a separate graphics card.   For that you’d need to move up to the level 2 which is a huge bump in performance. But, your budget, and I do understand a tight budget, restricts you to the level 1.

So I have read and watched some reviews on that PC before and it says it can run most games on medium to high resolution with decent frame rates but then I see doubts by other reviews disagreeing and with a tight budget i understand it might be an issue but I don't know who is telling the "truth" and dont want to waste my money.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:00pm
They both could be telling the truth, the first gamer running a 720p monitor and playing less demanding games.   The second one, not so happy, might be trying to run The Witcher on a 1080p monitor and has stuttering all over the place.

We really can’t answer your needs without knowing what you want to play and at what resolution.     The information is way too general.   

Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by bprat22

They both could be telling the truth, the first gamer running a 720p monitor and playing less demanding games.   The second one, not so happy, might be trying to run The Witcher on a 1080p monitor and has stuttering all over the place.

We really can’t answer your needs without knowing what you want to play and at what resolution.     The information is way too general.   

the main game I am playing right now is Ark Survival Evolved and the games I play are not very demanding. My monitor - https://www.amazon.com/Acer-S220HQL-Abd-21-5-Inch-Widescreen/dp/B005LJWJSG/ref=sr_1_14?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1529453053&sr=1-14&keywords=Acer%2Bmonitor&th=1
Tomsal View Drop Down

Quote Tomsal Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:27pm
I've never been one to be shy about blunt honest opinion on behalf of someone not wasting money or effort (its part of what I do all the time at work) - if you are only able to lock in to a $600 budget (and there's nothing wrong with that - we each have our own income levels, debts, expenses, etc.) I don't think you'd be served well from a high end Gaming PC builder.

I've read your posts above I personally , in your situation, would not buy the Level 1 Vanquish @ $699. why? Well first if you are hard locked at $600 you are instantly $99 over budget plus any taxes where applicable.

Its also probably not going make you happy 100% based on what you are telling me as being up in the air worried about which reviewer is right or not. Don't put yourself through the stress when spending money.

My real advice would be try and save up until you can get the Vanquish Level 2.....OR if you can't wait and want/need a pc NOW.... you'd probably save a bit at your budget level building a PC yourself. There's parts websites that help you select components and they'll even show you prices and when all parts are picked even estimate taxes and shipping costs.

You can get such help from more generic sites (so no one gets mad talking about non DS purchased parts)...I don't want to name them but search out PC hardware review sites and use their forums.

(You definitely can build a pc to play games...though not at ultra settings and some games not at high settings....for under $600...I'd link you some selections if I knew was ok to do so)
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Tomsal

I've never been one to be shy about blunt honest opinion on behalf of someone not wasting money or effort (its part of what I do all the time at work) - if you are only able to lock in to a $600 budget (and there's nothing wrong with that - we each have our own income levels, debts, expenses, etc.) I don't think you'd be served well from a high end Gaming PC builder.

I've read your posts above I personally , in your situation, would not buy the Level 1 Vanquish @ $699. why? Well first if you are hard locked at $600 you are instantly $99 over budget plus any taxes where applicable.

Its also probably not going make you happy 100% based on what you are telling me as being up in the air worried about which reviewer is right or not. Don't put yourself through the stress when spending money.

My real advice would be try and save up until you can get the Vanquish Level 2.....OR if you can't wait and want/need a pc NOW.... you'd probably save a bit at your budget level building a PC yourself. There's parts websites that help you select components and they'll even show you prices and when all parts are picked even estimate taxes and shipping costs.

You can get such help from more generic sites (so no one gets mad talking about non DS purchased parts)...I don't want to name them but search out PC hardware review sites and use their forums.

(You definitely can build a pc to play games...though not at ultra settings and some games not at high settings....for under $600...I'd link you some selections if I knew was ok to do so)

I really do appreciate you giving me advice and I am not constricted to exactly 600 but that is mainly where I am focusing I can afford the pc but just very nervous about purchasing it because it would be my first "higher end" PC. My current PC is $200 so really any difference would be the best. I might just be overthinking it or something but I never have this type of opportunity. I am only 15 so getting more money is not really possible atm. But I am willing to either purchase or not purchase on what people tell me. It would be much help if you could further help me.
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Free

Originally posted by Tomsal

I really do appreciate you giving me advice and I am not constricted to exactly 600 but that is mainly where I am focusing I can afford the pc but just very nervous about purchasing it because it would be my first "higher end" PC. My current PC is $200 so really any difference would be the best. I might just be overthinking it or something but I never have this type of opportunity. I am only 15 so getting more money is not really possible atm. But I am willing to either purchase or not purchase on what people tell me. It would be much help if you could further help me.

could you give me anything else to go off of?
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:42pm

Do you know if that PC's processor can keep up with the graphics it is putting out because that was a problem with a lot of PC's I have come across
the integrated gpu on that processor is about equal to a GT 1030 dedicated graphics card.  you won't enjoy gaming on that at FHD (1080p) gaming for any kind of graphically intense game.  the GTX 1060 or comparable AMD card is the lowest i'd recommend for high settings FHD gaming. 
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
db188 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote db188 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 11:48pm
CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 1200 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial - 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($87.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($49.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.68 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($289.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - TXM Gold 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($52.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $729.39

edit: remove ssd to save some money and keep the hard drive for storage.  can back up to the cloud or buy some cheap external storage later if needed. 

edit #2: best monitor at this price point https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VS228H-P-1920x1080-Back-lit-Monitor/dp/B005BZNDOO?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJB3PKOUXZY2U5MTQ&tag=pcgamingbui02-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B005BZNDOO

Edited by db188 - 20 Jun 2018 at 12:02am
Aventum 3
I7-6700K
Gigabyte G1 Z170X Gaming GT
16GB Corsair Dominator 3000MHz
Corsair Hx1000i 1000W
Samsung M.2 980 Pro 2TB;Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
MSI RTX 3080 Ventus OC 10G LHR
Gigabyte M28U 4K
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 3:16am
It's great of db188 to look up all those parts for you, and he's done a great job! But I'm pretty sure you're not looking to build your own PC at your level. IMO, if you get the Vanquish lvl 1 from DS, you have a solid platform, built by experts, fully tested, and under warranty. It happens to be a pretty capable system out of the box, and is ideal for easy upgrades as money becomes available to you later. With a 1080p monitor, you are going to have to lower the visuals on a handful of games in the beginning. Some games will play just fine at medium to high. It's an actual fact that 40 frames per second at medium settings is perfectly playable, and this system could do that on hundreds of games.

The best part is, It's a darned good processor, case, power supply and cooler to upgrade a system around. I agree with db188 that you'll want to step up to a GTX 1060 to maximize your enjoyment at 1080p as your interest in gaming grows. It's the easiest upgrade you can do yourself, and all you need is the bucks to buy one when you get around to it. At that point you'll have a stronger PC than a lot of us veteran gamers had just a few years ago.

One more thing to keep in mind. db's rig above doesn't have an operating system. Vanquish comes with Windows 10 installed.

We think Digital Storm is a great place to start a love affair with gaming, and we'd like to welcome you to the family.
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:29am
Wow, the feedback I have received is amazing. I really do appreciate any effort any of you gave to help to purchase my first "high end" computer. With the feedback I have convinced myself to purchase the Vanquish level 1 with confidence and will look into upgrading parts in the future. Ya'll have given me lots of information on what the heck this stuff even means and I think I have obtained a lot of knowledge from my experience. I am not trying to shun any of you guy's opinion and suggestions. Took everything in and tried to come out with the best resolution. Hopefully if I still have questions I can return to get more answers. But leading up to my purchase I will accept any feedback with an open mind but im sticking with it until then.
Free View Drop Down

Quote Free Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 5:32am
Also don't get me wrong building a PC is a DREAM of mind, but I think that will be further down my gaming path if it continues.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 9:33am
We want you to know you are always welcome here to ask anything on your mind about computers. If you receive a Vanquish level one and it's not what was represented here in your eyes, please come back and tell us. I'm confident it will delight you in the beginning and it will take you awhile to see and understand its limitations. At that point we hope you can get that kick-a** card and just slot it in and be amazed.

Mucking about inside your own PC will undoubtedly give you confidence to perhaps build your own one day. A DS build will show you a template of what that should be and look like. Come back here for anything you need. All our best wishes.
Acetylide View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Acetylide Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Jun 2018 at 2:12pm

I am trying to buy a new pc with a budget of $600 dollars. I don't know what to look for or what all the parts exactly mean. I don't know if I will be ripped off buying a computer because I can't compare or contrast it to anything due to my lack of knowledge on the topic. I am an avid gamer looking to get a pc that can run decent graphics and a good enough processor to keep up with it to minimize lag.

There's not a whole lot you can do for $600 except maybe buy a decent computer for office work and very basic/mundane gaming. I can almost guarantee you that a system at that price will have limited upgradeability options.

I have a tight budget myself. What I do is try to buy a new $2500-$3500 system every 7 years or so. My last system was a higher end gaming laptop that replaced an aging desktop back in 2013, so I'll probably be replacing it much sooner with a DS desktop.

The three main things you should consider for your needs in a gaming system is the CPU, Graphics card, and OS drive, which are dependent on the games you intend to play and at what resolution.
An i5 CPU may be enough, but it doesn't have hyper-threading like the i7, which could be a bottleneck for more CPU demanding games. A GTX-1060 is enough for gaming at 1920x1080 resolution. Depending on how many games you actively play, a 500Gb SSD should be enough, and it doesn't have to be one of those M.2 drives that have 1-2Gb+ read/write speeds.
Anything above 16 Gb RAM is overkill. 8Gb is still the standard nowadays for most games.

Save your money and get a system you'll be happy with that won't need to be replaced in 2-3 years due to hardware limitations. The more frequently you have to replace an outdated desktop, the more money you'll end up spending in the long run.
 Post Reply Post Reply