FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lumus and RTX 3090

Post Date: 2020-09-17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SpookyDiver View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lumus and RTX 3090
    Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:38am
Can anyone tell me if an Nvidia RTX 3090 will fit a DS Lumus case? I bought mine with a 1000 corsair power supply, which I think is enough. My only concern is the length of the card since I have a water cooling radiator mounted on the front fans.
Thanks
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 5:08am
Yes.

Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 11:23am
Thanks for the quick reply. I am waiting to see if they will come out with a 3080 with more than 10 gig RAM. I feel like 8 Gigs of RAM is the new standard for future games, and buying a new RTX card with only 2 more gigs of RAM is not a good idea, cause we all know Nvidia's marketing strategy, they will come out with an RTX 3080 with more than 10 gigs eventually. When I am ready and they have them back in stock I am going for the one that has more than 10 gigs of RAM.

Edited by SpookyDiver - 18 Sep 2020 at 11:24am
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 11:03pm
The RAM in the system is not the same as the gpu memory. That is why 16GB is the recommended system RAM.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 4:15am
You're going to have a long wait. Games don't demand much in video RAM. That spec is more about what monitor resolution you are driving and frame rates. Burn money if you must, but both of these cards are designed for 4k gaming and are overkill for anything less.

Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 2:48pm
These cards might be an overkill if you have a 2080Ti, but I have a 2070 (not super) and when playing flight simulator 2020 on my 3440x1440 with everything turn on for the best quality, I get between 22-34 fps, depending on the altitude of my flying (more altitude= +fps) and that is with my VC OC'd to +170/+750
No, these cards are not an overkill for FS2020
Also, I did have more than one game that with everything turned on I got red warnings on my Video RAM, and my 2070 has 8 GB.
Already decided to get the 3090 FE when is back in stock. My PC from DS came with 64GB of RAM, cause I use it for more than playing games and because I can afforded, I just wished I had ordered the 2080 Ti. I am not making that mistake again, I am going all the way this time. The money, at my age, is not an issue.

Edited by SpookyDiver - 28 Sep 2020 at 2:51pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 3:51am
FS 2020 is a different animal for sure.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 4:45am
On the 20gig version of the 3080, I heard last night that "at the earliest"........... January of next year. And January is if 3090 sales were to be very poor after release, than nVidia would launch the 20G 3080 variant to fill the gap. Sales good on the 3090, no need to release just yet.

Edited by fwfdfireman - 29 Sep 2020 at 4:47am

Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Cretae

FS 2020 is a different animal for sure.

I saw a chart of FS 2020 on both RTXs, and the 3090 beat the 3080 like by 18 FPS. I started on PCs back in 1983. Used to build my own for our family. Me and my kids had PCs with DFX Voodoo piggyback cards (remember those?) in every room. It got to the point that it became to expensive and aggravating to update my 3 PCs every two years because of new and more demanding software title. Most recently, like I posted above, I made the mistake "again" by not buying the most expensive card and now after just a year and a half I have a 2070 that already have to be replaced, and THAT is where the wasted money is.
Flight Simulator 2020 recommends 32 Gigs of RAM, but since I have 64 Gigs I am Ok. I could have saved money too at the time by not going with an i9-9900k, but I made the right choice. Also, I am glad I bought a Corsair 1000 watts PS with my system. Someone would have said at that it was an overkill. Now we know that it is exactly what I need with the 30 Series cards.
By the way, my Lumus DS system had been the best built I have ever had and beautiful too. I got the silicone lottery on both my CPU and RTX card. Was able to OCK my CPU to 5 ghz on all cores with just the basic two fan DS Liquid cooled system and after running Sandra benchmarks and others others for hours, the hottest it gets is 72C on a couple of cores and that is with the starting voltage for an OCd i9-9900. Been lucky with my 2070 too. My next system, if I live long enough, will be another DS for sure.

Quote SpookyDiver Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by fwfdfireman

On the 20gig version of the 3080, I heard last night that "at the earliest"........... January of next year. And January is if 3090 sales were to be very poor after release, than nVidia would launch the 20G 3080 variant to fill the gap. Sales good on the 3090, no need to release just yet.

Saw a video today that shows that the 3090 is not a replacement to the Titan lineup. Yes, it is faster than a Titan card for Games, but they did some benchmarking on some scientific applications and the Titan was actually faster. Apparently, according to the tech reviewing, Nvidia did not activate or disabled some features so the card won't compete with their next Titans and Quadro cards.
The 3090 will fly on my system, and I am willing to wait. For one thing, I do not plan ever to play on a 4K monitor. I just love ultra wide screens better, specially for my FS.
fwfdfireman View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote fwfdfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 4:41am
Originally posted by SpookyDiver

Originally posted by fwfdfireman

Saw a video today that shows that the 3090 is not a replacement to the Titan lineup. Yes, it is faster than a Titan card for Games, but they did some benchmarking on some scientific applications and the Titan was actually faster. Apparently, according to the tech reviewing, Nvidia did not activate or disabled some features so the card won't compete with their next Titans and Quadro cards.
The 3090 will fly on my system, and I am willing to wait. For one thing, I do not plan ever to play on a 4K monitor. I just love ultra wide screens better, specially for my FS.

I too plan on getting FS2020 as I have always loved the FS games. Microsoft's titles in FSims have really never been optimized very well. Over the years I did learn to tweak my FS to squeeze as much out of them as possible. I will be flying on the 3080 though. There are some guides already out there on tweaking FS 2020, so I will probably be diving in to those once my new rig gets here and I get it all set up.

You should soar with that 3090. As far as Titans go I know nothing. The price alone makes me NOT want to know anything about them.

Best of luck on your rig and with FS2020. Please let us,(me), know how FS2020 does on your setup.
 Post Reply Post Reply