Post Date: 2019-08-27

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Audius View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Audius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lynx or Aventum X
    Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 7:11pm
I am having trouble deciding between two of the desktops that Digital Storm custom build. The Aventum X and Lynx.

I will be putting the exact same hardware into whichever I end up going with.
Hardlined watercooled both GPU and CPU
i9-9900k
GeForce RTX 2080 TI
32GB DDR4 3200MHz Ram
Asus ROG Strix Z390-H Motherboard
1x SSD M.2 2T Samsung 970 Evo
1x 3TB Seagate/Toshiba/Hitachi

Since I'd use the same hardware for whichever build I went with, I only plainly see a few differences between them.
The case size, how many fans and radiators that are inside, color of case and RGB's, weight, etc.

So I'd like to hear opinions on which I should get. If the Extra performance I'd get out of the Aventum X with its bigger volume/room to upgrade, more fans, and more radiators would be worth the extra $1,100. Or if I should just stick to the smaller Lynx.

Thank You!
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Aug 2019 at 8:20pm

No comparison if we are talking performance.    Aventum X is the best watercooling everything case on the planet.    3 radiators and 14 case fans ....built in water-handling block...room for 8 drives...   CPU and GPU temps should be vastly lower in Aventum X, which translates to higher frequency and more stable Overclocks.    
A distinct advantage for better performance. You get what you pay for.   
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 5:13am
Wow, what a HUGE difference...literally!

The Aventum weighs from 70-90 lbs depending on what's in it. That has to be accommodated somehow, somewhere.

Temps vastly lower. What does that mean? I have a Corsair H115i, and the highest temp I've seen on my CPU is 61C. That's 24C below the temp generally recommended to stay under, and 29C below the max it's rated for. It's usually in the low-mid 50s under load. Is that safe? Sure. Would 40C be better? Sure. Does it matter? Let me put it this way: my last DS rig was overclocked about 40% above stock (2.75 GHz to 3.81). For over 7.5 years, the only time that machine was off was when I was out of town. On air, the temps never got extreme, and it still works to this day. It's just retired now. So, not having liquid cooling, not having 15 fans, not having vastly lower temps, made no difference whatsoever, apparently. In my case, $1100 would have been wasted.

The distinct advantage costs too much IMO.

Audius View Drop Down

Quote Audius Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 1:55pm
So the question is then, How much cooler would the water temp be with the extra radiator in the Aventum?
If with the extra, the temp would be significantly cooler than with 2, It would be worth it IMO. Especially since I'd have room to upgrade and OC even higher in the future. And size/weight of the Aventum wouldn't bother me since my current build is already monstrously big and heavy and I'm fine with it. However, if the extra rad wouldn't cool much more, and if just with the two in the Lynx I could keep temps down crazy low, I'd go with that. For price and size sake.
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Aug 2019 at 8:19pm
Lol...We don't work for DS my friend.   You can ask that temp question of the DS sales staff if you are still not clear how the two cases differ.   Only you can decide what you really want for your new DS build.
I assume cost is not a big factor here or you wouldn't be considering an Aventum X build at all.

The DS specs on the mid-tower DS Lynx ATX size case say Lynx will fit just 1 front radiator...360mm, or 280mm, or 240mm in size.   Probably for CPU + GPU HydroLux Pro they would need to use the larger 1x 360mm.   You will have to ask DS Sales what they will use in your order.

Aventum X comes equipped with 3 big radiators on board... a huge 560 mm radiator in the top, another 560 mm radiator in the bottom, and a 280 mm rad next to the PSU.   It also features a built-in custom water-distribution block and built in quick disconnect fluid ports to handle coolant routing to those 3 rads much cleaner. And 14 case fans to keep it all frosty.

If you want the lowest temps possible for Overclocking the CPU and GPU, then Aventum's E-ATX sized full tower case and (total) 1400 mm of radiators and 14 fans should cool several degrees Celcius lower than the single 360 mm radiator the Lynx case would have.   Overclocking with maximum cooling and airflow is what Aventum X was made to do, and that is why it costs more.

Lynx is simply not comparable to an Aventum X.    

You need to decide if a smaller less expensive Lynx build will make you just as happy, as it's a nice mid-tower ATX sized case...and temps will be perfectly acceptable.   Lots of gamers are quite happy with one 360 mm rad.   If that's you, then Lynx will do nicely and save you some money just as Cretae suggested.

If instead you desire to seriously game with maxed Overclocks and lowest possible temps for CPU & GPU, then the huge Aventum X is what you will need to accomplish that and be happy.

**I hadn't mentioned this yet, but I like to warn folks that when we hear of leaks on the forum, it's usually the hard line tubing not handling shipping bumps very well.   Looks very nice, but it is not at all flexible when shippers drop or bump the crate.   Also a bit harder to work on your system or do normal maintenance as the tubing can't be moved to get out of your way.   We usually recommend using the flex tubing as the most practical choice when shipping the build.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 5:19am
@ HockeyBuck:

Very nicely defined. It really is a choice between "perfectly acceptable" and "lowest possible temps".
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Aug 2019 at 11:11am
Really?
Aventum: exclusive DS custom  mega tower.
Lynx: Corsair mid tower.

At least compare with the Velox.

BTW the windows are opposite on each.
 Post Reply Post Reply