Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Crazy Canuck View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Crazy Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos Build Advice
    Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 3:31pm
Budget:
$3000-$4000

Expectations:
To be able to run most games, Tomb Raider, The Witcher, Assassins Creed and all new games at high to ultra settings.

Usage:
Mostly gaming.

Special Needs:
Looking for a really quiet gaming computer. Will use with an Acer Predator X34P curved monitor 3440 x 1440   120hz

Saved Ticket #: Config ID 2637431

Looking for some guidance from the experts on my build. I purposely selected a low end video card that I plan on swapping out for my current MSI Gaming 1080 ti. My thought was to upgrade the 1080 ti later when I can no longer play at high/ultra settings. Here's the configuration I selected :
System Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair RM850x (Fully Modular)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - White - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 21 Oct 2019 at 5:32pm
Looks like a very solid Lumos build to me, and I like the logic of using your GTX 1080 Ti GPU.   Still a strong top end contender GPU that was also given Ray Tracing along with the RTX cards so there is still some time to use this excellent GPU.   I own one I use on an older 2011 DS build to keep it playing strong current titles at high frames on a 2K Dell 34" panel. This is the longevity benefit of buying the very top end NVidia cards...

Be aware that DS will work with you if there are certain components you want ordered.   Not yet offered by DS but quite available out there is the bigger Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB 360mm (3 x 120mm fan) cooler, and it's compatible with the front mount in the Lumos (Corsair Crystal 570X ATX case).   All you have to do is ask them about getting it for your build.   The 9900K can be a warm Overclocker so short of full HydroLux Pro that would be what I would use for an AIO selection and max your cooler.   
Crazy Canuck View Drop Down

Quote Crazy Canuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 3:23pm
Thanks HockeyBuck for the quick response. I have another question about cable management. I'm wanting to order the exotic cable management with the cable combs etc, but the RTX 2060 super only requires one 8 pin power connector, but my 1080 ti requires an 8 pin and a 6 pin power connector. I know the power supply probably has extra power management cables, but am concerned about trying to thread another one to the card after the fact and ruin the beautiful cable management. If I contact DS when I order, do you think they would thread an extra 8 pin power connector next to the other one, so I can easily swap out the cards and plug in the correct connectors for my 1080 ti ?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 22 Oct 2019 at 4:47pm
Yes, just ask them and that’s easy for DS to do.    
 Post Reply Post Reply