FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Memory Question

Post Date: 2007-09-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
donkeypunch View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Memory Question
    Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 2:05pm
Ok, I put my order in Friday, Order 5277. Unfortunetly since I moved from NJ to PA I always have autherization issues with my bank. Ouch I think I placed 6 orders since I moved here and I always get the same notice that my order is delayed because my address doesnt match with what my bank has on file, meanwhile I get all my bank statements at my address! Once the company calls my bank everything is good, but I really need to find out why every order I placed in the last 5 months has had issues. Anyway, I now have some time before they reprocess my order Monday and have a few questions! Tongue 

Heres my order config as of now:

System Configuration:
Case: Digital Storm Twister ULTRA (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 750W Thermaltake (SLI Compatible) (Silent Toughpower
Edition)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1
Revision)
Memory: 2GB DDR2 Corsair at 800MHz XMS2 (Dual Channel)
(Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Media: Sony 1.44MB Floppy (Black Edition)
Hard Drive 1: 150GB Western Digital Raptor (10K RPM) (16MB Cache)
(SATA) (Extreme Speed)
Hard Drive 2: 500GB (Western Digital / Seagate) (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM)
(SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
(LightScribe Edition)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL
/ Network Connections)
Modem: - No Thanks
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GTX 768MB (By: eVGA / Asus)
(PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer (Up to 7.1
Channel) (Recommended)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper
Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Blue Edition) (Cold Cathode
Tubes)
Round Cables: Enhanced Interior Air Flow (Optical Drive & Floppy Cables
(Red Edition)
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes
Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image
Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks my keyboard comes with a mouse

My first question is on memory. I have the 800mhz even though my processor FSB is 1066mhz. I was contemplating upgrading to the 1066 memory but I plan on doing a slight overclock. Im fairly new to OC'ing but it would seem actually downgrading to the 667mhz may be better. I DONT want to OC my Q6600 to 3.4ghz as I dont have sufficiant cooling. I just want to get it up to around 3ghz. So for OC'ing, which memory should I get to run up the Q6600 to around 3ghz? Hug

Secondly, I just noticed your OC'ing feature with your Stage 3 cooling. Right now I have stage 2. So for 50 bucks you guys can OC for me. With my setup what do you think you would crank it up to? Embarrassed

Also, I purchased a Samsung 24" 245BW from NewEgg on Friday for $499. Im now looking at the Samsung 24" 244t that DS sells for $670. Is it worth $170 for the 244t? I dont need to use any inputs on a monitor. My ONLY concern is picture quality, mainly for movies. I game a little but not alot. Im more into photos and movies. I read about the different panel types and am concerned with the viewing angle on the 245BW. As long as I can lye down 5 feet away and about 1 foot below the monitor without distortion im happy. Which monitor would you guys recommend? Shocked

These are minor things as im already happy with my config, I just want to see if any tweaking should be done.  Thanks for any help! Thumbs%20Up

Edited by donkeypunch - 23 Sep 2007 at 2:11pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 2:17pm
800MHz is fine for overclocking the Q6600 to 3.0GHz. They crank the Q6600 up to 3.0GHz.

DDR2 ram is duo-pumped (800MHz / 2 = 400MHz)
Intel CPUs are quad-pumped (1066MHz / 4 = 266MHz)

Both great monitors, you just paying the extra price for the upgrade in size. You decide if that's worth it.

Edited by skyR - 23 Sep 2007 at 2:23pm
The only thing that keeps me wishing on a wishing star.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 2:25pm
Ok, I was just wondering with memory since I was reading in order to keep the memory and processor at a 1:1 ratio the Q6600 would have to be pumped up to 3.4ghz. Its hard to explain as the articles were quite long and complex.

One last question about the Q6600, do these have the new G0 stepping?

