FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

More RAM for 10 Year-Old Digital Storm?

Post Date: 2019-12-14

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
GreenBonnie01 View Drop Down

Email address used to purchase matched with forums account email.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote GreenBonnie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Topic: More RAM for 10 Year-Old Digital Storm?
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 10:24am
I’m looking to increase RAM memory to 16 or 24 GB in a 10 year-old DS build. There’s doesn’t seem to be a compelling reason for increasing the RAM beyond the present 12 GB in this machine, but would like to do it anyway.

The processor is an Intel Core i7 930, motherboard is a EVGA X58 LE, and current RAM is three 4 GB DDR3 1600MHz sticks (total of 12 GB RAM). I’m thinking that the cleanest way to get to 24 GB would be to replace the three 4 GB sticks with three 8 GB sticks. This configuration would preserve the three-channel memory scheme. My concerns are: 1) would the EVGA X58 motherboard recognize 8 GB DDR3 sticks, and 2) 8 GB DDR3 does not appear available in matching 3 packs, would buying two 2 packs present problems due to possible slight manufacturing differences in the memory chips.

Alternately, a 16 GB upgrade would entail the purchase of two 8 GB sticks, in that instance my concern regarding the ability of the EVGA motherboard to recognize 8 GB DDR3 remains. And, not sure if losing the three-channel memory scheme is worth the addition of 4 GB of RAM. Thanks for your help.

Edited by GreenBonnie01 - 14 Dec 2019 at 10:26am
Snaike View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Just a dude trying to keep the spam away

Quote Snaike Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:10am
Forgive the newbie in the corner (me!) but I thought and have always understood that RAM comes in pairs. If that is the case how can one machine have 3 "sticks"? Last I checked 3 wasn't a pair...

I'm so confused...   

Quote GreenBonnie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 11:37am
I'll admit to a less than good understanding of memory configurations. From what I gather, three-channel memory was something that Intel briefly promoted (circa 2010?) but no longer supports. The advantage claimed was that three-channel memory allowed faster communication with the bus / motherboard since there were three (or some multiple of three) memory chips communicating with the bus rather than two memory chips. Guessing this advantage was not significant since memory is now mostly dual channel (two RAM sticks). Not sure is one channel memory is still available on modern motherboards.
Nomad1970 View Drop Down

Quote Nomad1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:19pm
On newegg I saw some 4 packs, that might be what you have to do.
My Precious 2
I7-9700 oc 4.7GHz
32GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro
SSD M.2 (512GB Samsung 970 PRO)
SSD M.2 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
240GB Samsung 860 Pro SSD
1TB W.D. HD
EVGA GTX 1080Ti

Quote GreenBonnie01 Quote  Post ReplyReply bullet Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:45pm
That's a good idea - buying a 4 x 8 GB pack should ensure that the 3 sticks I need are matched.
 Post Reply Post Reply