Online Status: Offline
  Quote Dolphinman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos
    Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:13pm
Is this good at all

Budget: 2000-4300

Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo (BACKORDERED EARLY OCTOBER)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Formula (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 1000W Digital Storm Performance Series (Fully Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (1TB Samsung 970 EVO PLUS) (NVM Express)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (4TB Western Digital - Ultrastar Data Center Edition)
Storage Set 3: 1x Storage (3TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Corsair ML PRO Series (High Static Pressure) (Magnetic Levitation)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: Corsair Commander PRO Management Control Board & Software (1x Board)
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year P
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:37pm
Welcome to the forum Dolphinman!

First ...you titled this post for the Lumos case, but your build is using the Lynx mid tower ATX case...which did you intend to use?   Lumos is a bit roomier ATX mid tower case...actually the very popular tempered glass Corsair Crystal Series 570X case.

Secondly...What are you planning to use the rig for? If doing video encoding or programming work the extra cores and threads of that Ryzen 3900X CPU will be useful.   If for gaming...what kind of games do you want to play, and what monitor and resolution will you be using?   Gaming won't really make much use of all the extra CPU cores as its mostly a GPU specific activity.

Dolphinman View Drop Down

Quote Dolphinman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:40pm
I would like to play game like rainbow and star wars empire at war games like that and I ment to put the lumos case

Quote Dolphinman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 4:47pm
And I haven’t gotten a monitor yet but I would like a pretty decent one that can have high FPS
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 9:01pm
Well if this is a gaming rig...you really don’t need that Ryzen 3900X 12 core CPU for playing games....Gaming doesn’t make use of the extra cores, and it may delay your build as well.   

You could drop down to the better Corsair 850w PSU for a longer 5 yr warranty compared with only 1 year with DS brand components.

A build using the excellent Intel I7-9700K or I9-9900K 8 core processors and a Z390 mobo would be great for gaming use, and they are designed by Intel to be fully Overclocked for top end performance.

I would recommend you move up to a much stronger midrange video card like the NVidia RTX 2070 Super for solid 1080P or 2K gaming, or a stronger yet RTX 2080 Super if considering 4K or VR gaming.

Quote Dolphinman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 12:40pm
Would you recommend hydrolux cooling or just a normal stage two fan
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Oct 2019 at 2:23pm
I would definitely suggest using HydroLux Pro cooling if your budget can manage it.
I have a 2012 DS Hailstorm II rig using HydroLux Pro cooling and it has worked perfectly 24/7 with only top offs of coolant needed.   It would use a large reservoir of extra coolant you don’t get with sealed AIO coolers.   Better cooler temps of CPU & GPU mean better performance, stronger more stable Overclocks.    

Edited by HockeyBuck - 09 Oct 2019 at 2:23pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 8:35am
@Dolphinman: don't mean to hijack thread, just a quick question to Hockey Buck and BTW he is one of the main gurus around here.

@HockeyBuck: you keep your Hailstorm on 24/7? since 2012? I'm scared my system will develop a leak and drain out. It has had a few. Do you put your pc and/or monitor to sleep? Sorry for the questions. I also have a pc that won't shut down  (LOL) and I'm leaving on since it works fine but wondering.....

DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by hoserator

@Dolphinman: don't mean to hijack thread, just a quick question to Hockey Buck and BTW he is one of the main gurus around here.
@HockeyBuck: you keep your Hailstorm on 24/7? since 2012? I'm scared my system will develop a leak and drain out. It has had a few. Do you put your pc and/or monitor to sleep? Sorry for the questions. I also have a pc that won't shut down  (LOL) and I'm leaving on since it works fine but wondering.....

The only time I shut down my 3 rigs is on the rare occasions when we leave on a vacation...maybe once a year for a couple days.   Otherwise they are all up and running 24/7.    I do let the displays time out to sleep when not in use, but not the pc.    I have never had any issues with coolant leaks, and I’m real careful not to bump or mess with my hoses...lol.    One of these days my current coolant level in the 2012 Hailstorm II will drop enough that I will finally have to flush out the old coolant and refill with the new eco friendly stuff....I have bought the new formula XSPC EC6 coolant already...

Quote Dolphinman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:19am
https://www.digitalstorm.com/configurator.asp?id=2484461

@HockeyBuck would you say this is a bit over kill on the gpu for empire at war and other games or is that actually pretty good

Quote Dolphinman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 11:47am
ystem Configuration:
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lynx
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) (16-Thread) (8-Core) 3.6 GHz
Motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON AC (Wi-Fi) (Intel Z390 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3200MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum DHX (Extreme-Performance)
Power Supply: 600W Digital Storm Performance Series (Supports up to an NVIDIA RTX 2070 GPU)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD (500GB Digital Storm Performance Series)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster AE-7 (Hi-Res) (Ultimate Audio Playback)
HPC Processor: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Corsair H115i PRO - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Premium Cable Management (Strategically Routed & Organized for Airflow)
Chassis Fans: Digital Storm Performance Series (RGB Fans)
Internal Lighting: Digital Storm LED Lighting System
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stage 2: Overclock CPU - Up to 5.1GHz on All CPU Cores
Graphics Boost: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: Yes, Disable and tweak all of the non-crucial services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 20-25 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (3 Year Labor & 1 Year Part Replacement)
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:26pm
I was about to post a suggested build ...lol.   Your Config # 2484461 is still not using the Lumos case you said you meant to use..lol.   You have gone low end again on graphics.   

This added Config now is a bit better but still has some problems with undersized PSU, wrong case, add on sound board not needed.

Try this as high end of your stated $4000 budget.   Uses the very best NVidia RTX 2080 Ti video card on the market and would meet all of your Ultra settings objectives on most if not all games..   Used your 3 original storage choices, RAM & Corsair ML fan upgrade.   Comparable top end ASUS motherboard, excellent Intel 8-core I7-9700K Overclocked to Stage 2 best performance.   Did not select the Commander module as the fan upgrade includes one Corsair Fan Control module. and used the better Corsair 850w PSU with 10 yr warranty.
Used Windows 10 Home.    This gets you a very top end performance gaming rig using the best components for the job.    The only way I could really improve this build would be to go HydroLux Pro CPU + GPU cooling and also Overclock the GPU...and that would run an extra $757.

Lumos Build1. Config # 2621955. $4468 - DS Sale $400 off = $4068

See what you think, but for your $4000 budget you can have near maximum gaming performance!    

Edited by HockeyBuck - 10 Oct 2019 at 1:09pm
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2019 at 12:38am
@ HockeyBuck: thank you. I also try to keep my hoses still when I'm cleaning. lol All my leaks came from the swivel part of the fittings. They were way too loose. Must have been a batch of bad fittings and I got lucky - not! Big%20Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply