FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Modest BF Build

Post Date: 2012-02-25

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BluStat View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BluStat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Modest BF Build
    Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:03am
Budget:
As low as I can get without giving up much when it comes to future upgrades.

Expectations:
To run BF3 with most settings on High using a 1680 x 1050 LG IPS, keeping the CPU running in its safe thermal limits for long-life, and the ability to upgrade my GPU later. Not looking to do any SLI setups.

Usage:
Like to be able to record live game footage. Not mandatory though.

Saved Ticket #: 659465
Saved Ticket #: 659337

I have two builds, both have the same Case and PS. The MB's and Fan are the difference. I already have a Video Card: EVGA GTX 560 SC FTW.

My hardest choice is the MB.

Please have a look and tell me what you think.

Thanks.
Curtis
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 9:45am
Hi BluStat,

I like the 659337 build better. A better Mobo and CPU cooler. You really need to move up to a stage 1 or 2 OC. This CPU and cooler can handle it with very long life.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 25 Feb 2012 at 9:46am
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 10:27am
There are also much better case options. The HAF X is only $18 more and the CM 690 II Advanced is actually $96 less. Both of those cases are a much better choice then the 650D in terms of performance and temps.

BluStat View Drop Down

Quote BluStat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 8:36am
Thanks for these replies.

FrankW- What make the P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3 a better MB compared to P8Z68-V LE?
I know that the …V Pro/Gen 3 is PCIe 3.0 ready but don't know what that means in regards to future upgrades. Will new NVidia GPU be using this?

The LE version will save about $80.

jmaster299- I've check-out the CM690 on NewEgg. I just don't like plastic cases and LED lighting. The 650d is all metal.

Thanks
Curtis
jmaster299 View Drop Down

Quote jmaster299 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 9:04am
You are sacrificing temps and performance only for looks, and that is a very bad idea. If you don't like the 690 then consider the HAF X. It's all metal like you want is is a bazillion times better in terms of cooling then the 650D.

With the 650D you have no direct cooling on your GPU, which will make your GPU run hotter which in turn makes the entire system run hotter. Also the HAF X has two USB 3.0 ports on the front of the case and it comes stock with the adapter needed to connect those to the USB 3.0 mid-board connection on your motherboard.

All of those ASUS mobos you are looking at have the USB 3.0 mid-board connection, so it just goes to waste in a case that does not have any front panel USB 3.0 ports.

The HAF X is a better case in every possible aspect over the 650D and it only costs $18 more. Don't get a sealed up case like the 650D unless you are going to do 100% LC for the entire system (CPU, MOBO Chipset, GPUs).

bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 7:55am
Hi BluStat.   the Pro mobo allows you to go sli and to overclock to stage 2.  If you don't want sli or oc stage 2 now or in the future than the LE will save aya some $$$.

Mobo selection is a very individual thing.  Basically compare features at their website and see waht you do and don't need.

Frank is right...at least go stage 1 oc if you can,  The cpu and cooler are made for it. 

Also, the A70 cooler has been dropped by DS.  Corsair has stopped them in favor of their H series cooler.  You'd need the D14, H80, or if no oc'ing the A50.

Hope that helps.

Edited by bprat22 - 27 Feb 2012 at 8:01am
 Post Reply Post Reply