I believe both monitors are 24" skyR. I think the 244t just has extra inputs and a different panel type. The panel type is my concern. I read that the color can shift quite a bit on the 245BW since it has the cheaper TN panel as opposed to the TFT display on the 244T. Just curious if anyone knew is the actual picture quality was noticable. :)

Edited by donkeypunch - 23 Sep 2007 at 2:29pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Sep 2007 at 2:28pm
They still carry the B3s I believe.
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 11:41am
Original Post by donkeypunch

If your wondering because your planing on Over-Clocking, the B3s OC just as well as the GO versions do.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 12:38pm

^I've read thats debatable but I believe ya. Im more concerned about temps. I know it isnt much of a differance but I figured the new g0 revision has been out awhile now and was hoping DS would have a fresh batch. Its not a big deal, was just curious. :)

tummy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tummy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 12:57pm
Maybe someone from DS could confirm?  Sky... Aside from what version you received, how do you know what they are putting in their machines now?

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 1:17pm

Just got a call from DS, they're calling my bank now so hopefully everything gets processed today! Patience is a virtue...BAH HUMBUG! Tongue It was funny too, I was downstairs outside and the phone was on the deck. I live in a chalet so theres a ton of steps to get back up to the deck. I hear the caller ID say its DIgital Storm so I ran as quick as I could to get the phone. I got there in time but was so winded I could hardly breathe! lol I really need to quit smoking! Angry

I was actually reading through some older posts and noticed one where people were requesting the G0 stepping. I didnt see it until this morning. I can already see how it was snowballing and alot of people trying to make requests or revise their order. I dont want to be a hassle as others have said there isnt a very big change between the two revisions.

When I asked that question I didnt see the other thread. It was said that its likely we will get G0 revisions since they recieve fresh stock frequently, but no promises! :D So if nobody's sure i'll just take what I get and update you guys when my cpu arrives. Although knowing now would take a bit of suspense out of the equation! Wink

Edited by donkeypunch - 24 Sep 2007 at 1:20pm
Bill the Cat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Forum Bitch!

Quote Bill the Cat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Jeff

Original Post by donkeypunch

If your wondering because your planing on Over-Clocking, the B3s OC just as well as the GO versions do.

As I recall, the last overclocking article I read said that the G0s require slightly less power and therefore do run slightly cooler. However, they were disappointed in how little practical difference it actually made. So unless you're a really hard core overclocker straining to reach 4 Mhz, the stepping you get probably really doesn't matter.

All I know is what I read in the paper.... Your milage may vary.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 1:35pm
Yes, for hardcore OC'ing I read a few articles that said the G0 revision let them run a bit higher clock speeds stable. Since I dont plan on keeping my cpu in the freezer im not going to OC onto the brink of meltdown.

The benefit to me would be the lower stock voltage and a processor running just a tab cooler. A few tests have shown the new G0 stepping squeezes out a few extra FPS even without OC'ing. As I said, I wouldnt be entirely disappointed if I recieved a B3, but would of course much rather have a G0 revision.

Heres a pretty easy to read article listing some of the differances between the two revisions for anyone whos curious.

Edit: Ok, the monitor debate is over. Newegg shipped my monitor this morning so I cant cancel it any longer. Its shipping from NJ, so im hoping it gets here in PA tomorrow :D Cant wait. LOL

Edited by donkeypunch - 24 Sep 2007 at 1:38pm
skyR View Drop Down

Digital Storm Apprentice

Quote skyR Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 3:30pm
The G0 uses 10 watts less but the rest of the specs are the same as B3.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 4:21pm
"G0 fixes a handful of bugs, but most of them were minor and or have software workarounds in play. The more noticeable aspect of G0 is its lower power consumption, which some have proposed as meaning G0 cores may be better overclockers. "

I wonder if theres any truth to the bug fixes? The article never goes into detail on exactly which bugs were fixed. Being that the new G0 revision has been out for over a month im hoping DS has a fresh batch. As I said, im not trying to OC to an extreme but the bug fixes sound appealing. The feature I like the best is the 10 watt less power consumption. Considering its $100 to get an additional 100w power supply, that 10 watts can make a differance. It also appeared that even with stock speeds that in many benchmarks the G0 revision scored higher.  Not by much, but still an improvement that would be most welcome!
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 4:41pm
You probably won't get the G0 stepping with your order. I made a request for the G0 stepping before my system shipped but i didn't get it. DS told me that they have to hold my system for a few more days to test the new stepping but when it arrive it still didn't have the G0 stepping. I ran CPU-Z on saturday and it reported that my cpu is a B3 stepping Cry.  I spoke with DS when my system is in stage 2 and we agreed on the extra charge for the G0 stepping so i assume that DS did have it but apparently they didn't. It would be nice if i get an e-mail or call from DS but i didn't.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 5:11pm
When did you recieve your computer commast? Considering companies were getting G0 revisions on or around July 16th there hasnt been a big time gap to sell all the older B3 revisions. Its now been over 2 months so was hoping DS replenished their stock and got the new processors. I understand it would to too difficult to take special requests but I was hoping that they have fresh boards in now.

