FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marauder v2 Questions

Post Date: 2012-08-16

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
nick11h View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 May 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote nick11h Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Marauder v2 Questions
    Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:18pm
It's an awesome machine.
A bit larger than expected, but great, nevertheless.

In the future, could I add another AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB card and set up a Crossfire? Is there room? Would it overheat? (Opening up the interior to take out the packing foam was the first time I've ever touched the inside of a computer. Aka: I'm a noob).

While downloading a couple games on Steam and playing Minecraft, I got an Asus AI warning about my cpu heat being 65 degrees. I quickly exited the game (but left the downloads running) and found that it had gone back down to 45 Celsius.

Is that normal? Did I forget a fan driver? Should I be turning up the air conditioning?

Thanks for any help/advice.

Edited by nick11h - 16 Aug 2012 at 12:19pm
Back to Top
tju76 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Mar 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 804
  Quote tju76 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:26pm
65 is not a concern weird that a warning came on
Back to Top
nick11h View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 May 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote nick11h Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:28pm
Thanks for the verification. I spent the last 5 minutes staring at the cpu, wondering if it would blow up.

I'm new to $500+ PCs.
Back to Top
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20391
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 12:43pm
Yep, tju76 is right from what I've read.  The Bulldozer chip should be good for 90C.
 
As far as crossfire, the motherboard is cf capable and I think the power supply would handle it.  Only potential problem is that the second Pcix16 slot the cards plug into, the black one, is only wired for x4 lanes as opposed to x8 usually, meaning half the bandwidth ..  I don't know how the 7770 would work in that slot.  It would work but maybe not at full potential.
 
Just my opinion, but later on if you need a boost, stay with a single video card and go to a HD 7850 if budget allows.  It's another $100 over the 7770, but would give a big boost in fps and eliminate the possible cf problem and be friendlier for the power supply.
.  Here's a link to compare 7770 to 7850.
 
 
If you keep getting the alarm, I would call DS and see what's up.


Edited by bprat22 - 16 Aug 2012 at 12:44pm
Back to Top
nick11h View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 May 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote nick11h Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 1:14pm
Thanks for explaining that, I was completely oblivious to the x lanes. Is having one powerful graphics card generally better than two weaker ones?
Back to Top
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20391
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 1:30pm
Depends what cards are compared, but it this case I would say the single 7850 or 7870 would be a better solution.   Plus a single card uses half the juice and less heat to get rid of and quieter.      Of course, budget always plays a big role.    Enjoy your new Marauder.
Back to Top
nick11h View Drop Down
Newbie
Newbie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 May 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
  Quote nick11h Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Aug 2012 at 5:18pm
Awesome, thanks.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.09375 seconds.