FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Lynx stage 1 build puzzling issue, thoughts?

Post Date: 2024-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
too_lazy_noob View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote too_lazy_noob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Lynx stage 1 build puzzling issue, thoughts?
    Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 6:18am
Hi everyone!  Been almost a year since my purchase and it's been a perfect machine until this past month.  Been acting up and just wanted to hear some thoughts and insight to what it can be.   I have it narrowed down but I'm not 100% sure.  Here's what it's main guts are:
CPU: Intel Core i3 12100F
Motherboard:  Asus PRIME B760M-A AX D4
Ram: 16gb Viper DDR4-3200 (2 sticks)
SSD:  Kingston SNV2S 500gb
GPU:  Nvidia Geforce RTX 3050 8gb.

So, It's been freezing randomly the past month.  I'll be on youtube and it will freeze and either keep playing the audio or loop the last 5 seconds eternally until it corrects itself.  I will try to look in my apps, or navigate through explorer and it will hang up.  I try to open task manager and it will hang.  Can't figure out the trigger for it.  

At this point I've narrowed it down to either the RAM or SSD but that's where I am like 75% sure and need input to finally buy a replacement and get this resolved.  I ran memtestx86 off of a flash drive and did 2 passes.  I know that it is beneficial to do 8 but at the time I had no idea it would take so long lol.  Even with those 2 passes the RAM had no errors.  I was under the impression that if the ram was obviously bad it would show up pretty easily and that if any errors show up way later on it wouldn't be easily noticeable so I'm figuring the ram must still be pretty solid.  I dunno if it has done anything but I also turned off XMP for curiosity considering that this rig is very much on the low end (I don't need ram that runs blistering fast lol) and it ran great at first but it's giving me issues again.  Highly doubt xmp has anything to do with this at this point.

As for the SSD I opened up Crystaldisk and it shows no red flags but I'm starting to lean towards the SSD.  I have had to run the windows file directory repair tool 1 time so far and the other day the American Megatrends BIOS showed up with a gbp (i think thats what its called) error.  Thing is I have power-button-shutdown'ed this thing so many times that I'm not sure if the SSD is giving me warnings or if I caused those with the forced shutdowns. 

So I dunno, ram or ssd?  Interested in your guys thoughts.  Of course I'm not pinning any of this on DS.  It's pretty impossible for anyone to know if a part is gonna fail this far down the road so I'm not expecting DS to have that power at the time of building anything.  Still think this company makes awesome PC's and I am still a happy customer.

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 9:21am
Sorry you are having this issue. It can ruin the experience real quick.

If your system is less than 1 year old give DS a call and they can do a remote check. It might be a corrupted OS because of all the forced shutdowns but I know next to nothing on software issues. 
I think SSDs, IMO, work until they don't. Not like the SSDs of old which could give you warnings of impending failure.

Hope you get it going. Keep us posted.

Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Online Status: Online
  Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2024 at 10:27am
Many years ago I had a similar problem. The culprit was malware/bloatware. I understand that you've narrowed it to a hardware issue but have you totally ruled out software/virus?

Just my thoughts.
too_lazy_noob View Drop Down

Quote too_lazy_noob Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2024 at 4:53am
Just figured I would update.  I have scanned with 2 different anti-virus and found nothing.  Just now I had to start it twice because the first start-up couldn't even get to the windows password screen.  Time showed up but there was no background and no input box, couldn't do anything.  It's looking more and more like an SSD issue considering I have ran file directory repair tools already on it and it still is showing signs of not even being able to occasionally get to the main windows desktop.  I dunno maybe it just needs a fresh windows install to straighten itself out but I don't want to go through all that just to have the same issues potentially still pop up Confused.  At this probably a call to DS is in store, they might have programs or point me to programs that can figure this stuff out. 
GrandesBollas View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote GrandesBollas Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 9:10pm
At first glance at your original post, my thought was you had a corrupt install of Windows. Maybe a bad update which happens. Later you mention getting a "gpb" error. I think that might have been a GPT error.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/windows-setup-installing-using-the-mbr-or-gpt-partition-style?view=windows-11
PcKiller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote PcKiller Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 9:22pm
I had the same problem with my 10 old DS PC. Did a fresh windows install, and that fixed it. And that happened about a year ago. The DS PC in my sig, is my 2nd DS PC I just got last month. I love it.
I-5 14600 KF
ASUS Prime Z790-P D5
32GB DDR5 6000MHz Kingston FURY Beast RGB
SSD M.2 2TB Samsung 990 PRO
RTX 4080 16GB
H20: Stage 3: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler
Asus PB278Q 27" 2560 by 1440
 Post Reply Post Reply