FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor resolutions?

Post Date: 2010-02-17

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nick123 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 16 Feb 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 118
  Quote Nick123 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor resolutions?
    Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 9:57am
If a Monitor has HDMI capabilities, can it be a TV AND a computer monitor?

Is the 1900x1200 resolution a good resolution to play at?
Back to Top
user6895 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 15 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 111
  Quote user6895 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 2:15pm
I would assume you will need a TV card installed in your computer to receive over the air TV. If you are talking about hooking a PS3 up to the same monitor you use on your computer, that works just fine. I have a 1920x1200 rez monitor with a HDMI input and a DVI input. I have my PS3 connected to the HDMI and my computer connected to the DVI input, all I have to do is switch between the two to view what I want. As far as the 1900x1200 rez goes it is great for gaming, but you will need some computing horse power to get your frame rate up to an acceptable level. The amount of power needed also dependes on the games you are running. DS can build you a rig with plenty of power.
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 5:32pm
hdmi is not what decides whether a monitor can be used as a tv or vise versa.

Edited by DST4ME - 17 Feb 2010 at 5:32pm
Back to Top
jaypeetee44 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 15 Jan 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 184
  Quote jaypeetee44 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Feb 2010 at 6:40pm
ShockedNick 123,
 
   In the past I,ve used a computer monitor for a television screen, but that was in the day of Commodores and composite video. You can watch streaming Video from the internet without a tv card. A & E, Sci-Fi, NBC, ABC, CBS, FOX, etc. ,etc, ALL have streaming video online. I used to miss a lot of shows until I found Fancast, a part of Comcast. Some of the episodes show up a week later but most the next day after airing. You usually have to download the free codec for watching the various stations.
 
    Also Pinnicle makes a USB "stick" usually for laptops, but will work with any computer USB port. It is a tuner with a tiny remote and will receive analog as well as digital television. It has a coax connecter for the included laptop antenna or you can hook a rooftop antenna or a lead from your cable company's box and get HI DEF. I used it on my HP laptop and it actually works suprisingly well.
 
    I've been toying with the idea of hooking up the $40 converter from the government coupon to a monitor to see if it works as a tv.
 
    I just got my DS computer a week ago with an ATI 5770  and am using the HDMI port on that card for my 32" Hitachi 1920 x 1080; and am using the DVI port adapted to the VGA input on a 19" Sanyo 1920 x 1080 HDTV . Someone said I was losing a lot of definition with the VGA conversion so I'm going to the Iocal Goodwill store to look for a used monitor with DVI inputs.
 
    The picture on the 32" is really beautiful and games are a blast on something that size or better yet 40" or 50".  lol............JPTOuch


Edited by jaypeetee44 - 17 Feb 2010 at 6:44pm
Aventum X
IntelCore i9 11900K 3.5 GHz
Asus Prime 2590-P/MSI-A Pro
32GB DDR4 3200 MHz
1000W Semi-Modular 80+Gold
2xSSD M.2 1 TB Firecuda NVM X
GeForce RTX 3070 8GB VR Ready
H20 Cooling for Processor

Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 6.787109E-02 seconds.