FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Monitors vs dell outlet vs gaming question

Post Date: 2016-09-08

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
darbebo View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: Monitors vs dell outlet vs gaming question
    Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 5:46am
Hi there,

Question:
assuming I'm running a single gtx1070 founders without OC-ing the gpu, 16gb ram 6700k.
With primary monitor: Dell U2312HM plugged into the HDMI port via DVI/HDMI converter. I "believe" i am called "gaming on a 1080" (tough to work on the lingo)

Secondary monitor: random 22nd Dell monitor from 5 years+ ago plugged in through DVI

The gaming is all done on the primary monitor only, the secondary monitor is used to just play videos/movies while I game. So no, I do not plan on using both screens to game "at the same time"

My questions are:

1. Seems like I am not 'making the best use' of the gtx 1070. Sure I am getting 200+ FPS on dota (less in game, but still WAY better than before) and I'm maxing out everying on WoW, but seems like i'm not making the most out of it, is that correct?

2. If the above is correct, what adjustment would I benefit from making? Bigger monitor size? "game on 1440p"? what else?

3. I see that Dell 2415 appears to be on sale for approx 140 on Dell OUTLET. Is that where my next jump should be? I believe the 2415 was really recommended throughout DS.

4. It seems that monitors rarely dies so making a justification to buy a new one is really tough as both my monitors are working fine and I am not really complaining at all on graphics, more like i don't even know if i will notice any difference getting a new monitor. So I want to ensure that if i do get a new one i want to "notice a difference" and so not sure going up an inch would help.

4a. So would going to 27 inch be the "de facto" solution? and if so,
https://www.monitornerds.com/best-gaming-monitor-for-you-144hz-1440p-gsync-freesync-4k/

am i hopelessly pigeon-holed in spending $800 for "these types" of monitors? if so i guess I will have to wait. I saw the other thread about 1440p and those monitors are 600+$

4b. if "size" is where i shouuld make the advancement i see some 27inch below 200$, but it says 1080. So just wondering what is the right move..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014378

5. Does Gsync even matter? not reallly sure what it is..

so all in all, just making sure I am really making a difference because this is absolutely the last monitor i'll be buying for a loooong while and I may be pushing myself to make a call, esp with the refurb dell U2415.....
thanks guys...

Number of DS rig owned: 2
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 6:09am
When you buy a monitor you want to take into account the panel type, ips is one of the best right now, you want to think about the resolution, refresh rate, and then the other stuff like color and etc.

Now panel type is very important, its the first thing that decides your image quality. IPS is very good here.

Resolution is the next one, the higher the res the more details the image has, the more details the image has the better it looks, aka 1080p looks better than 720p, or 1440p looks better than 1080p, and so on and so forth, now 4k is the next kid on the block but its life span is not gonna be as long as 1440p since 8k is already in talks.

Refresh rate of the monitor will decide on how much better your monitor will perform during very fast moving scenarios.

Those are just some very general info.

forget that site you are looking at, go to tftcentral and get to know what aspects of a monitor you need to look at and then also look for their review of monitors.

check out tftcentral here You don't have to look at everything on that page just look at Resolution/Aspect Ratio/Panel Type/Response Time/Viewing Angles/Refresh Rate.

Once you are comfortable with those then checkout the rest.

When you are ready to buy a monitor always checkout its review from users on newegg, if it has more than 12% to 13% negative reviews then I'm out.(this could be 1 start and 2 star reviews combined with a pattern).

IMHO the best monitor for gaming these days is gonna be a good one that is ips/144hz/4k. They dont make those yet but they will be coming out late this year or early next year

For Gsync look here

Edited by DST4ME - 08 Sep 2016 at 6:14am
darbebo View Drop Down

Quote darbebo Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 6:22am
Thanks DST4ME, seems like the game here is to wait a little bit....

But would you say it would be a waste to get a 24inch with 1440/ips/144hz/4k?

and lastly...the 1070 can support it right? or do I have to dial down on my game settings or it depends on the game? because if i go up in monitor size/resolution and i have to lower my settings on my "new 1070" then it just sucks ....lol
Number of DS rig owned: 2
DST4ME View Drop Down
DS ELITE
DS ELITE

Quote DST4ME Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 08 Sep 2016 at 6:36am
Depends on the game. Some games may need sli 1070.

but as I mentioned read the info on tftcentral and all your questions will be answered.

Lot of things you are asking are more preference.

I doubt you will get 4k on 24inch.
 Post Reply Post Reply