FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor: Is it worth it to wait for HDMI 2.1?

Post Date: 2020-10-07

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
futurehunter2010 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote futurehunter2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor: Is it worth it to wait for HDMI 2.1?
    Posted: 07 Oct 2020 at 1:24pm
Hello All!

I am new to pc gaming and the only screen I currently have is my smart TV which while a 4k is a few years old and I would have to try and find the model for any additional specs. I got it almost 2 years ago. I have been using it for both console gaming and video streaming.

However going on to PC and the research that went with that everything I have read points to monitors being better since they are built knowing it will be reacting to live input by a person. I am also getting a PS5 because Sony does exclusives that do not come to PC and also games that do come to PC but do not work correctly on PC.
Now both the PS5 and Nvidia 3080 FE GPU are HDMI 2.1 compliant from everthing I have seen. So that leads to the question: How long do you think it will be until HDMI 2.1 monitor is readily available (I know some are already advertising a 2020 holiday release, but who knows how that will go and how good the monitors will be)?
ASUS says they will be making HDMI 2.1 monitors but I am not sure what the price will be since everytime I try to search I try leads to a monitor with only HDMI 2.0.
Eve Spectrum is has "reservations" for HDMI 2.1 monitors that require a $100 reservation fee. The current advertised price for the 27 in. 4k 144Hz monitor (HDMI 2.1) is $629. This company seems to have burnt costumers in the past with not delivering products from what I am seeing online. That combined with the price makes it a "to good to be true" scenario which will turn out to be a scam of some kind.

So basically I am wondering if I should wait because HDMI 2.1 will become more available in monitors within the coming year (and just use my TV in the meantime) or just look into getting a monitor now since it will be awhile before HDMI 2.1 really comes out. I do want to mostly game in 4k, kinda the reason I sprung for the 3080 FE, but I know I could just go down on the resolution for higher fps with a good monitor for anything competitive were fps really matters.

Any info, advise, or thoughts on this is very welcomed. I am just really trying to avoid buying a higher end (expensive) monitor only to have a next generation of HDMI to come out soon after and cause regrets since price differences seem very up in the air right now.

Sorry for the long slightly ranting post!

Edited by futurehunter2010 - 07 Oct 2020 at 1:25pm
Just ordered my first custom PC!
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 6:06am
IMHO, you need to wait on some reliable gaming benchmarks on the 3080. (If they're out, great, IDK.) My concern is you blow a wad of $$ on a 2.1 monitor and find you should have a 3090 to take advantage of it. I think the only thing we're talking about is frame rates.
futurehunter2010 View Drop Down

Quote futurehunter2010 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Cretae

IMHO, you need to wait on some reliable gaming benchmarks on the 3080. (If they're out, great, IDK.) My concern is you blow a wad of $$ on a 2.1 monitor and find you should have a 3090 to take advantage of it. I think the only thing we're talking about is frame rates.

Yeah we are talking about fps for 4k. The 3080 is suppose to get higher than 60 fps for 4k but from what I have been reading you would need a HDMI 2.1 for the monitor to be able to properly display a high fps for 4k.
Just ordered my first custom PC!
 Post Reply Post Reply