FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Max safe i7 core temp?

Post Date: 2009-11-16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
joema View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote joema Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Max safe i7 core temp?
    Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:08pm
My i7-860 is overclocked to 3.8Ghz, cooler=Asetek 240mm, 2x Zalman ZM-F3 fans @ 1800 rpm, ambient temp 20C.

Running Prime95 blend, Realtemp 3.4 reports about 81C peak after 30 min. TJ Max is 99C. Distance to TJ Max averages 20-30C across all cores.

Starting with the i7, Intel encodes TJ Max into the chip, which Realtemp reads, so I assume that's accurate.

Question: what is the long term safe distance to TJ Max for Lynnfield CPUs?

Some say TJ Max should always be 30+C long term, or don't ever hit 80C core temp. If so what's the basis for that?
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 12:43pm
The only bit of info officially from Intel is TJ case Temp max of 67.2C if memory serves me correctly. That would equate to around 79C-83C as Realtemp reads the senors, and considering the location of the sensors.
Rule of thumb for overclocking is to keep it under 85C, because some have seen stability issues above that temp on some setups.
For server applications, or continuous hard usage such as folding, keeping it under 80C is a good Idea, for longevity, but for the average person they will not see those kinds of loads with normal gaming/apps.
Bottom line is as long as you rig is stable, I would not worry about temps much since it is under warranty, but if you see exceptionally high temps 90C+ and your ambient is decent, I would then call DS.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Nov 2009 at 4:17pm
Your temps are perfectly fine and in-line with that high of an overclock.
joema View Drop Down

Quote joema Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Nov 2009 at 11:22pm
BTW I removed the Asetek 240mm cooler and replaced it with a Noctua NH-D14. Temperatures dropped about 10C (81C max to 71C max) under the same test conditions. It's also a lot quieter.

At this point I wouldn't recommend the Asetek cooler (either 120 or 240mm) over high end air cooling.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 1:47am
don't worry none of us do
EdH63 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote EdH63 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 8:06am
Could you post a pic of the  Noctua NH-D14, please?
joema View Drop Down

Quote joema Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 11:58am
Here it is. I oriented the NH-D14 to exhaust upward, used a 200mm Cooler Master fan at 700 rpm on the outside of the case (wouldn't quite fit inside). Rear case fan is 120mm Noctua NF-S12B at 1200 rpm (though all are on an Aerocool Touch 2000 fan controller).

There's also a 200mm Cooler Master intake fan in the side, and the HAF922 case has a stock 200mm intake fan in the front. So two 200mm intake fans, one 200mm exhaust fan and one 120mm exhaust fan.

Previously the Asetek 240mm cooler had two Zalman ZM-F3 radiator fans at (up to) 1800 rpm. Per Asetek's config advice they were mounted as intake. At 1800 rpm they were pretty loud and cooling wasn't nearly good as the much quieter Noctua NH-D14.

Pictures below:

Edit: 1st pic is initial Asetek 240mm cooler:

Final external appearance. Left side blue 200m and front red 200mm fans are intake, top 200mm blue and rear 120mm fans are exhaust.

Edited by joema - 19 Nov 2009 at 3:25pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 5:13pm
Very nice and just like I have been saying all along Noctua NH-U12P or frostchill/subzero, the rest is waste of money and time.

Edited by DST4ME - 19 Nov 2009 at 6:53pm
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 5:55pm

DST4ME, you forgot the Sub-Zero LCS package!

e06028 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote e06028 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 6:27pm
Those of us who have the V8 may start feeling like we got the wrong one. It was great when we bought it but now it sounds like we messed up which I don't think we did.  The V8 is still working just fine and at least my temps are good.   
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 6:52pm
@Alex you are right I will correct that.

@e06028, I appologize, I didn't mean that v8 is not good, the Noctua NH-U12P is a tad better then v8 and is more quiet, since the difference is only a few bucks its worth it to go with Noctua, they didn't have it at the time you guys were buying, otherwise Noctua would have been recommended, but keep in mind v8 is great also, performance-wise there is very little difference between them, they are both good, but for such a small difference in price Noctua is the better choice.
joema View Drop Down

Quote joema Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by DST4ME

Very nice and just like I have been saying all along Noctua NH-U12P or frostchill, the rest is waste of money and time.

I don't know if there was something wrong with the Asetek 240mm unit I had, or if that was the normal performance.

I removed and meticulously cleaned the CPU and waterblock twice, and applied the exact amount of Arctic Silver 5 they recommend. Nothing made any difference. According to the motherboard the pump was turning at the expected speed, about 1400 rpm. Likewise the two Zalman ZM-F3 fans were at 1800 rpm.

I accept that DS ships lots of overclocked pre-built machines using the Asetek cooler, and they apparently run OK. Mine ran OK, it was just very hot.

On my system, the NH-D14 was a tremendous improvement. Much better cooling *and* much quieter. That's a hard combination to beat.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 6:59pm
ya that is one of many reasons why so many of us love and recommend Noctua
sjjohns23 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote sjjohns23 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 7:13pm
People that are unfamiliar should keep in mind that the Noctua Joema installed is not the one offered by DSO. It is slighty more expensive version of the one offered by Digital storm.
joema View Drop Down

Quote joema Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 19 Nov 2009 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by sjjohns23

People that are unfamiliar should keep in mind that the Noctua Joema installed is not the one offered by DSO. It is slighty more expensive version of the one offered by Digital storm.

Noctua says the new NH-D14 (what I used) cools better at the lowest fan speed than the NH-U12P (what DS carries) cools at max fan speed.

I'm sure DS will start carrying and equipping machines with the new NH-D14, now that it's available. It is bigger than the single-tower NH-U12P, but it fit within my HAF922 case OK.
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 1:40am
We can put it on our list to look at. My question is, how heavy is it? That's one of the big problems with us selling high-end air heat sinks with our systems.

We don't want them damaging the motherboard during shipping.
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 1:45am
Ya if they are not that heavy then it would be great if DS offered it, cause it sounds like a beast
joema View Drop Down

Quote joema Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 20 Nov 2009 at 11:10am
Originally posted by Alex

We can put it on our list to look at. My question is, how heavy is it? That's one of the big problems with us selling high-end air heat sinks with our systems.

We don't want them damaging the motherboard during shipping.

NH-D14 weight:

900g - without fans
1070g - one fan
1240g - both fans

By contrast the NH-U12P is 600g without fans and 770g with one fan. The Cooler Master V8 is 865 grams.

The fans can easily be removed before shipping, which reduces weight to roughly the V8 range.

BTW my DS system was inadequately packed. The solution to avoiding shipping damage is not limiting config options, but to properly pack the PC before shipping.
 Post Reply Post Reply