FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor suggestions?

Post Date: 2009-12-03

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor suggestions?
    Posted: 03 Dec 2009 at 11:15pm
Cross posting from Hardware Discussion.
 

I'm looking into a monitor for my DS rig. Budget is a serious consideration, $600.00 or less is my budget.

Some gaming, but my DS rig will be primarily for Photography processing and video editing.
 
I am presently interested in the HP LP2475W 24in LCD Monitor 1920X1200
 
 
This is an "IPS" variant, "TFT", "16:10" monitor. All three of which is important in my choice of monitor.
 
Most monitors are consumer grade "TN" monitors that are typically just fine for most gamers and all normal home  / business uses.
 
It appears that this monitor has or will be going out of production as I don't find it on the HP web site. Might explain why it's on sale.
It appears that the number of available 16:10 ratio monitors are getting less and less in favor of 16:9.
 
Anyone have any other suggestions for a monitor with the type of requirements that I am looking for that is $600.00 or less?
 
I would prefer a 16:10 monitor, but will concider 16:9 as long as it is a "IPS" "TFT" monitor. 1920x1200 is also preferred.
 
Anyone out there that also uses their DS computer for photography or video editing that can make any suggestions?
 
Thanks.
Back to Top
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 421
  Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 5:26pm
I like my T260HD Ouch its almost the same except i got mine for 350. + speakers !
btw what's the ms on the HP LP2475W
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:32pm
when looking for a monitor, look for a monitor that has the same Viewing Angle, both vertical and horizontal, and is at or above 170°, this is a sign of a quality panel on a monitor, assuring great picture quality.

the hp you have listed has a great viewing angle, so as far as the panel goes, I say its a good one, and I think its ips.
Back to Top
satsunada View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 21 May 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 682
  Quote satsunada Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 6:45pm
All monitors have weird tweaks on manufacturers and quality components. If I recall correctly, that particular model has some issue regarding where it was built. e.g. if it's built in china yay! if it's built in Mexico you will have problems...
If knowledge is power and power corrupts, then total knowledge corrupts totally.
Back to Top
justin.kerr View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 May 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5084
  Quote justin.kerr Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 7:51pm
I have went through a lot of monitors, and the only one I have ever bought more than one of is the  PLANAR PX2611W it is a bit higher than you were budgeting but it is a 26" ..usually find it for $700.00- $750. but they are very nice.
Back to Top
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:23pm
Thanks, I'll take a look at the T260HD. Responce time on the HP is 6ms.
 
Originally posted by Kyu

I like my T260HD Ouch its almost the same except i got mine for 350. + speakers !
btw what's the ms on the HP LP2475W
Back to Top
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:27pm
As I recall the HP LP2475w is at 170. It is also IPS, which is the main reason I was looking at it considering the the sale price. About the lowest price I've found for an IPS in it's size.
 
Originally posted by DST4ME

when looking for a monitor, look for a monitor that has the same Viewing Angle, both vertical and horizontal, and is at or above 170°, this is a sign of a quality panel on a monitor, assuring great picture quality.

the hp you have listed has a great viewing angle, so as far as the panel goes, I say its a good one, and I think its ips.
Back to Top
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:32pm
Don't know about mfg orgin, but there are several reviews complaining about color shift cyan? to magenta left to right on the screen. Subtle, but noticeable to many. But, some reviews indicate it is a hit or miss. Apparently there is a batch of these as well and Dells using the same panel that have this problem. Possibly why the HP is on sale and appears that it may no longer be in production.
 
 
Originally posted by satsunada

All monitors have weird tweaks on manufacturers and quality components. If I recall correctly, that particular model has some issue regarding where it was built. e.g. if it's built in china yay! if it's built in Mexico you will have problems...
Back to Top
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Dec 2009 at 9:37pm
Thanks I'll take a look at it. But, the wife may not take so kindly to spending 700 - 750. I was hard pressed at first on getting her to accept spending nearly 3k on the DS rig! Maybe if I grovel at her feet!!!!! Yeah I'm whipped! I give her my checks, she pays the bills! Unfortunatey the checks are getting very light with this economy. Self employed is a mixed blessing!
 
 
Originally posted by justin.kerr

I have went through a lot of monitors, and the only one I have ever bought more than one of is the  PLANAR PX2611W it is a bit higher than you were budgeting but it is a 26" ..usually find it for $700.00- $750. but they are very nice.
Back to Top
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 421
  Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by CygnusX1

Thanks I'll take a look at it. But, the wife may not take so kindly to spending 700 - 750. I was hard pressed at first on getting her to accept spending nearly 3k on the DS rig! Maybe if I grovel at her feet!!!!! Yeah I'm whipped! I give her my checks, she pays the bills! Unfortunatey the checks are getting very light with this economy. Self employed is a mixed blessing!
 
 
Originally posted by justin.kerr

I have went through a lot of monitors, and the only one I have ever bought more than one of is the  PLANAR PX2611W it is a bit higher than you were budgeting but it is a 26" ..usually find it for $700.00- $750. but they are very nice.
 
lol thats why check out the T260HD for its price it's not a bad monitor or hdtv at all.
for that price it's great  ($329)
I bought one for 598.95 from bestbuy.
found another at fry's on sale for 399.99 so I bought another.
Have 2 now and it's still great, 1 is 8 months old and other is about an year old, Havn't had any problems or color fade
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 3:55pm
that monitor has a Vertical Viewing Angle:      150 degrees, Horizontal Viewing Angle:      170 degrees, that is not a sign of a good panel, I think its tn.
Back to Top
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 421
  Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 4:08pm

that is true, but as long as you're sitting with it on your view it's fine.

and when I checked alot of monitors with "height adjustment" also have similar view angles but they still put a higher number since it can be adjusted to move up and down.
 
