FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lumos Build

Post Date: 2020-03-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Phdevil View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Phdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos Build
    Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 4:32pm
Looking to get some feedback on this build before i think of buying.

Budget $2000-$2500

Expectations:
[Just looking to upgrade a 7year old system plus running a 2 monitor setup

Usage:
[Gaming and internet use]

Special Needs:
[Please Type Here]

Saved Ticket #: 2897705
Specifications:

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X (8-Core) 4.4 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X570-P (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 2x PCI-E Devices) (No SLI Support)
System Memory: 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Digital Storm Performance Series
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO) (NVM Express) (Extreme Performance)
Storage Set 2: - No Thanks
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce GTX 1650 4GB
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 1: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Single Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Black - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
Boost Processor: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Boost Graphics Card(s): - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 10-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 5:05am
So this build makes me wonder what your main use is for a custom-built computer. If it's primarily gaming like most of us, the selection of the most basic (and honestly pretty weak) GPU is not a very good choice. If it's all about the money, you would get a much stronger rig all around with a Lynx Ultimate. Pretty equivalent CPU, same RAM, better cooler, and a vastly stronger and more capable video card, all for $1579. You'd make a sacrifice in your primary SSD, but you'd have the option of buying an M.2 NVMe online and still save $.

If you want to stay with Ryzen and the Lumos case, I understand, but you'd improve with the dual fan AIO cooling for the CPU. With a robust budget, we have been accustomed to recommending an upgrade to the Corsair Vengeance RAM, but the price differential has recently jumped from a mere $17 to $49. The DS RAM carries only the standard one year DS parts warranty, while the Corsair's is Lifetime. Up to you.

I don't think you'd be very satisfied with the performance from the GTX 1650. I'd recommend you at least consider the 1660 Ti, and the RTX 2060 would be a pretty solid upgrade for you. The 1650 will run 2 monitors, but not perform very well for gaming. Since you mention your current rig is 7 years old, the 1650 compares head to head with a GTX 770 from seven years ago.

Hope it helps.
Phdevil View Drop Down

Quote Phdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 3:13pm
Cretae thanks for the reply,

First off ill say ive been out of the loop on GPU's hence the question so consider me a noob :).

The Ryzon is a personal choice as AMD has been a little better then Intel has in the past.

Ok to be a little more in depth yes it used for gaming, im not running much of the high end games that have been out,(play WoW and Swtor plus modded minecraft which can get ram heavy) and ill also be running a music program to listen to also.

The lumos is just a vanity type item cause i like the looks.

Ill take a look into the changes and see what it will come out to price wise and again thanks for the insight.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2020 at 3:46am
Totally cool. No issues here with a Ryzen build except it's not available in a Lynx option. The Lumos is a great looking case.

I would still recommend the better cooler for the long haul, and it would seem the 1660 Ti would be a solid budget choice for those games. Look into adding the internal lighting. It's a FREE flashing (or not!) light strip that would show off that case if it suits you. Can be completely turned off, or set to a couple of hundred diplays.

Happy hunting.
 Post Reply Post Reply