I would think your case is a bit different if your saying you actually paid extra for the G0 and didnt get it. Seems like a misunderstanding but I truly hope you get that issue resolved!
Jeff View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jeff Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 6:30pm
As far as I know, DS can confirm this maybe, but the GO revisions are still pretty hard to get ahold of. Not sure if Intel is trying to purge the B3s before flooding the market with the GOs. I think if you tell DS to build around the GO version it may cause delays, and there will be a back-up of unfinished computers until these are available.

Just my theory.
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by donkeypunch

When did you recieve your computer commast? Considering companies were getting G0 revisions on or around July 16th there hasnt been a big time gap to sell all the older B3 revisions. Its now been over 2 months so was hoping DS replenished their stock and got the new processors. I understand it would to too difficult to take special requests but I was hoping that they have fresh boards in now.

I would think your case is a bit different if your saying you actually paid extra for the G0 and didnt get it. Seems like a misunderstanding but I truly hope you get that issue resolved!

I received my PC on 09/20/07. DS told me that they have to held my PC for a couple more days to test it, so i thought DS did have a G0 in stock.

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:04pm
I agree Jeff, companies, more so retailers need to move old stock. Since DS is a smaller outfit I was hoping they didnt have as large an inventory as a huge retailer, ie. newegg. So if DS gets fresh shipments of Q6600's quite often then chances are high its the new G0 revision. I would never ask to have my order delayed just to wait for a G0 as the differance isnt that significant. Of course, it would be great to have it in there since its been out for a good while now. Im happy with either one to be honest.

Did you contact DS directly commast? I would be concerned as well if you paid extra for the G0 version, if I understood you correctly. Seems like there must have been some miscommunication somewhere along the line if they held your computer spefically to test the G0 and then its the B3. Maybe try calling and seeing whats up, they seem very helpful with these type of things.

On a side note, I just got this new wireless keyboard in today. Its the logitech wave, comes with a wireless mouse but I dont use it, I only wanted the keyboard. This thing is so cool lol. Its funny, I ordered a surround sound setup and it came with a free laser light/pen. THey both shipped Fed Ex, and both arrived in PA last Friday. I got the laser light on Sat. but no speakers. Now its Monday and the tracking# still shows the last scan was on Friday! I cant wait to get these things! The monitor should be here tomorrow.

My original graphic card(Radeon 9800 Pro) in my dell konked out. The fan stopped spinning so the card ran red hot and I got pixles all over my screen, then it would shut down. I tried finding an aftermarket cooler, but the Zalman VGA coolers all run like $30+. So instead I just ordered a new 9600Pro for $50. Cant wait to get it, right now I have my Dell case opened up with a huge fan blowing on my graphic card! LOL

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 8:13pm
And now im getting so frustrated. I originally ordered a Dell a full month ago. My order kept getting delayed for no apparent reason so I canceled and began my quest to find a custom builder. I took a long look at a few companies and decided DS seemed like the best. I have to tell you, I am impressed with their customer service already. Even they way they answer the phone gave me a chuckle!Clown

Anywhoo, it seems my bank had all my updated address information EXCEPT for my debit card. I knew something was amiss considering every order I placed since I moved here had the same verification problem, but as soon as they called the bank everything was groovy. Wacko

I call my bank Friday and tell them im buying a computer and to up my limit to $3500. They say ok. That night I get an email from DS saying the address doesn't match. So today, Monday, I call the bank to find out how they forgot to update my debit card with my new address. She says shes on it like white on rice, cool beans. Now 5 minutes later DS calls and says the charge is being denied. I told my bank TWICE, both Friday and Monday to remove the block and authorize $3500! After DS told me this I called my bank at 5:01 EST and they were of course closed! Thumbs%20Down

