FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mid Range Gaming Config

Post Date: 2012-02-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kael View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Mid Range Gaming Config
    Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 12:12pm

I'm looking to get a decent computer that can play most things on high but is still cheap enough to not break the bank. I currently have a $2500 budget and I think this is a decent build but I am concerned about a few things.

Spec Ticket Number: 655325

Specifications:

Chassis Model:  Cooler Master 942 HAF X Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish

Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)

System Memory: 16GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)

Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)

Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)

Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x) Optical 

Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 1.5GB (Includes PhysX) (Overclocked EVGA Edition)

Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance

Boost Processor: Standard Intel Turbo Boost 2.0 Automatic Overclocking Boost  OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

From what I have seen the P67 motherboard is one of the better ones and I don't seem to have any need for the extra features of the Z68 but is there a better one in the same category?

2. Digital Storm RAM, is it just as good as the name brands, reliable long life? The specs look about the same and I have seen quite a few people recommending it. If I decide to upgrade the RAM will the Noctua NH-D14 interfere with the heat dispersion boards that are on a lot of the newer enthusiast RAM? Eight GB or 16GB?

3. I calculated the power needs and it would seem that the max I would need is 700W but I'm wondering if its just better to go a little higher for future upgrades.

4. Is there really too much of a difference between the GTX 570 and the GTX 580 to make it worth the extra price? I see about 15% difference on the specs and benchmarks but if i'm just going to be playing things like Skyrim will it make that big of a difference? I'll be using a 24" at 1920x1080.

5. I'm a little confused on the case, in the description it says it has space for 7 different fans but what does it actually come with? How do I add extra fans, I'm not seeing an option to configure it with a specific amount?

6. Is the Noctua needed especially with a case like this and if I'm not planning on overclocking anything for at least a year?

7. This system seems like it will be viable for at least a couple of years, the new Ivy Bridge CPU's don't seem that much better for gaming and I don't see a major difference in GPU's and RAM coming any time soon but I could be wrong, that's why I'm here.

I appreciate any input and look forward to purchasing from Digital Storm, I chose to go with them because the quality, support, and community all seem top notch.

Edited by Kael - 14 Feb 2012 at 1:53pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 12:36pm
Hi kael

You build looks great. Big%20Smile Just a  couple of minor tweeks ...

8Gb of 1600 Mhz ram is all gaming can use. Ds ram is just as good as any.

I would change the D14 cooler to A70.  Cheaper, not as big and is all you need.  The D14 is a little quieter but A70 is still quiet.  D14 is tops but the A70  will do just fine if $$$ is tight.

As far as interfering with ram..It shouldn't if installed right.  If it does DS will change to what works.

750HX ps is ideal for your build...it's great for single gpu and the HX line has 7 year warranty that tells of its quality. 

Change 580 to 570.  The difference in gaming isn't worth the extra cost.  If it can't run smooth with 570, then 580 won't seem any better.  

You did not mention monitor size or resolution, but if you keep 23" monitor or less and 1920x1050 resolution or less and play on high not Max settings the single gpu is great.

Change to cpu overclock stage two....the i7-2600k is made for it and the A70 cooler will keep it safe.

The HafX case comes with a front 230mm, top 200mm, back 140mm and side 200mm fans.  We usually recommend the customer ask DS to add another 200mm fan to top.  That's all you need.  When they say 7 fans I guess they mean swapping larger for smaller fans which isn't a good idea.

Your pc case, cpu, mobo, ps, SSD weere right on.

Hope this helps and Have FunBig%20SmileBig%20Smile

One more thing...if you did want sli, 2 gpu, then for about the same $$$ you could look at ODE 3, but your ps, cooler and case are better.  Just a thought.

Edited by bprat22 - 14 Feb 2012 at 12:40pm
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:31pm
Thanks for the quick response bprat22.

The resolution i'll be at is 1920x1080 but from what I see for specs on the gtx 570  2.5GB card it should support it just fine.

