Monitors: Educate me, please

Post Date: 2018-10-10

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitors: Educate me, please
    Posted: 10 Oct 2018 at 9:56am
I am looking to buy my third consecutive DS system for gaming but first I need to understand more about monitor options. I'll be doing a lot of flight and race simming but want to get a large, capable monitor rather than rely on VR for an immersive experience. I am a competent end-user but not highly technical so I would prefer one big, maybe curved monitor to triples. I know a 32-incher goes for about $1K. I would be very grateful if some one could guide me re. the following:

- Do monitors this size have good enough refresh rates -- and whatever other performance criteria it takes -- for high-end simming and FPS gaming?

- What would be the minimum necessary graphics card setup to run a monitor of this size at full capacity?

- Is there a tradeoff between monitor size and resolution (if this is a misguided question please bear with me...)

Many thanks, gents, as ever.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:00am
My knowledge is not terribly deep, but I believe I have some answers for you.

I have not personally experienced any artifacting from response rates. TN panels are the quickest, often touting 1ms response whereas IPS panels usually log in at 4-5ms. The slower the response, you may experience "ghosting"... trails behind very fast moving objects on screen as the response time tries to keep up with the object's movement. The difference between the two types of display, however, are striking. TN panels tend not to be as bright and color rich as IPS panels, and they are not capable of a very wide viewing angle, so you must be centered in front of the display.

Refresh rates are inherent in the capability of the display you buy. IMO, there is a little obsession with higher refresh rates these days mostly because the tech is available to go well beyond 60 fps. But here's the thing: TV and movies we all grew up on are 24 fps, and no one I've known has ever complained. The gold standard for monitor refresh has been 60 fps forever until the tech could achieve more. If 24 is the norm, 60 must be lights out, right? If 60 is great, who needs 100, or 120, or 144? The fact is we don't see in fps, so it's highly subjective. Many people CAN see a difference, but mostly when two displays are side by side, and not so much otherwise.

I would recommend you select a 1440p monitor capable of better than 60fps because of the high speed games you prefer. You might want to select one that comes with G-sync for Nvidia. The minimum card for high performance at that spec would be a GTX 1080. The larger the display (32" vs 27" for example) will not affect your experience or place a greater demand on your card. The amount of pixels displayed won't change, they'll just be the tiniest bit larger on a larger diplay. TN vs IPS is really a tough call. A lot of people can't detect ghosting very well either. (That appears to include me, lol.

I think you will find you can come in well under $1k and hit all those marks. Don't hesitate to look into these issues and draw your own conclusions!

Hope it helps.
Bahger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Bahger Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 11 Oct 2018 at 10:27pm
This is a very helpful overview and much needed; thank you for taking the time.

This is an IPS monitor that behaves like a bit of a hybrid between IPS and TN. According to a customer review, "I chose this display due to its extremely positive reviews as being a great middle ground between an IPS and a TN panel. Unlike most IPS panels, this panel has no backlight bleed. Unlike most TN panels, this VA panel has good viewing angles, very dark blacks and great color accuracy."

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK850G-B-Gaming-Monitor-Refresh/dp/B078TTXLW5

Thanks again for a most valuable assist.
Cretae View Drop Down
DS Veteran
DS Veteran

Quote Cretae Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 12 Oct 2018 at 8:48am
That mon looks like aces to me. I especially like the comment, "5ms {response time}, but if you tell the difference between that and 1ms especially with 144 fps possible and gsync capability your a bot."

Sounds like that covers the one issue I couldn't answer for you. I think you're golden IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply