FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marauder Upgrade Help

Post Date: 2013-01-15

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Shadow0fLiberty View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
  Quote Shadow0fLiberty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Marauder Upgrade Help
    Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 4:26pm
Hello, I am saving up to buy a digital storm Marauder level 1, and I needed some help with upgrades I was planning to get.
 
As a soon-to-be 15 year old with no job and the only source of income being getting good grades and washing my Family's company vans, I have a very small budget. I am exclusivelly an xbox player, although I have a ps3. However, my friends have started to move towardes playing games on the PC. So, I decided, that I would look into PC gaming, and after online shopping over a span of a few months, I have decided on getting a Digital Storm PC.
 
The community and admins have been extremely helpful, and without a doubt DS lives up to its reputation.
 
I want to get the Marauder Level 1, and upgrade parts as time went on. For instance, on another thread, someone reccommended upgrading the video card for the best gaming performance, and suggested a GTX 660. I looked at a chart of the fps for it, and I am impressed. It will definatley suit my needs/wants for my new system. I was also taught in my IT fundamentals class that Intel CPUs are a lot better than AMD, which is what comes in the level 1. So, I figured after a few months of owning the system, I would upgrade the video card and CPU.
 
My first question is how hard is it to put in these new parts, keep in mind that I have no experience and I'll likely be going off an online guide.
 
Also, what other parts would be a good idea to upgrade sooner than later? I was initially thinking RAM, but I'm not sure. With the new CPU and Video card, would I need a new power supply?
 
Thanks for reading, and for any help in the replies!
•I have so many ideas. Some are simple like take down traffic lights and eliminate the post office. The bigger ones will be tougher, like ‘bring all this crumbling to the ground.’
Back to Top
Shadow0fLiberty View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Jan 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
  Quote Shadow0fLiberty Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 4:27pm
Sorry for the bad spelling, I'm VERY bad at typing. Might take keyboarding next year.
•I have so many ideas. Some are simple like take down traffic lights and eliminate the post office. The bigger ones will be tougher, like ‘bring all this crumbling to the ground.’
Back to Top
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1608
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 5:44pm
An Intel i5 3570k cpu...and a GTX 660 or similar GPU.    Just those two upgrade parts alone would cost about $450 at newegg, a few months after buying a new CPU and GPU with the new $800 pc???    I suggest that it's better to do things right...once.   If the DS Marauder 1 isn't equipped with what you want, then wait a bit longer and save up to to buy the build that you would stick with for a couple years.   Think you would be a lot better off just waiting those extra few months and saving a bit more cash for a Bolt 1, Bolt 2, or a Marauder 4 that come already outfitted as you desire.    

It's easy to replace a video card when it's time, a bigger deal to replace a CPU... You could learn a lot doing it, but it's a much bigger deal if something goes wrong with a CPU.    The risk would all be yours.    When you buy a new DS PC with the current promotional 2 yr parts - 4 yr labor warranty ....it means all of those parts in the build have DS warranty protection included in your purchase....so if something goes wrong with the CPU or graphics card DS Tech Support will help you and can replace those components for you if needed.    Unless you buy those upgrade parts from DS, you would no longer be covered by DS for problems you could have with those new parts.    Hope that helps you decide what to do Shadow... stick with what you buy and get your full moneys worth out of it before making major changes.
Back to Top
tdtnsp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 23 Dec 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 105
  Quote tdtnsp Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Jan 2013 at 9:30pm
My vote is the Ode 1. It is the best bang for your bucks and will save you from upgrading headaches and troubleshooting. Consider an advance loan for future job? Monthly payment in chores? Combined birthday and Xmas gift?
Back to Top
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20391
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Jan 2013 at 3:35am
You would also have to change the motherboard.    Intels don't fit in AMD boards.


Like was said, save a bit longer and buy once.   

Edited by bprat22 - 16 Jan 2013 at 3:36am
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.1000977 seconds.