Lumos Maintenance (Liquid Cooling/Dust)

Post Date: 2020-01-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos Maintenance (Liquid Cooling/Dust)
    Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 1:24pm
Friends,

I am extremely excited and looking forward to my new Lumos rig. I'm already envisioning in the back of my mind a regular maintenance cycle - quarterly dusting; semi-annual fluid replacement. Not sure what documentation will come with my rig; my answer is probably already contained in that paperwork.

I elected to go with (I'm assuming) a 360mm radiator and a single CPU block. What is the volume of distilled water will I need to completely change out the coolant? I understand I will need to treat the water first (biocide and corrosion). Just trying to get an idea whether this is something I can regularly order from say Amazon, a water block vendor such as EK or from Digital Storm. Pretty sure I can get replacement flexible tubing from Amazon or hardware stores.

I found this useful video from Digital Storm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owceGZGIWyg&list=WL&index=18&t=0s
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Jan 2020 at 8:47pm
First, don’t worry...changes in your coolant clarity and or cpu temps will tell you when coolant might need changing in a year (or three) down the road.    When coolant starts looking a bit dirty from normal corrosion or impurities, then you change it out.    Generally for a very long time ahead, you will only need to top off your coolant reservoir every 6 months to one year or so whenever normal evaporation over time lowers the reservoir level a bit.    A plastic squeeze bottle coolant fill kit will do that job nicely...   

Second...you would not use water in the coolant system.    Ask DS what specific brand/model coolant they are using in your system, or order a few extra liter sized bottles of that coolant from DS.    Coolants for pc systems are non-conductive non-potable premixed liquids formulated for max thermal performance in reservoirs and radiators.    You only use one brand/model coolant in your reservoir/radiator system at a time, as the formulations cannot be mixed with other brands coolants these days.    EKWB, Koolance, XSPC , Alphacool are a few of the companies making pc coolants that you can find on amazon, Newegg, frozencpu...etc.    Most of these companies have fairly recently reformulated these products to comply with govt regulation of the industry and to comply with hazmat regulations and product labeling rules.. ( I use XSPC EC6 clear coolant.)

The only time distilled water is used these days is to flush out a drained coolant system until it is clean enough to refill with coolant, or when facilitating a change of coolant brand/model to something different.   

You will have to ask DS how much coolant is required to fill your particular combination of reservoir/radiator/tubing used.    DS has several different manufacturers they may utilize for assembling HydroLux components. Generally premixed coolants will be sold in 1 liter bottles.

Hope all that info helps you. Lol... My own DS HydroLux System with 360mm rad has not yet required anything but normal coolant top offs...haven’t needed a coolant change in 8 yrs. of 24/7 operation.

Edited by HockeyBuck - 28 Jan 2020 at 12:27am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Jan 2020 at 11:09am
Welcome to the open loop cooling systems. They require maintenance but not as often as you might think.

I echo HockeyBuck in that coolant changes are not as frequent as many people state. I had to change mine for repair reasons and it was new at 1 year. The current one is about 4 and as clear and more importantly, temps have not changed. I use Ek's clear EVO (no longer produced). When you order some, do order a lot - a gal or two - The formulations are always being "improved" and rarely backward compatible, no mixing. I needed a gallon to do some repairs that required a full flush. (Aventum II's 3 rads, large reservoir, gpus, cpu and related plumbing)

I have found a 24-pin remote switch real handy to turn the pump on only for the process. You can find them in Amazon....

Edited by hoserator - 28 Jan 2020 at 11:13am
 Post Reply Post Reply