I thought of it as 1 person using it straight on a sweet spot, the features and rest of the spec is great. if you tend to have friends sitting by you or behind you. I suppose it's not a very good monitor,
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 4:18pm
the viewing angle is not so that you have viewing angle, we use it as a filter to filter out cheap panels like tn panels.

if the viewing angle is not the same for both H and V, and is below 170° then this is a sign that the panel is a cheap panel and probably a tn panel, which means that the picture quality will not be that great at all.

put a panel that has the same Viewing Angle, both vertical and horizontal, and is at or above 170°, and you will see a good difference in picture quality.

here we like to advise good quality stuff, unless the member's budget limited then we let them know that for example this is a monitor he can get but its not the best out there.

for the price he wants to spend, he should have/get a great monitor with a great panel.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Dec 2009 at 4:21pm
Back to Top
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 421
  Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 4:36pm
you'e right TN panels arnt that great, but now a days even bestbuys are mostly stocked on TN panels, mainly due to the cheaper cost. the average doesn't want to pay so much for a monitor at a small screen.
it'll be harder to find a s-pva , p-mva , s-ips which is what I think you're recommending for a price thats almost double tn panels.
 
tn panels got alot beter than before, they got brighter,faster,color become deeper.
it's common to see even video editors using multiple tn panels
Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Dec 2009 at 7:17pm
no matter what tn panel does not have a quality of an ips or other panels, so at the end if you want a quality panel and have $600 to spend, you should get a good quality none tn panel, the HP he listed is ok and better then a tn panel.

Edited by DST4ME - 07 Dec 2009 at 7:17pm
Back to Top
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:51am
DST4ME's points are valid and to the very issue that I am dealing with regarding my choices in monitors. Unfortunately due to
my budget considerations, I can't go high end on an IPS monitor such as some of the NEC, LaCie or similar higher end monitors.
So I am forced to try and stay under the $600.00 range. If I had to settle with the offerings of most of the more widely and lower
priced TN monitors that are available, then unfortunately I will have to wait until maybe my financial considerations are not such
an issue and continue to live with my monsterous twin 22" CRT's that are hogging up my work space. They have been sitting on
my desk for many many years, but it sure would be nice to get something with a bigger screen that took up less space yet
would produce as good or better image as my CRT's.
 
I cross posted the same original post over in the hardware forum and the guys over there are recommending the Dell U2410 Ultrasharp
which as it turns out uses the same LG panel as the HP that I first brought up. Unfortunately this means the Dell has the same hit
or miss issue concerning the color shift from left to right in the screen of cyan/green to magenta/pink. But the price is much better
than the HP LP2475W. So unless someone comes up with a better monitor suggestion that I have not run across yet, then I
either take a risk on the Dell or I shut up, sit on my CRT's for now and wait. UnfortunateIy one of the CRT's is dying and....
 
...I HATE WAITING!Wink 
Back to Top
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 421
  Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 11:55am

if it were up to me, I'd save up and buy what I'll be satisfied with regardless the cost. I feel it'll feel like more of a waste of mone if you pay for something you're not content with. especially if I have to stare at it everyday lol. I'll prbbly get more and more mad the more I stare at it.

Back to Top
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 36758
  Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 1:15pm
I agree, wait and get what you want
Back to Top
CygnusX1 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 25 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
  Quote CygnusX1 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 3:16pm
 
Sometimes reality bytes!!!, but you guys ARE pointing out the reality that it would be best to wait a while. Your making my wife VERY HAPPY! Stern%20Smile Damnit!
 
 
 
Originally posted by DST4ME
 
I agree, wait and get what you want
 
 
Originally posted by Kyu

if it were up to me, I'd save up and buy what I'll be satisfied with regardless the cost. I feel it'll feel like more of a waste of mone if you pay for something you're not content with. especially if I have to stare at it everyday lol. I'll prbbly get more and more mad the more I stare at it.

Back to Top
Kyu View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 29 Nov 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 421
  Quote Kyu Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Dec 2009 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by CygnusX1

 
Sometimes reality bytes!!!, but you guys ARE pointing out the reality that it would be best to wait a while. Your making my wife VERY HAPPY! Stern%20Smile Damnit!
 
 
 
Originally posted by DST4ME
 
I agree, wait and get what you want
 
 
Originally posted by Kyu

if it were up to me, I'd save up and buy what I'll be satisfied with regardless the cost. I feel it'll feel like more of a waste of mone if you pay for something you're not content with. especially if I have to stare at it everyday lol. I'll prbbly get more and more mad the more I stare at it.

 
LOOL, yeah when i was stuck on if I wanted the new LED LCD or Plasma
My gf was happy that I decied to wait and save up, so she got her shopping.
she wasn't too happy once i finally had enough for my plasma + telling her I'm buying a new desktop 4 months after the plasma that's 5k or around there.
lol you're wife wont be so happy in a few weeks once you have enough Ouch
 
 
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.046875 seconds.