FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitor to go with new rig

Post Date: 2020-09-03

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Seraphic View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitor to go with new rig
    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 at 4:40pm
Hiya folks...

Just got my new DS rig a few days ago. I have an older monitor but got a RTX 2080 Super video card in the new computer. (I couldnt hold off; my old computer basically died and I needed something).

That being said, not liking curved monitors, I am looking at 2 I was thinking on:

Asus ROG Swift PG279Q 27" Gaming Monitor

or

Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" Gaming Monitor

Any input from people on these monitors with 2080 Super card? I may go for a TRX 30 line card in the next 2 months as well so want the monitor to carry over.

Im not a computer savvy person so input is appreciated. ;)
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 5:12am
The first one is 1440p, which is plenty of resolution in a 27" monitor IMHO. Your 2080 SUPER will drive that monitor just fine at high frame rates. It is an older panel that seems to be in short supply, but has been a top rated unit. It may be discontinued. It may be available from minor sellers at the correct price of around $7-800. You should not pay more. A much newer unit from Asus is the TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27”. It appears to be every bit the equivalent, is widely available at a better price.

The second is a high refresh rate 4K monitor at an insane $2000. IMHO, there is no way a human eye could perceive $1300 worth of difference while trying to process all the sensory input during a game. Your card would nearly choke to death trying to output framerates that could do it any justice. You'd probably need an RTX 3900 for $1500.

If you want to have $3500 in your video subsystem plus whatever it may take to not make your $900 investment in the 2080 SUPER a total waste, go for it.
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 04 Sep 2020 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Cretae

The first one is 1440p, which is plenty of resolution in a 27" monitor IMHO. Your 2080 SUPER will drive that monitor just fine at high frame rates. It is an older panel that seems to be in short supply, but has been a top rated unit. It may be discontinued. It may be available from minor sellers at the correct price of around $7-800. You should not pay more. A much newer unit from Asus is the TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27”. It appears to be every bit the equivalent, is widely available at a better price.

The second is a high refresh rate 4K monitor at an insane $2000. IMHO, there is no way a human eye could perceive $1300 worth of difference while trying to process all the sensory input during a game. Your card would nearly choke to death trying to output framerates that could do it any justice. You'd probably need an RTX 3900 for $1500.

If you want to have $3500 in your video subsystem plus whatever it may take to not make your $900 investment in the 2080 SUPER a total waste, go for it.

Hey thank you for the feedback! Do you feel the upcoming 3090 card would work well with the TUF Gaming VG27AQL1A 27 monitor you suggested or would that card work better with a different one?
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 3:47am
The 3090 would be completely pointless for driving a 1440p monitor. The card for that would be the 2080 SUPER you already have. It will play every game on Ultra settings, and most of those at very high frame rates. You could move up to a 3070 at your leisure, but I would give the 2080 a thorough workout first. The 3070 will be more than enough at 1440p, I think. Nvidia says it is faster than a 2080 Ti, and that card never faltered at 1440p. At least after you have checked out your 2080 S, there would be plenty of benchmarks and analysis to look at.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

We don't need no stinking "Avatars" !

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm
Cretae is correct. that card you have is very good and will move the 1440 at max settings.
I have both the PG279UQ and the PG27U (not the later Q). I will agree that unless you don't mind spending the money the 1440 is tops. The 4K is crystal clear though. Mind you that you would need the 2080Ti or a 3080 to run the 4K. The 3090 will of course be a bit overkill since it is for 8K.
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 2:47pm
Thanks folks!

So what im hearing if I am correct is:

*Hold off on a 3090 until bechmarks/reviews come in sine I just got the 2080 super.

*The $1200 PG279UQ is too much for a monitor and would be pointless if I upgrade to a 3090 down the road anyway.

*The VG27AQL1A 27" will work fine with my 2080 Super. So go with this monitor for now.

Are there even monitors that would be workable with the 3090 card? Will the 4k only work with a 2080Ti and up period?
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 05 Sep 2020 at 10:43pm
The 3090 will move a 4K fine and do it for quite a stretch of time. There are higher resolution monitors (5K, 8K and higher) but they are monstrously expensive and directed to the scientific/medical fields.

Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 4:36am
I think if you scored the Asus TUF VG27AQL1A 27", you would be VERY happy with your RTX 2080 SUPER for a very long time.

My very best suggestion for you at some point would be to go somewhere you could physically buy a 4K monitor with all the rights to return it. Bring it home and compare it side by side with the Asus TUF using your 2080 card on a couple of games that don't kill video cards. The 2080 will do 60fps at 4k on a lot of games. See what your eyes tell you. There is a lot of reaction out in the world that 4K at 27"or even 34" is just not that noticeable over 1440p at high refresh rates.

Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 8:44am
Let me ask this:

With the TUF VG27AQL1A, I am reading some reviews about ghosting at 60hz. Again, not sure what this means for games I play: either stuff like world of warcraft to Ark Survival Evolved.

Thoughts on this monitor too: SAMSUNG 27-inch Odyssey G7. Curved yes but reading about it, it sounds decent? And I'm guessing the Acer Predator X27 is the same situation as the PG27UQ?

Edited by Seraphic - 06 Sep 2020 at 9:44am
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 10:13am
When will you run at 60 MHz? The card won't limit you and the native refresh of the monitor is 165MHz IIRC.

I mentioned that monitor simply because it appears to be the modern successor to the PG279Q which is nearly 5 years old and hard to obtain that you were looking at. I can't really make other observations about the dozens of 1440p monitors there are. You definitely want G-Sync compatible and should want an IPS panel. You can have a look here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-all-nvidia-g-sync-compatible-freesync-monitors

And you can Google "best 1440p monitors". FWIW, the Asus TUF might be edged out by something a bit cheaper, but it looked pretty feature rich from a front line seller. That's an observation, not an endorsement.
netranger6 View Drop Down

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 9:30pm
I went with the AROUS 27-p.   So far so good.
hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 06 Sep 2020 at 11:19pm

Awesome
(AORUS)

Edited by hoserator - 06 Sep 2020 at 11:21pm
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 3:41am
Doubtless you will be more pleased with a selection you made yourself. It looks really good.

Enjoy!
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by netranger6

I went with the AROUS 27-p.   So far so good.

What is the Arous 27-p??
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 07 Sep 2020 at 11:57am

Doubtless you will be more pleased with a selection you made yourself. It looks really good.

Enjoy!

I think I may end up going with this one:

ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q 27”

hoserator View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote hoserator Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2020 at 11:22am
Congratulations, that is a very super nice monitor. You will love it. Smile

I think netranger6 meant the Gigabyte Aorus FI27Q-P
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 5:22am
Originally posted by hoserator

Gotcha, thanks. Then again, that monitor seems to be sold out no matter where I look...picking and actually being able to order a monitor seems like more of a nightmare then getting the computer itself..

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by Seraphic

Originally posted by hoserator

Gotcha, thanks. Then again, that monitor seems to be sold out no matter where I look...picking and actually being able to order a monitor seems like more of a nightmare then getting the computer itself..

Yeah, that's what I meant. Sorry for not putting all of it. I found mine on Amazon, was like 2 left. BHT would have 1 or 2, and New Egg as well. But they get sold quickly. Surprisingly, mine has a build date of 06/2020.

Now, just waiting on my Lumous that is in stage 6. Ryzen 9 3900x, Asus ROG Hero VIII wifi, 32 gigs Corsair Rbg, Geforce 2070 super. Corsair fans, stage 2 hydro, 10 PRO. NVme 500 firecuda. Plus default spinner.

I also got a 80x30 Uplift V2 commercial desk, rubber wood, and all Razer for peripherals. Razer Huntsman Elite, Baliska mouse, the large pad. Have it all slaved into the iMac currently, which will be in the kids room once the Lumous arrives.

