FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor

Post Date: 2012-11-05

 Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor
    Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 10:30am
Would anyone recommend the HP 23" widescreen flat panel ips led hp monitor or just the dell ultrasharps? I'm debating on which one i want whenever i get my new computer bought.
Back to Top
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20391
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 11:48am
I have the UltraSharp, but HP, Asus, etc all have real nice monitors.  I can't say for the others, but Dell does have a very good reputation on monitor warranty coverage and service.  The others maybe also, but just don't know.
Back to Top
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2254
  Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 2:19pm
Hi ArkansasWoman77,

One thing you need to watch out for is the type of finish on the screen. HP sells a lot of monitors with a high gloss reflective screen. I find them very hard to use do to back ground lights reflecting off of the screen. That is, lights behind me that hit the screen. I don't know the exact model you are looking at but be careful. A matte finish screen is much easier on the eyes.

Frank
Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 2:25pm
Model: 2311XI
Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 2:29pm
heres a pic of it



Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 05 Nov 2012 at 2:30pm
Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 2:34pm
Back to Top
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 214
  Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 2:40pm
I've been out of the loop on newer technology for some time with my illness.  I don't know if things have changed, but it used to be in the past that a response time was very important to help prevent ghosting.  With an LED monitor I don't know if this is different.  The specs on the 2311XI is showing 7 ms typical.  A good monitor for fast action was below 4 ms in the past.
Like I said, I don't know if this still applies.

Back to Top
FrankW View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran


Joined: 22 Feb 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2254
  Quote FrankW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 3:20pm
Hi JerryW,

I hope all of that illness is behind you now.

The problem is that manufactures discovered response time sold TN type monitors. So they publish anything they wanted to. There is no industry standard on how to determined response time. So the specs mean little. Then came along IPS type monitors with way longer response times in the specs but no problem with gaming. So when I look at monitors I don't even look at response times. What ever the response time is for an IPS type monitor, it doesn't matter. It is all about the picture.

Here is a review on the HP monitor. Sells for a good price but doesn't have a good stand.

Frank

Edited by FrankW - 05 Nov 2012 at 3:26pm
Back to Top
JerryW View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 10 Oct 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 214
  Quote JerryW Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by FrankW

Hi JerryW,

I hope all of that illness is behind you now.

Frank


It would be great if it was behind me. I've been dealing with Hodgkin's Lymphomia on and off for 28 years. I just finished up with a new chemo called Adcetris or SGN-35 when it was still on trials. Just dealing with the side effects it has caused.
Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 4:29am
I'm not to worried about it not being a good stand i could probably deal with it.
Back to Top
retirednavysnipe View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 06 Apr 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 606
  Quote retirednavysnipe Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 5:25am
I use HP monitors because I cannot justify to myself the $700-$1000 price tag for the 27 to 30 inch Dell monitors. I have used HP 23 and HP 27 inch monitors and I love them, great colors, no glare that I have experienced, no dead pixels. Just a overall great performing Monitor.

This is my experience but it is up to you to make up your mind.
Hailstorm Black Ops
I7 3930K 4.5GHZ
16GB 1600MHZ ram
2 x GTX 680
120 GB SSD, 1 TB hardrive
Fully liquid cooled CPU, GPU and chipset.
Back to Top
bprat22 View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

DigitalStorm East -- (Unofficially!)
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 08 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 20391
  Quote bprat22 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 7:33am
ArkansasWoman777...    If the HP monitor in the second pic comes with the wine, then I say...Go HP !!  Hahaha
Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Nov 2012 at 1:50pm
Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 12:59pm
This monitor looks soo cool. Aside from the glossy screen. Its response time is 3ms.




http://www.techbargains.com/reviews/290516

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 10 Nov 2012 at 12:59pm
Back to Top
HockeyBuck View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1608
  Quote HockeyBuck Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Nov 2012 at 3:12pm
Hi Arkansas...Have never used HP. I have always used Dell Ultrasharps - very durable & reliable monitors.   After a week of breaking in 3 new Dell LED panels, I can highly recommend the new Dell Ultrasharp U2412M LED e-IPS 24" monitor. Simple OSD with actual buttons to push...lol, 1920 X 1200 resolution, 16 x 10 aspect, matte screen, accurate colors really pop, power use is low & despite the 8 ms spec I have noticed no ghosting or lag while gaming. They run nice & cool temp, unlike my old Dell U2407 LCD monitor. Fully adjustable 4 way stands as well.
Currently $299 each on newegg...$10 cheaper than I paid!..:-)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260047&Tpk=Dell%20U2412M
Back to Top
oldlady RPGer View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

One of the cool kids
Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 09 Sep 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1080
  Quote oldlady RPGer Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 9:35am
Hey Arkansas Woman. 
Well I'm kinda a one monitor type of gal.  I love my HP ZR24w monitor 24 in. S-IPS LCD.  8 way comfort adjust.
It's 1920x1200 with 7ms response.  I know it's an older model but I have had no problems with it, ever.
And as a gaming monitor?  No lag, no ghosting.  Torchlight II looks fabulous.
Will I upgrade?  Yes.  I like the one you picked.  Big%20Smile
 
 
Me sitting my ECMO in PICU. Now you know why I like LC. ;)

Back to Top
ArkansasWoman777 View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Joined: 19 Aug 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4314
  Quote ArkansasWoman777 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 10:07am
it look awesome

Edited by ArkansasWoman777 - 13 Nov 2012 at 10:50am
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 8.203125E-02 seconds.