FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Memory upgrade to old system?

Post Date: 2019-01-29

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
KJG67 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote KJG67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Memory upgrade to old system?
    Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:01pm
Hi all - long time since I've been on the boards. I'm wondering if anyone can let me know if I can upgrade my memory for the system I bought many years ago. And if so, suggestions on what to get? My system is running OK overall considering it was built in 2011. With RAM cheap, it might be worth updating?

Note I've never updated BIOS, as it's not something I'm comfortable doing/crashing everything.

i7 2600K 3.40GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V PRO 8GB DDR3 1600MHz

Thanks

Edited by KJG67 - 29 Jan 2019 at 3:03pm
942 HAF X / i7 2600K 3.40GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V PRO 8GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Cert /1TB WD Caviar-Black / 1x GeForce GTX 950 / CORSAIR HX850i
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:11pm
For starters updating your BIOS won't improve your system one bit. You are running some pretty slow DDR3. You could get a higher clock speeds and go 16gb but honestly at 8 years old and judging by the signature guessing that is the full current specs? Looks like a whole new system is due imo. Nothing even uses PhysX anymore... You would notice a dramatic improvement. Depending on what your usage for it is depends on how urgent an upgrade is needed. Personally I would say with your build the only performance increases you could reasonably due with minimal part swap is as follows, SSD (Solid State Drive), and a new graphics card. Ram upgrade might give some improvement but I'd sooner swap the Mobo, CPU, and then be able to use DDR4 (since a new motherboard) versus upgrading existing an existing DDR3 kit at this point.
KJG67 View Drop Down

Quote KJG67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 3:22pm
My bad - I have a GTX 950 and updated the power supply CORSAIR HX850i. <updated from original reply>

I know the BIOS won't impact that, however wasn't sure if mattered with newer RAM. Obviously this is not my area of expertise :)

I agree, a new system would be ideal and I'm not desperate for one yet. Just looking for any inexpensive bridge to get me another year or two.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll update my sig too.

Edited by KJG67 - 29 Jan 2019 at 3:26pm
942 HAF X / i7 2600K 3.40GHz / ASUS P8Z68-V PRO 8GB DDR3 1600MHz DS Cert /1TB WD Caviar-Black / 1x GeForce GTX 950 / CORSAIR HX850i
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 7:02am
Well DDR3 ram you get no extra bang for higher clocks sadly (1600mhz is the sweetspot for DDR3). If you don't have one a SSD is gonna be about it on upgrades there. You need a new motherboard to run DDR4.
The graphics card is better than previous so kudos there and your power supply has tons of overhead too if you went ultra high end graphics card but CPU bottlenecks exist.
KJG67 View Drop Down

Quote KJG67 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 9:05am
Thanks both - greatly appreciate your feedback! Looks like I'll just sit tight for now and start saving!
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 11:01am
Cheers
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 30 Jan 2019 at 10:34pm
Hey KJG67...I'll give you my two cents on this....

What do you use that 2011 DS Ode Z-68 rig for these days? You said it still runs well.....but obviously you wouldn't mind a 2019 performance refresh if it's reasonable. Think I understand...

You'll prob already be planning on a new DS rig when budget allows anyway. Lol..aren't we all?
Now clearly, as Psyoshi pointed out, a new 2019 DS rig would be the most efficient move toward current spec systems going forward. However, I still run a 2011 DS ODE P-67 Sabertooth rig, albeit with 16gb DDR3 on board. I upgraded that Ode a year ago to an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3, and just paired it with a new Dell U3417W monitor running 3440x1440p...That Ode continues to work & play very very well ... I suspect a similar video card upgrade to a GTX 1000 series card might be the most noticeable & reasonable Ode refresh for you. Might keep you happier a bit further down the road. Nope head to head it would not benchmark as well against a brand new DS rig, but who really cares about that...?
My 2011 ODE still games very well on most games using high settings and in some things on Ultra settings....and I expect I get to continue using it until something major going out forces a full redo.    

Unless you are doing Video encoding or CAD stuff, I seriously doubt you would even detect much difference running DDR3 Ram vs DDR4 Ram. While using games or programs look at the Windows Task Manager and look at percentage RAM in use. If by chance you are using up most of your RAM capacity doing what you do now, then upgrading to 16GB of DDR3 might help your games or programs run a bit snappier than they do on the minimum 8GB...and upgrading RAM is very easy to do as long as you get RAM with exactly the same speed & timings as you are running now....but the most noticeable performance upgrade for an older mobo rig like yours would be a video card upgrade. 1080 Ti are harder to find now, but 1080, 1070 TI or 1070 would all be a bump up in GPU hierarchy over the 950 and increase onboard VRAM to 8GB.

Hope that gets you thinking again...lol...
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 12:32pm
Hose brings up a good point and in case you are curious here is a wonder chart of some benchmarks running a 1080ti and various Intel CPUs to help in your decisions.

THAT CHART

Edited by Psyoshi - 31 Jan 2019 at 12:33pm
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 1:38pm
Cool TechSpot workup on the 2600k 1080 Ti combination...!
The workhorse overclocked i7 2600k continues to be very useful for a couple more years....
Psyoshi View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Psyoshi Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 6:16pm
I was very surprised but that is single core performance testing too in many cases. Impressive none the least. When you start getting into multitasking though you might see the limits since it is a 4/8 structure and does use a lot of power (95w) for that core count. Food for thought and your exact needs may vary or budget. For about $600 you could rebuild the guts (CPU/Mobo/ram) and then pick up a rtx2060 or 1070ti for about $350, the 2060 is stronger but pricing may vary between the two. Your PC would be modernized for way less than a whole new rig if you are willing to do the work since all your other parts are more than fine.
BTW what exactly are your uses/goals/budget? Can probably give you some more customized info if so. I'm a master googler lmao.
 Post Reply Post Reply