Post Date: 2008-08-24

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
workingman View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote workingman Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor Selection
    Posted: 24 Aug 2008 at 2:52pm
samsung first, lg next..and westinghouse dead last....i have a 19 inch syncmaster 930b from samsung..its great have had for yrs..no problems..nice color..im satisfied..and when the time comes i have found the samsung 245T that has been top rated by maximum pc and will be looking to buy that one..when the time comes of courseWink
Slicer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Slicer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 25 Aug 2008 at 10:11pm
I'm buying the 22" LG Widescreen, it's beautiful in person and well I'm kinda a Sony (Big TV) and LG (little TV) kinda guy.
850 SI
Quad 9450 3.6 GHZ
790i Ultra DDR3
CPU Liquid Cooled
GTX 280
4GB 1333 DDR Corsair
Nvidia ESA System
860W PSU
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 1:01am
I don't know about LCD but in plasma TVs LG sucks.
widdlecat View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote widdlecat Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 2:56am
A good source of info on what makes diff LCD perform better than others can be found in the latest copy of maximum pc where they review a buncha monitors and tell you how to decide what to buy based upon the important stats and data of the product. The cover has a big windows thingie with a buncha balls floating around and windows symbol inside. There's also a two-page spread for DSO! Big%20smile
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 3:46am
In a nutshell or well... the aspects you'd find in a monitor, as though you were looking at a GPU.  Is response time and contrast ratio (since it's color clarity the higher the more vibrant the colors will be).  And overall most really good monitors have a contrast of 3000-4000:1 ratio.

Samsung on the other hand.  Good grief they go as high as 20,000:1 (You can find it in DSO's selection, but it's a 24" though.)  So you already covered the 2 ms aspect.  Samsung wins for the contrast ratio ahaha.

Good you can check it out.  -- Actually wait a minute....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001274

Well lookie here they have a 20,000:1 contrast ratio for a 19" monitor ahaha (at 2 ms of course).  Same pricing too (well aside from the shipping cost).  (But not exactly gonna be able to check it out.  Unless you can go to the Samsung website do a store locator and find this one lol)

It's a tilt type though (no height adjustment.)  From the reviews I read of the 24" version of this type of monitor (looks exactly the same) the only gripe about this type supposedly it tilts easily.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 26 Aug 2008 at 3:50am
"People believe in people who believe in others."
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 3:59am
lot of companies exaggerate their contrast. , Samsung is one of the biggest ones.

For a good monitor you have to look at a few things,response time, resolution, processor, Display Colors, colour depth and things like that, the BS reported contrast should be last thing on the list.

show me a monitor that has everything above higher then a samsung with a supposed higher contrast, and I will show you a monitor that will eat that samsung.

Edited by DST4ME - 26 Aug 2008 at 4:10am
Axel Daemon View Drop Down

Quote Axel Daemon Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 4:26am
I see I see.  Well for Display Colors.  Each and every monitor I scoped out all practically had the same number (like it was a regulation lol) I removed that out of my concern already lol.

Errr what's the definition of a processor in monitor terms?

Then again as they say check reviews, it's what they're around for lol.

Edited by Axel Daemon - 26 Aug 2008 at 4:52am
"People believe in people who believe in others."
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 26 Aug 2008 at 4:59am
what ever processor they have that processes the signals. Over all you will find lot of things are the same, but it comes down to quality. I went thru 5 plasmas before I chose my monitor, between, samsung, lg,philips and pioneer, pioneer ellete pro had the best picture, samsung couldn't touch it, but thats for like 50" inch monitors.

reviews are great too.

Post Reply Post Reply