So now im stuck waiting to hear something from DS to try and run the card again. If I don't hear anything its yet another call to my bank to shake things up. I think I need to switch banks, never had such a hard time spending my own money lol. Sorry for the rant, just had to vent a little. Tongue

EDIT: A few minutes after writing this Alex calls to get the order through and verified. Everything worked out and my order is finally in and the suspense is over, or just beginning depending how you look at it :D Either way, thanks for the call Alex, very nice of you. Smile

Edited by donkeypunch - 24 Sep 2007 at 8:33pm
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Sep 2007 at 9:00pm

Did you contact DS directly commast? I would be concerned as well if you paid extra for the G0 version, if I understood you correctly. Seems like there must have been some miscommunication somewhere along the line if they held your computer spefically to test the G0 and then its the B3. Maybe try calling and seeing whats up, they seem very helpful with these type of things.

No, i didn't contact DS since i don't really want to ship back my system just to get the G0 stepping and no DS didn't charge me anything since the cpu is a B3. Still it would be nice if they contact me before shipping out my system and let me know that they don't have the G0 in stock.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 1:38am

I have to apologize about the G0 and B3 stepping request. They weren't as easy as we thought. It was being problematic in helping us thoroughly testing all of the machines during the back to school season.

Commast, we were working long and hard for everyone that wanted a G0 processor. However taking the systems apart every time, and restocking the B3 processors and obtaining a new replacements were a very time consuming task for us. We had to be fair to all of our customers.

You are right that we should have contacted you about this, I am sorry about that, it's just that we didn't have a system in place to keep track of special requests such as yours. We did try our best. A special stepping request was a first, and I am not sure if other system integrators would even try to check core revisions on systems.

As from Intel, they stated the G0 and B3 are both being produced still. Our stock is always fresh, we don't stock up on processors, that's one of the ways we can pass the savings to our valued customers.

From our personal experience, both of the B3 and G0 processors are perfectly fine. The G0 might be only a small degrees cooler, but, is that really going to make your system run faster?

Edited by Alex - 25 Sep 2007 at 1:41am

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 2:16am
The lower temp won't make the cpu run any faster, but being slightly cooler and requiring less power will give you a slightly higher OC, but im preaching to the choir here! Tongue I honestly don't mind at all which revision I get, just hoping for the revamped G0. And since I wont be OC'ing to anywhere even close to 3.4ghz+ its kind of a moot point for me.

I wasnt aware Intel were still actually manufacturing the B3's. I was hoping with the huge price cuts on Intels quads would have caused alot of people to buy up the B3's, but if Intel is still crankin' em out I guess that wont happen for awhile! If im not holding out for the Penryn im certainly not delaying for the slight improvement of the G0 revision lol. Im jumping in headfirst...and happy with my choice knowing that everything in my case will be obsolete in 6 months anyway! LOL

Edited by donkeypunch - 25 Sep 2007 at 2:28am
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Sep 2007 at 3:41am
Originally posted by Alex

I have to apologize about the G0 and B3 stepping request. They weren't as easy as we thought. It was being problematic in helping us thoroughly testing all of the machines during the back to school season.

Commast, we were working long and hard for everyone that wanted a G0 processor. However taking the systems apart every time, and restocking the B3 processors and obtaining a new replacements were a very time consuming task for us. We had to be fair to all of our customers.

You are right that we should have contacted you about this, I am sorry about that, it's just that we didn't have a system in place to keep track of special requests such as yours. We did try our best. A special stepping request was a first, and I am not sure if other system integrators would even try to check core revisions on systems.

As from Intel, they stated the G0 and B3 are both being produced still. Our stock is always fresh, we don't stock up on processors, that's one of the ways we can pass the savings to our valued customers.

From our personal experience, both of the B3 and G0 processors are perfectly fine. The G0 might be only a small degrees cooler, but, is that really going to make your system run faster?

You are right as usual Smile Thanks for the update. So far my system ran beautifully. Didn't have any problems at all. It's just a little noisy but that's expected with all the new hardware. I was planning to put in another 120mm fan on top but i haven't seen the need for it yet since my system doesn't seem to give out that much heat. I am still amazed at how cool it is even after a couple hours.

Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 1:50am

We have to balance noise, heat, and stability somewhere. On air cooled machines (especial overclocked quad-core processors) we have to make sure everything is nice and cool, even if we have to sacrifice a little bit of fan noise. But, hey, we aren't talking about a blow dryer, or anything. It's not very loud, it's like a car, you know when she's on Tongue.

Anyone reading this, if noise is a concern for you, please go with our high-end liquid cooling system to combat the heat output from overclocked quad-core processors.

Edited by Alex - 26 Sep 2007 at 1:50am

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 2:30am
Well, I just got my spiffy new monitor in today. Went with the 245b 24" Samsung. I think it looks great cosmetically. I was comming from a 19" Samsung so the picture quality looks about the same, just HUGE. My 5.1 setup also came in today, Logitech Z-5300e's.  They sound great, short rear cables though. And I been tinkering with this new Logitech Wave keyboard. I love the feel of it and cant wait to try it with Vista, they're supposed to go together like peanut butter N Jelly! I just need something to hook up all the new toys to!

I cant wait to see this CM 830 case  in person. Looks awesome from the pics!  Does that come standard with LED's in the front or was that added later? Also wondering if it comes with wheels. I tried googling it but it appears there's a few versions of the 830, some come with wheels, some don't. I was also wondering how many fans get put into the case? I see it has room for 9 (sheesh), but was wondering since you guys and gals put so many systems together if you have an optimal setup for fan placement? That really has to be one of the nicest cases I've ever seen...is having LED fans an option? Cool

Did you OC your setup commast? If so what were you able to manage on air? Do you monitor the heat? Thats actually where i'd like a fan is right on the top to suck out all the hot rising air!  Ah well, off to bed. Nuke
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 4:05am

Did you OC your setup commast? If so what were you able to manage on air? Do you monitor the heat? Thats actually where i'd like a fan is right on the top to suck out all the hot rising air!  Ah well, off to bed. Nuke

No, i didn't since DS already OC the CPU. I was thinking about OC the video card but decided against it since the performance gain is minimal and i don't want to increase the heat output. My system is running cool but i may install a top fan sometimes, it doesn't hurt to have more fans.Smile
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Sep 2007 at 11:55pm
The ULTRA series case does have front LED's (from the bottom hard drive cage area). We can get you wheels if you want, just cover shipping if your system has not already shipped? The case comes with a rear 120mm and front 120mm fan as a default setup. We can install four side panel fans and a top fan if you wish, but, you don't really need them unless you are going with a massive high-end air cooled setup. Regular non LED fans are $10 a fan, and $15 for the LED type.

Well, I just got my spiffy new monitor in today. Went with the 245b 24" Samsung. I think it looks great cosmetically. I was comming from a 19" Samsung so the picture quality looks about the same, just HUGE. My 5.1 setup also came in today, Logitech Z-5300e's.  They sound great, short rear cables though. And I been tinkering with this new Logitech Wave keyboard. I love the feel of it and cant wait to try it with Vista, they're supposed to go together like peanut butter N Jelly! I just need something to hook up all the new toys to!

I cant wait to see this CM 830 case  in person. Looks awesome from the pics!  Does that come standard with LED's in the front or was that added later? Also wondering if it comes with wheels. I tried googling it but it appears there's a few versions of the 830, some come with wheels, some don't. I was also wondering how many fans get put into the case? I see it has room for 9 (sheesh), but was wondering since you guys and gals put so many systems together if you have an optimal setup for fan placement? That really has to be one of the nicest cases I've ever seen...is having LED fans an option? Cool

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 12:40am

Thanks for the info Alex. From some pictures I can see lights but wasnt sure if they were from fans or whatnot. Theres no need to throw in the wheels, hopefully I wont be moving it around too much, just thought that it was a nice touch, just wasnt sure if that was standard.

As for the fans, I only asked because I was reading in the Air Cooled Stage 2 description where it mentioned that a tech would install fans using the best setup they thought possible for effectiveness/quietness. I was just wondering what the 'optimal' setup was for the CM830, which you answered for me! Thanks
howser View Drop Down
  Quote howser Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 10:45am
So is it possible that we may get the GO Step Vs if we order... Is it a crapshoot?

