FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mobo', SSD, TRIM, RAID confusion...

Post Date: 2010-03-05

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
maxage View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote maxage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Mobo', SSD, TRIM, RAID confusion...
    Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 12:40pm
Hi all,

I posted a similar question buried in my config help request thread but not sure people will see it, so reposting here.

Basically, I'm trying to see which mobo's will support this config:

HD1: 160G Intel SSD w/TRIM
HD2: 2x1Tb HDD in RAID 1
HD3: 1x1Tb HDD

I know there have been issues reported with some mobos (like the ASUS P6T) not being able to do an SSD w/TRIM when there are other disks in RAID setup. Unfortunately, I don't know much about how TRIM and RAID and AHCI interact or if you can mix AHCI for only some disks for example.

I'm considering the EVGA X58 LE.

Thanks all,
Maxage

Edited by maxage - 05 Mar 2010 at 6:55pm
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 7:28pm
email DS and ask them, not sure, if I remember correctly justin said it is possible but to be sure what DS can do, its best you ask DS, and please when you find the answer then let us k now also, thank you.

email them here [email protected]
maxage View Drop Down

Quote maxage Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 3:48pm
Yup. I sent an email to Sarah who has answered some of my other questions (thanks Sarah) and will let you all know what I hear back.
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 9:54am
When you enable RAID in the BIOS it will enable AHCI, lots of ways around this, but then again there always is for everything. lol

I think people really over exaggerate TRIM, it it a long ways away from being that useful, a long ways a way.

So get what you want, if it does not allow TRIM, it is not a big deal, use secure erase, or remove free space with CC. Once TRIM, or something better, gets its issues worked out, it will be a nice feature, but SSD's as a whole are just in their infancy stage, and while they are a great enhancement to PC's, they still are stupid expensive, and have quirks. 2011 will see some decent SSD changes, but not till 2012-2013 will they start to perform, increase durability, have the major issues started to get worked out, and become a lot better value.
Grandpa View Drop Down

Quote Grandpa Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 10:57am
I have been looking into this and read in another thread somewhere that in order for RAID to work, as mentioned, with AHCI: it must be enabled at the time of OS install.  So, enabling RAID after the OS has been installed will kill AHCI and former AHCI disks will change to IDE.

Justin:  not my knowledge or experience, just something I read somewhere.

Which brings the question, if this is true.  Why not enable RAID on every machine made whether there is an array or not?  That way an array can be added later if desired and the AHCI benefits would still be there.

Edited by Grandpa - 07 Mar 2010 at 11:01am
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 11:15am
well, when I said there are ways around it, I was referring to hardware RAID instead of software.
 Ouch

Post Reply Post Reply