Messed up my dual boot

Post Date: 2008-06-23

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Messed up my dual boot
    Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 10:55am
I made another post as well here: http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2956

But long story short... I reinstalled windows on one HD and when I restarted the comp, the dual boot was no longer avail, it went straight to the XP boot only with no options.

From there, it got worse.. I deleted my raid setup and now my computer isn't reading either HDD on startup (Although they are in BIOS as Sata 3 and Sata 4)  ... when I try to reinstall XP on 1 drive again, it says I'd have to format the partition... but I don't want to lose what's on my comp.     When I try to set up a raid again... it says doing so will overwrite other information... does that mean I'll lose all of my data?

Not sure how to get my comp to register them again... my comp doesn't even factor them in... it goes straight to a Network boot which is an infinite loop of chaos... and/or CDROM ...doesn't see an HDD at all.

I reset the BIOS to default and that seemed to do nothing...if not make it worse... any suggestions aside from calling DStorm?
Q9450 2.66 GHZ, 1333fsb/12mb
No overclockage yet!
780i core 2 quad
4gb DDR 2 @ 1066mhz
8800GTX @ 768mb

Sblaster Xfi Xtreme
!ender_ View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote !ender_ Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 10:58am
no need to post twice, this is technical assistance for sure
Kain View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote Kain Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 11:18am
Okay thanks... hopefully I can get ahold of them when I get home at 6 east ... and hopefully they'll be willing to work with me over the phone ... yikes I hate this stuff.
Q9450 2.66 GHZ, 1333fsb/12mb
No overclockage yet!
780i core 2 quad
4gb DDR 2 @ 1066mhz
8800GTX @ 768mb

Sblaster Xfi Xtreme
Randy View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 3:35pm
Hi, I did post a possible fix on this thread. http://www.digitalstormonline.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=2956

But here is exactly what I posted on that thread. This should help you in recovering the boot manager.

"How to dual boot Vista and XP (with Vista installed first) -- the step-by-step guide with screenshots"

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_vista_and_xp_with_vista_installed_first__the_stepbystep_guide.htm?page=4

Intel E6750
2gbs 800mhz Ram
8800 gt oc 660/1900
320gb hd + 500gb
Dual boot - Ubuntu 8.04, Xfce, Compis-fusion & Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Randy View Drop Down

Digital Storm Customer Service

Quote Randy Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 3:42pm
Also for The xp installer to recognize the harddrives in raid. You will have to create a raid driver disc on a floppy :(. I know this sucks. But to do that you have to install a floppy drive into the system. Turn the floppy on in the bios. Then you boot off the motherboard cd in your DSO binder. It should give you a few options. One should be create a raid driver disc.  Something on the lines of that. Just follow the instructions it gives you. Once you have made  the driver disc. You would boot off the windows xp cd. Pay attention. It will ask you if you would like to load Raid drivers. Press F6 i believe. Press that and load the drivers off the floppy disk. After that is done. When you go to select your harddrives in the windows installation it should see the raided hardrives. Well I hope this helps.

Randy - DSO
Intel E6750
2gbs 800mhz Ram
8800 gt oc 660/1900
320gb hd + 500gb
Dual boot - Ubuntu 8.04, Xfce, Compis-fusion & Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 Post Reply Post Reply