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 5:45pm
Sounds like a crap shoot if Intel is still producing and shipping the G3. I would imagine it would cause problems and delays to take special requests and then wait for a G0 revision to arrive. I personally wouldn't want to wait, but perhaps if you were willing they could accommodate your request. Hopefully someone from DS can elaborate on how that works.

I would think "maybe" if the G0 supply is limited it would be reserved for the systems that are getting the super duper elite omega prime ultra twister boost overclocking feature LOL as those are the ones that would benifit the most. Time will tell. Smile

On a side note, instead of getting an aftermarket VGA fan for my old and crusty Radeon 9800 Pro in my Dell from Hell, I just downgraded and purchased a Sapphire 9600 Pro for $50. Popped it in and the beast is running smooth again. Didn't want to chance getting a replacement fan since the 9800 looked a bit scorched! Now once the Digital Storm Beast arrives I can throw this POS Dell in the basement and hookit up to the network for data storage.

tummy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tummy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 8:39pm
Is there a price difference on the GO vs the B3?  Because I heard of people going to places and asking for the GO, and being charged much more for it because they had to open the box....  But otherwise would there be any way to tell? 

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 8:45pm
They are only charging a premium, supply and demand. You can tell from the markings on the outside of the box, so theres no need to open it.

Old B3-PROD CODE : BX80562Q6600 SL9UM
New G0-PROD CODE : BX80562Q6600 SLACR

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/2905/imgp04631ok3.jpg

Also, heres a cool article about some pricing info on the G0's and B3's. Also how they got their Q6600 to 4Ghz!  NukeLOLNuke

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1159/1/page_1_introduction/index.html

Edited by donkeypunch - 27 Sep 2007 at 8:53pm
commast View Drop Down
  Quote commast Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Sep 2007 at 9:38pm
If you don't have the box or can't see the CPU, there's another way to tell if you have the B3 or G0 stepping : Use either CPU-Z or Sisoft Sandra.
tummy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote tummy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 8:14am
I  was planning on using Sandra, but dont like the idea that DS would be giving others the GO and me the B3 because of the amount I spent...  As in a previous post by one of the DS guys, they dont seem to be practicing this.... 

Quote donkeypunch Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 28 Sep 2007 at 1:11pm
^ True, I guess that would be kind of selective. So in reality I guess it is just random until the B3's stop being produced. Im not big on the companies that are charging a premium on something that doesnt cost any more to manufacture, but welcome to the world of business I guess. Its just the timing that we purchased our rigs, its at a time when theres two versions out there, and both have to sell. If we waited a month, which people would have the option to do if they knew about the different revisions before building their computer, then I think the chances would be much higher to get the G0.

I think everyone would prefer the G0, theres no reason NOT to want it, but the difference isnt so significant that im going to delay my order. And I only see a very few stores that are separating the G0's from the B3's, and they're charging a premium.  And from the few online cpu builders I don't recall seeing any of them specifically touting the G0 revision-seems like its still a mixed bag until Intel stops making the G3's.

Its funny, I was readin an article which I thought was very true. It was about OC'ing and how back in the day it was looked down upon, and would void any warranty. Now its the complete opposite and companies pretty much encourage OC'ing to an extent, and it would still be under warranty. Even large companies like Dell are now selling factory OC'ed machines!

So thats what got me to thinking, how does the warranty work with DS? If someone is new to OC'ing and fries something, does it get replaced? Is their a limit or percent people can OC their components and still be covered under warranty, or does it depend on the OEM of the particular component?

And one last question. I see in the configuration options for only 2 hard drives. Right now I have a 150GB raptor with Vista for my main drive, and a 500GB storage drive. Would it be possible to add a third HD and WinXP, or would it run just as good to partition the Raptor and put both OS's on that?

Edited by donkeypunch - 29 Sep 2007 at 12:27am
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 01 Oct 2007 at 12:00am

You can partition it, that would be perfectly fine. If you install Windows on a totally separate drive, it would be better in theory.

If your budget allows, we can install a third hard drive for you. Simply ask for this in the order comments section which will be at the last stage of checkout.
 Post Reply Post Reply