Quote netranger6 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 09 Sep 2020 at 1:25pm
Digital Storm Desktop - Config ID 3302828     1     $3,422.00
Chassis Model: Digital Storm Lumos
Exterior Finish: - Standard Factory Finish
Trim Accents: - Standard Factory Finish
Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X (12-Core) 4.6 GHz Turbo
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (AMD X570 Chipset) (Up to 3x PCI-E Devices)
System Memory: 32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (RGB Light Bar)
Power Supply: 850W Corsair / EVGA / Thermaltake (Modular) (80 Plus Gold)
Expansion Bay: - No Thanks
Optical Drive: - No Thanks
Storage Set 1: 1x SSD M.2 (500GB Seagate FireCuda 520) (NVM Express) (Gen4 PCIe)
Storage Set 2: 1x Storage (2TB Seagate / Toshiba / Hitachi)
Storage Set 3: - No Thanks
RAID Config: - No Thanks
RAID Card: - No Thanks
Internet Access: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Graphics Card(s): 1x GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB (VR Ready)
Sound Card: Integrated Motherboard Audio
Add On Card: - No Thanks
Extreme Cooling: H20: Stage 2: Digital Storm Vortex Liquid CPU Cooler (Dual Fan) (Fully Sealed + No Maintenance)
HydroLux Tubing Style: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
HydroLux Fluid Color: - Not Applicable, I do not have a custom HydroLux liquid cooling system selected
Cable Management: Exotic Cable Management - Green - (Cable Combs with Custom Color Sleeved Extension Cables)
Chassis Fans: Corsair LL Series (RGB Fans) (Software Controlled Effects)
Internal Lighting: Remote Controlled Advanced LED Lighting System (Multiple RGB Color Modes)
Airflow Control: - No Thanks
Chassis Mods: - No Thanks
Noise Reduction: - No Thanks
LaserMark: Option Not Available
CPU Boost: Stock Factory Turbo Boost Advanced Automatic Overclocking
Graphics: Yes, Overclock the video card(s) as much as possible with complete stability
OS Boost: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Professional (64-Bit Edition)
Recovery Tools: USB Drive - Windows 10 Installation (Format and Clean Install)
Virus Protection: Windows Defender Antivirus (Built-in to Windows 10)
Office: - No Thanks
Mouse Pad: - No Thanks
Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Branded Gear: - No Thanks
Priority Build: - No Thanks, 6 Week Ship Estimate After Order Is Successfully Processed
Warranty: Life-time Expert Care with 3 Year Limited Warranty (          
119591     -- PROMOTIONAL LIMITED TIME BONUS DISCOUNT: $300     1     ($300.00)
2630453     -- NVIDIA Bundle - Tom Clancys Rainbow Six Siege Gold Edition (Digital Code)     1     $0.00
2716648     -- AMD Ryzen Bundle - Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Digital Code)     1     $0.00
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 7:53am
Whats frustrating is the Asus monitor is sold out everywhere. So I spend time looking and researching more of them.

Now im looking at LG 27GN950-B which looks better then the Asus ones. However, it too is sold out all over. This is nuts..
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 2:00pm
Not quite everywhere.

https://www.adorama.com/asxg279q.html?utm_source=adl-gbase-hometech

You do realize the first one is 1440p and the last one 4K?
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 10 Sep 2020 at 4:23pm

Not quite everywhere.

https://www.adorama.com/asxg279q.html?utm_source=adl-gbase-hometech

You do realize the first one is 1440p and the last one 4K?

Ahh yeah I seen the Adorama (Never heard/ordered from them before) but its a pre-sale. Not in stock yet.

As for the LG 27GN950-B: I keep seeing it come up in comparison to the Asus? Would the 4k be a better benefit? I dont think any game I play (Overwatch, Ark, WoW, etc) is 4k? And all I use the comp for is games..
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Sep 2020 at 3:28am

I think if you scored the Asus TUF VG27AQL1A 27", you would be VERY happy with your RTX 2080 SUPER for a very long time.

My very best suggestion for you at some point would be to go somewhere you could physically buy a 4K monitor with all the rights to return it. Bring it home and compare it side by side with the Asus TUF using your 2080 card on a couple of games that don't kill video cards. The 2080 will do 60fps at 4k on a lot of games. See what your eyes tell you. There is a lot of reaction out in the world that 4K at 27"or even 34" is just not that noticeable over 1440p at high refresh rates.

That's what I think. The 2080 won't run a 4k very well at all, but will kill at 2k. All depends on what you want/can do with your 2080 investment. Without benchmarks, we don't yet have enough information to know what kind of frame rates to expect on a high refresh 4k monitor from a 3080. The safe bet is the 3090.
Seraphic View Drop Down

Quote Seraphic Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 17 Sep 2020 at 10:28am

That's what I think. The 2080 won't run a 4k very well at all, but will kill at 2k. All depends on what you want/can do with your 2080 investment. Without benchmarks, we don't yet have enough information to know what kind of frame rates to expect on a high refresh 4k monitor from a 3080. The safe bet is the 3090.

Sorry, I am slow but i think im coming around...

So what Im looking at is this:

I have the RTX 2080 Super right now. Ill go with the Asus XG279Q 27" monitor (Sold out, waiting for more) and chug along.

Down the road, in a month or two, ill snag the 3090 since I will be able to afford it ;) With that then in the computer, I can go back and look at the Asus XG27UQ for 4k or 8k gaming if I am so inclined.

I dont know how fast prices go up. I could by both monitors right now but hate spending the money for one to sit there until i get the 3090 card...

Though, I did read, as you said, a number of people seem to feel 4k etc on a 27" or even 32" monitor is pointless. And as an older gamer, im not sure I want a 40"+ monitor to go blind at just to play WoW in 4k. So its food for thought I guess.

I dont have anywhere around here I can test 4k as you had suggested really.

Edited by Seraphic - 17 Sep 2020 at 10:35am
 Post Reply Post Reply