FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor reccomendation

Post Date: 2017-02-18

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Retired USN CPO View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Retired USN CPO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor reccomendation
    Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:57am
Budget:
What ever meets my requirements without paying for something I'm not going to use.

Usage:
This will be the primary monitor of a dual monitor system. Main usage gaming, then internet surfing then actual productivity.

Background info to help you help me:
I'm purchasing a new system from DS. The appropriate specs are:

i7-7700K 4.2 GHz
32GB RAM
GTX 1060

What I'm coming from, (2.5 yr old system)
i7-4790k 4.0 GHz
16GB RAM
GTX 970

I went with the 1060 as it's a slight upgrade from what I have and I won't be paying for capability I won't be using such as VR, 4x resolution. I was happy with the 970 video card.

I don't play first person shooters because I'm not a PvP'er and don't care for games that are mainly PvP oriented. I also don't find any enjoyment in "twitch" gaming.

What do I play?
Armored Warfare (NOT WoT's)
World of Warships
Elder Scrolls
Bunches of games that don't require fancy 2016 graphics. I find that in most situations game play is sacrificed for "pretty" so I tend to stay with more strategy games.

Hope that helps you with the actual reason for the post. I'm looking for a great monitor to connect the 1060 to. I've done lots of research but there are simply too many choices and I'm hoping to get some feedback from those of you with experience in the arena.

I recently upgraded from an older Alienware to a C27F591. I like the size and the curved shape but there is just something about it that doesn't impress me. I don't even know what it is, but it seems it just isn't as good as presenting the data from the video card as the previous 7 yr old Alienware monitor.

I'm looking for a 1080p monitor with a refresh rate appropriate to what I'm using it for. Maybe in the 4-6ms area? Not really sure on this one as I'm not all that familiar with how this would impact the non-twitch games i play. I'd like to stay with the size and the curved shape however.

Any recommendations?
Be safe out there,
USN CPO
My first computer didn't have a hard drive. When I installed one, the conversation centered around if I REALLY needed all of that 40 Megs of storage.
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)

Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 4:05pm
Just wanted to answer your post so you know people still live here.   

Unfortunately, I haven't checked monitors in a few years so maybe others can chime in.

A little off topic and certainly not complaining, but why get a new rig ?   The new rig might give you 10-15% gaming over your present gtx970 and 4790k.   Nothing wrong or outdated with the old.   Of course new is always nice so enjoy it.

Retired USN CPO View Drop Down

Quote Retired USN CPO Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 7:31pm
Howdy bprat22:

Thank you for the reply. It seems that DS shuts down on the weekends and those of us who buy are playing with our toy so i didn't figure much of a response till Tuedsay.

Reason for replacement of the rig is this ones been pretty much a problem child for the past 8 months with one thing after another going wrong. Its started now where it wont stay connected to the net for more than 15 minutes and I've trouble shot it to the motherboard. Im pretty fed up so I'm pulling the trigger to get a slightly upgraded rig.

That one was the poster child for an extended warranty.

Be safe out there,
USN CPO
My first computer didn't have a hard drive. When I installed one, the conversation centered around if I REALLY needed all of that 40 Megs of storage.
 Post Reply Post Reply