Thanks for the suggestion on the ODE system but it seems like the 942 HAF X will have more room in the future to upgrade with and I also can't stand the ODE white case, if I have to stare at it for the next 5 years I don't mind sacrificing a little bit of extra cash. Hahaha

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 1:41pm
Yep, the HafX case is awesome.   This is a real nice rig with the ability to handle any future gpu.    I have the 600t, ODE, case, and like it, but do wish I had the HafX .     Best of luck and happy gaming
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 8:45am
Hi Kael,

I have made a few changes to your build to make it more expandable. The main think I did was change the PS to the 1050 so you are good to go with SLI GPUs. You mentioned future upgrades and the bigger PS will give you more flexibility. That is only important if you are considering SLI operation. I added a 1TB HDD. You don't want to store data on your SSD. The SSD should be used for your operating system and your games. The 1TB is probably larger than you need but it has good performance.

One thing to consider is the 5xx series of GPUs are nearing the end of their life cycle. Nvidia will have new GPUs out in April. ATI all ready has a new model out. If you are considering SLI operation in the future I would go SLI with this purchase.

Frank

Configuration: 655678 Cost: $2409

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: Intel Core i7 2600K 3.40GHz (Unlocked CPU for Extreme Overclocking) (Quad Core)
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Intel P67 Chipset) (New & Improved B3 Revision Without SATA 3G Issue)
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX (Dual/Triple/Quad SLI Compatible)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (160GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 320 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (1TB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Hard Drive Set 3: Backup\Misc.: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Optical Drive 2: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-BR)
Add-on Card: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Corsair A70 Dual 120mm Fans High Performance Cooler
H20 Tube Color:- Not Applicable, I do not have a FrostChill or Sub-Zero LCS Cooling System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: - No Thanks
Enhancements: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: - No Thanks
Boost Processor: Stage 2: Overclock CPU 4.5GHz to 4.8GHz (Requires Pro or Deluxe Series Motherboard)
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: Windows Recovery Toolkit (Bundled with Windows 7 CD)
Virus Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Game: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
External Storage: - No Thanks
Exclusive T-Shirt: FREE: Digital Storm T-Shirt - Black (Medium)
Priority Build: - No Thanks, Ship Within 5-15 Business Days After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Customer Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty

Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:09am
Yeah, I was definitely thinking about making the power supply bigger for SLI in the future. The 1TB HDD I don't need though, the four other computers I already own and server i'm building can hold all of that, this PC is just for gaming and nothing else. Hahaha

I'm a little iffy on the stage 2 overclock, I have heard of issues with the voltage going over what it should on some of the higher OC. I know the 2600K was built for it but I'm weird about these things.

Edited by Kael - 16 Feb 2012 at 10:12am
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 1:01pm
Hi Kael,

You don't have to worry about the 2600K and the stage 2 OC. With the HAF-X case and the A-70 cooler the 2600K does stage 2 OC with ease. As long as you request DS not to exceed a Vcore of 1.4 you are good to go. The 2600K is a terrific CPU for gamers.

Frank
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm
Just an update, I have changed a few items and will be ordering within the next week or two. So excited, can't wait to get this thing up and running!

Chassis Model: Special Deal Hot Seller - Cooler Master 942 HAF X
System Memory: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz Digital Storm Certified Performance Series (Highly Recommended) (Hand Tested)
Power Supply: 750W Corsair HX (Dual SLI Compatible)
Hard Drive Set 1: Operating System: 1x (180GB Solid State (By: Intel) (Model: 520 Series)
Set 1 Raid Options: - No Thanks
Hard Drive Set 2: Multimedia\Data: 1x (500GB Western Digital Caviar (7200 RPM) (Model: Black Edition)
Optical Drive 1: DVD-R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 24x / CD-Writer 48x)
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: 1x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 2.5GB (Includes PhysX) (EVGA 025-P3-1579-BR)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Extreme Cooling: AIR: Stage 2: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 Extreme Performance  System Selected
Chassis Airflow: Standard Factory Chassis Fans
Internal Lighting: Internal Chassis Lighting System (Blue)
Boost Processor: Stage 1: Overclock CPU 4.0GHz to 4.4GHz
Boost Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Boost Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Boost OS: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit Edition)

I know several people have recommended going with the stage 2 OC but I will be having heat issues in my room so I don't think I should, even with the cooling options I have.

