Post Date: 2019-10-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumos Top Fans, Exhaust or Intake?
    Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 6:47pm
I had thought that the 2 top fans on my new Lumos would be exhausting hot air out of the top of the case. However, I do not really feel any exhaust air coming out along the edge of the glass cover.

So, are these 2 top fans pulling air into the case?

Under that scenario, the Lumos has 5 intake fans and only 1 exhaust fan in the rear. I would logically think a 3 intake & 3 exhaust fan scenario would be more optimal.

Anyone know the logic for the Lumos fan set-up?
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 9:34pm
That used to matter more back when cases were mostly sealed.    
Lumos has fully vented metal mesh on the back and has open edges venting on all sides.     The only fan logic you really need to worry about in Lumos or any other 2019 DS case is about optimal temps of your key components.     Your big warm CPU air cooler is not the norm inside most cases now, so DS might have found it helpful or necessary to also make the 2 top fans intakes to help compensate with more cool intake airflow to get you more acceptable temps.      Your video card fans will also be exhausting some case air out the back.     Sounded like earlier you were very pleased with all your temps, but fan direction is very easy for you to change if you want to.     If the temps are good as is, then perhaps the fans are set up perfectly for your special Lumos rig.

Fan direction....There should be an embossed arrow showing the direction of airflow on at least one side of the fans frame.    Also, as a general rule fans will have a label or logo on the front center fan hub...and airflow direction is usually front (label side) to back.    So, if you look up inside the case at the top fans in question in your Lumos and see the fan backsides, then your fans are intakes.....and if you see the front labels then they are set to exhaust out the top.     Hope that info helps.   

Edited by HockeyBuck - 29 Oct 2019 at 9:37pm
Bob100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bob100 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 10:42am
The 2 top fans and the 3 front fans all have the Corsair label facing the inside of the case. The rear fan has the label facing the outside of the case.

The rear fan is definitely an exhaust fan, since you can feel the fairly strong air flow when you place your hand over the fan mesh vents at the rear of the case.

So, using the fan label position as an air flow indicator, that would mean the other 5 fans are all intake fans. It would be tough for those 2 top fans to be exhaust fans since they would be blowing right into that top glass panel, which surely would not be a very efficient exhaust path.

One of those top fans is positioned directly over the CPU air cooler, so that does make sense, i.e., it is blowing directly down on the air cooler vents. So that air cooler has the stock fan blowing through it horizontally and the case fan blowing down on it vertically.

I was doing some intensive movie rendering work yesterday that was putting quite a load (95% to 99%) on the CPU and the average CPU temps were fluctuating between 65 and 72. So, the air cooler seems to be doing ok.

Thanks for the helpful response.

Edited by Bob100 - 30 Oct 2019 at 10:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply