FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lumos 13900ks and 4090 with full loop hydrolux

Post Date: 2024-03-13

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ragingfetus View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ragingfetus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos 13900ks and 4090 with full loop hydrolux
    Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 7:46am
If you have the subject machine what are your temperatures when gaming? I ask because i have already had a failure in the liquid cooling loop where it got so hot one of the tubes broke free and the liquid was boiling inside the tubes. The water also went from clear to an opaque rust color within seconds. I got the machine back and with just a little bit of gaming the machine is overheating again with proof (have a screenshot of the temps).

The machine ships with a 360 and 240 radiator which by normal estimates can dissipate 500 - 600 watts of heat depending on how good it is.

the 13900ks produces roughly 250 - 350 watts of heat
the 4090 produces roughly 450 watts of heat.

I was told this was enough cooling to keep the machine from overheating however exhausting searches on the internet all say at least (2) 360 rads but the safe number is (3) 360 rads to keep the system running safely.

Normally the temps on the CPU and GPU when gaming are at 10c before throttling (100c for CPU - 84c for GPU) which doesnt allow for any wiggle room for safety on the components. Just 30 mins of playing Cyberpunk 2077 i had 3 cores hit 100c and the overall package hit 100c and the GPU got up to 75c without hitting the areas that are known for pushing a GPU.

So again my question is do i have a defective unit or are we all experiencing the same issue and i am the first to notice?

Have a blessed day
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2024 at 8:54pm
You should undervolt the CPU. I have a 12900K and undervolt about 90 milivolts. That is enough to keep the CPU from throttling. The components are designed to throttle when temps get above a certain level. High temps will not damage the equipment.

Enthusiasts like to squeeze as much power and performance for purposes of benchmarks. Undervolting and full open loop cooling are necessary to hit those scores. For the rest of us not interested in benchmarking competitively, really makes no difference.

The Lumos case is not the best from an air-flow POV. Glass panel on the front actually inhibits air-flow. Aventum is even more sensitive with the glass up close next to the fans. Again, for most of us non-benchmarking types, higher temps are really not a big deal. Worse case, take the front glass panel off and see what happens to your temps.

Quote Ragingfetus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Mar 2024 at 8:24am
I dont doubt what you posted would certain help the situation however the issue is right now any changes like that could void my DS warranty. If i built the machine myself i would be more than happy to try it but while its under warranty i will stay on the side of caution and not go mucking around in the BIOS.
Have a blessed day

Quote Ragingfetus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Mar 2024 at 7:10am
GrandesBollas - Worked with DS to do what you suggested above. Even with all the BIOS settings Rust thermal throttles on 6 P Cores and other games are doing the same thing. I dont think this can be fixed.
Have a blessed day
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 6:41am
Have you tried using the machine with the front glass and top glass removed? I have a Lumos and know that these glass panels restrict air flow. It is a known downside with this Corsair case design. This question is just to see if you see a noticeable reduction in temp.
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 6:55am
Here is an old GN review of the Corsair 570X. At the time, it was a good case for low thermal parts (6700K and a 1080Ti). My Lumos is a 3950x and 2070 Super (blower). I have hydrolux just on the CPU.

Given your selection of the most powerful and power hungry components, it certainly raises the question if such a case is relevant today for future builds. A Fractal North might have better performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xybUiva4xiY

Quote Ragingfetus Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Mar 2024 at 11:46am
I think at this point i will be contacting the BBB and filing a complaint with my CC company. My tech now has gone silent and its been over a week since i posted results from various tests.
Have a blessed day
 Post Reply Post Reply