I was also curious how much it would cost to get the special edition Haf X 942 blue case from Newegg. Does DS charge you the cost that it took to get it plus the amount for the current case or just the difference for shipping the new case to them?

Edited by Kael - 12 Mar 2012 at 2:59pm
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 3:04pm
Hi Kael......Very nice build.      The 750hx is great for single gtx 570, but not for sli.    If sli, 2 gpu, isn't a consideration than good to go.    The single 570 will allow great gaming on medium to high with your resolution.     I think you order and send them from newegg,etc. the case you want and they use it in assembly, no extra charge, but I'm m not 100% sure.   Ask them would be best.        Good luck
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:20am
Wasn't planning on using SLI at all, at least in the near future. The GTX 570 2.5GB should last me till the end of the year and by then the better Kepler GPU's should be out.

I don't play a lot of the higher end graphically intensive games for the most part, the only things on my radar at the moment are Tribes:Ascend, Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, Darksiders 2, and Skyrim when a few more MOD's come out for it.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:26am
The gtx 570 2.5gb, even the 1.2 gb, will give you gaming on ultra settings with Skyrim, with your 24" monitor. 

If the rumors are true, and who knows, one new card, gtx 680 I think,  will perform better than sli 580's.  All speculation...Time will tell.

Edited by bprat22 - 13 Mar 2012 at 7:27am
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 7:41am
It is supposed to be up to a 50% increase of just raw processing power. With FXAA being a lot easier on the GPU's we should see some decent improvements.
kenage View Drop Down

Quote kenage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 12:35pm
I read the same review as bpratt I think, and with FXAA one of the Kepler cards (not necessarily the 680) can perform at the same level as dual SLI 570s with a third for PhysX processing. This implies the 6xx series can be almost 3x as powerful as the 570, but I don't recall seeing the system specs the 570s were in, so there could be other stuff going on behind the scenes that we don't know of (e.g. the SLI 570s running x8 x4 and the PhysX 570 being x4 as well).

The Kepler cards are also rumored to be faster than the Southern Islands cards from AMD, including the Tahiti ones (that's the 7950 and 7970). We'll find out next week, I believe, but for now the rumor mill is all there is to go on.
Regardless, expect to pony up for the performance, as always.
— Kenage
MCTS, MCP, Security+, Network+
Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing entirely.
Avelict View Drop Down

Quote Avelict Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:00pm
My only advice is to stay away from the 79xx and 77xx cards AMD cards, as the dollar/performance ratio is terrible for both.

I didn't read the whole thread, but lemme guess, bprat recommended the HAF X case?
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 5:23am
Not at all actually, I had chosen it because of the great things I had heard elsewhere about airflow. I will not touch water cooling and the case looks pretty nice, especially the blue special edition.
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:44pm
So I finally purchased my system, it is pretty much what was specified out above and its already at Stage 3.

I was wondering though, the gentleman that I spoke with said that there vendors discontinued the P8P67 Deluxe and could no longer get it, I had to settle for a P8Z68-V Pro but the P8P67 is still available on the site. This just an error with the site?

Other than that the tech has been really helpful and the wait is already killing me!
Alex View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Digital Storm Supervisor

Quote Alex Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:57pm
We're going to be removing it soon. The Z68 chip-set is newer and better anyways, it's a good upgrade!
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 1:58pm
Congrats.      First I heard of the p8p67 deluxe no longer available.    But no big deal. It is a great mobo.     DS will have to update the config builder for that and the A70cooler.     Sounds like they're busy.
Kael View Drop Down

Quote Kael Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:01pm
That's what I was told, its just once you have a specific setup in mind it sucks to get it changed around but it's understandable.

At least I get another t-shirt out of the deal which is great! Big%20Smile

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 02 Apr 2012 at 2:16pm
A newer motherboard AND another t-shirt?   Way to go
 Post Reply Post Reply